Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Member

How to become licensed

Ok so I was cutting grass and installing shrubs and mulch at my Aunt and grandmas house today. They are two houses on a big piece of property. So I see a townsmen taking pictures of my truck. I approach him and ask if theres a problem? He said yea your unlicensed there buddy and your in big trouble. First off i have no idea how he would know i was unlicensed without asking me, he probally made an assumption. but anyways i say o really? This is my aunts house and im doing her a favor. Then he points to the other house and goes o really whos house is that buddy? I say my grandmas sir. Then he asks if I had any other accounts and I said no and he asked me three more times. Then he said well you can explain that in court. I call my dad and he goes nuts saying how big of bullshit that is and went down to town hall and got the thing squashed. But this is bullshit in my opinion too but maybe a good oppurtunity. Almost all my accounts are family and family friends and neighbors. I was wondering how do I go about getting licensed so I can actually cut grass and not have to worry about getting chased after by the town and can advertise and try to obtain more accounts. I live in New york if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for the help.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You shouldn't have to have a license to mow grass. If you were spraying or applying pesticides then you could get in trouble. Should have got the guys title and name. I would have been a little more nasty with him.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea I know I should have been. If I knew i could i would have. My dad told me I should have told him to go F*ck him self but I didnt know what his authority was.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Do you think he meant not owning an LLC or working for one?
Old 07-09-2011, 05:42 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you pay taxes (for your business that you have, but say you don't have)?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:57 AM
LawnSite Member

I said I didnt have anymore accounts because i didn't want to get in trouble. No I do not pay taxes on my 12 accounts. So all I need is to make an LLC and file my taxes right and Im Legit right?
Old 07-09-2011, 09:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't even need to file for an LLC you can just file them on your 1099 as additional income. Talk to an accountant. I'm going to school to become one currently so you could talk to me in 2 years lol.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Did he write you a citation or give you any kind of paper work noting a violation of local ordinance? Your entitled to due process.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't the license to cut grass. You need the license to conduct business (regardless of type). Some places call them occupational licenses. They are really nothing more than a state or local tax fee (mine is 28.00). Check the NYS govermnet website for business info. Reporting income to the IRS is completely different.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't really even need a license to conduct business. People have always told me they were sorta optional. You really only need one if you have a actual store where customers come in. I don't have one and none of the other landscapers in my area have one so I wouldn't worry about it. But maybe in NY you might need one...