Register free!


Reply
 
Thread Tools   Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-08-2011, 11:48 PM
lawnguy26's Avatar
lawnguy26 lawnguy26 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Dominion 2L

Chinch bugs and webworms/armyworms about the only insects I worry about each year on my warm season turfgrasses. I never used systemic insecticides on my lawns because of costs and I really didn't need them since I service every month.
Started using imidiclopirid this year due to the cheaper prices, specifically dominion 2L. It has worked excellent, with bifenthrin, in regards to controlling chinch bugs, but I was kind of excited about possibly preventing webworms with it's systemic abilities. Got a call yesterday from a cust who said they were losing there lawn. Went out there today and found the lawn ravished by webworms. Dominion 2L was applied to this lawn at the highest rate, .6 oz M, on 4/14 and 6/16. Kinda dissapointing.
__________________
Death is unkown to all, yet life is taken for granted.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:33 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy26 View Post
Chinch bugs and webworms/armyworms about the only insects I worry about each year on my warm season turfgrasses. I never used systemic insecticides on my lawns because of costs and I really didn't need them since I service every month.
Started using imidiclopirid this year due to the cheaper prices, specifically dominion 2L. It has worked excellent, with bifenthrin, in regards to controlling chinch bugs, but I was kind of excited about possibly preventing webworms with it's systemic abilities. Got a call yesterday from a cust who said they were losing there lawn. Went out there today and found the lawn ravished by webworms. Dominion 2L was applied to this lawn at the highest rate, .6 oz M, on 4/14 and 6/16. Kinda dissapointing.
.


26

I have Two Things say.


First: Sod Webworms are not listed on the label as a controlled insect.

Second thing is: Did you read the label?? DO NOT APPLY MORE THAN 1.6 PT (O.4 LB OF ACTIVE INGREDIENT) PER ACRE PER YEAR. If you are targeying Chinch bugs then you can only apply Dominion 2L once a year at full label rate.



.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-09-2011, 09:43 AM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
why would it kill webworm? dont see it on the label...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:02 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory View Post
why would it kill webworm? dont see it on the label...
Karl

As a homeowner / non professional Green Industry person, you are like a one eyed man in a world of blind lawn boys.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-09-2011, 10:29 AM
gregory gregory is offline
LawnSite Bronze Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: southwest florida
Posts: 1,061
Ric, when i seen this post the first thing that came to mind was he went over the limit and webworms werent on the label. checked the label and webworms are not on there...
__________________
The Internet lets you be anything you wannabe except smart. Your stupidity will always come out.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-09-2011, 12:55 PM
RigglePLC's Avatar
RigglePLC RigglePLC is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Grand Rapids MI
Posts: 9,569
Imidcloprid is systemic in rose bushes and trees--given time. Is imidcloprid systemic in grass? Does it claim to be systemic in grass?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-09-2011, 06:52 PM
bx24 bx24 is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: MA/TX
Posts: 502
I personally like Dominion 2L more then others...you CAN use this product for Chinch bugs per the label, page 8..

Read the label since it is a great product when used correctly.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-09-2011, 11:45 PM
lawnguy26's Avatar
lawnguy26 lawnguy26 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Florida
Posts: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
.


26

I have Two Things say.


First: Sod Webworms are not listed on the label as a controlled insect.

Second thing is: Did you read the label?? DO NOT APPLY MORE THAN 1.6 PT (O.4 LB OF ACTIVE INGREDIENT) PER ACRE PER YEAR. If you are targeying Chinch bugs then you can only apply Dominion 2L once a year at full label rate.



.
Yes you are right. It is 1.6 pt per acre. For some reason I was under the impression I could do almost 3 apps at high rate. I dont know. maybe i was thinking there were 32 ounces in a pint?

I also thought webworms were on the merit label. We use to use it as a preventative for webworms when I worked for a big company here in FL. and that was a phd entomologist setting up those applications. I stand corrected on both counts.
__________________
Death is unkown to all, yet life is taken for granted.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-10-2011, 11:01 AM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Imidcloprid is systemic in rose bushes and trees--given time. Is imidcloprid systemic in grass? Does it claim to be systemic in grass?
Riggles

You need a hobby other than Pesticides to cross train you failing mind. The Big SELLING POINT with Merit, is it controls both Grubs and Mole Crickets in Turf because it is systemic in Turf. Imidacloprid will bond with any organic material alive of dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnguy26 View Post
Yes you are right. It is 1.6 pt per acre. For some reason I was under the impression I could do almost 3 apps at high rate. I dont know. maybe i was thinking there were 32 ounces in a pint?

I also thought webworms were on the merit label. We use to use it as a preventative for webworms when I worked for a big company here in FL. and that was a phd entomologist setting up those applications. I stand corrected on both counts.
26

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, because it works on resistant chinch bugs many are over using it. They are however reading the label and knowingly over using it. They just aren't announcing it to the world. My area is lucky we don't have resistant chinch bugs. As far as PhD and Universities goes always read the label. I have seen a lot of misinformation from those people. We are in fact the end users of their research and fact is they have no clue to the real world. We are the ones responsible for following the label Law. I am not saying we all don't use a broad interpretation of the label now and again. But we don't tell the world when we do.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:43 AM.

Page generated in 0.09215 seconds with 7 queries