Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
View Poll Results: At the end of a pass which way do you turn?
Turn into uncut grass, back up and start next pass 74 64.35%
Turn into cut grass, back up and start next pass 23 20.00%
Neither 18 15.65%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-09-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenstarlawns View Post

BTW, I just in the last 2 minutes of reading this thread I thought about this subject more than I have ever while mowing.
Playing it in your head is a lot harder then actually doing it....

C'mon ppl, even if you don't want to respond to the thread at least VOTE!
Old 07-10-2011, 12:14 AM
LawnSite Member

If you do a perimeter pass first, then both right and left are into uncut grass...
Old 07-10-2011, 01:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am really not understanding ... when I complete a pass, (I always do a perimeter pass first) then I turn back to my next pass.. which is uncut ... why would you turn away? And rarely do I have a need to back up to start a pass.
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuysLC View Post
I am really not understanding ... when I complete a pass, (I always do a perimeter pass first) then I turn back to my next pass.. which is uncut ... why would you turn away? And rarely do I have a need to back up to start a pass.
Do I really need to draw this out?

Say you're coming back along a pass and the uncut side is on your left. Your discharge chute blows to the right. When your turn to the left into the uncut grass, if there's a car, house, mulch bed, etc along the perimeter, you'll load it up with grass clippings. Sometimes it doesn't matter, but other times, you need to keep your chute pointed in toward the field you're cutting.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-10-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Genius .. read the entire topic ... Yeah I think I have been doing this long enough to know which way my chute blows ...I use an advanced mulching chute that I can open at will... I dont have to worry about loading anything up with clippings .. my point was .. anyone who has cut long with a Z turn has figured out the short cuts to cutting. . My method may vary from yours but I have found that one pass around is enough .. then I cut passes back and fourth turing into uncut and with the perimiter pass there is no need to back up.. I dont cut the same method every week and the result is my yards look like baseball fields with the striping going three different directions.
Old 07-10-2011, 05:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Hey Genius .. read the entire topic ... Yeah I think I have been doing this long enough to know which way my chute blows ...I use an advanced mulching chute that I can open at will... I dont have to worry about loading anything up with clippings .. my point was .. anyone who has cut long with a Z turn has figured out the short cuts to cutting. . My method may vary from yours but I have found that one pass around is enough .. then I cut passes back and fourth turing into uncut and with the perimiter pass there is no need to back up.. I dont cut the same method every week and the result is my yards look like baseball fields with the striping going three different directions.
You said you didn't understand, but obviously you do.

Pittsburgh/Western PA Landscapers Networking Thread

For Sale Chevy truck parts
Old 07-11-2011, 11:31 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
....one pass around is enough.... then I cut passes back and fourth turing into uncut and with the perimiter pass there is no need to back up...
From what I see and hear from others, this is how most everyone, including me, cut with Z's. Differences being, I always make 2 perimeter passes and I always do 3 point turns (requires backing up) to reduce tearing the turf.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Almost 400 Views and ONLY 25 VOTES!!!!!!! If you look, just vote.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by milsaps118 View Post
From what I see and hear from others, this is how most everyone, including me, cut with Z's. Differences being, I always make 2 perimeter passes and I always do 3 point turns (requires backing up) to reduce tearing the turf.
I agree. I always use 3 point turns at the end of a pass. I turn in the direction that makes the least mess with discharged clippings.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

was his name lonnie or how ever you spell it?

this year i have mowing the perimiter last. i prefer how it looks after. as far as turning i have a mod deck. if i didnt depending if there were houses cars or what ever i keep my chute to the inside even if i have to back up