Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-11-2011, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Is it too late to say never less than 4" on the SA? Or are we descending to name calling?

Glad to read about the captiva, sorry its not wotking out. My suplier was touting it as a Wunder Grass... glad I stuck to St. Aug. Least I know what to expect
Old 07-11-2011, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jvanvliet View Post
Is it too late to say never less than 4" on the SA? Or are we descending to name calling?

Glad to read about the captiva, sorry its not wotking out. My suplier was touting it as a Wunder Grass... glad I stuck to St. Aug. Least I know what to expect

Don't get me wrong. I like Captiva and have seem some properties where it does great. This is more a case of a homeowner not following BMPs and lacking consistency in their watering application.

As far as Rick is concerned... don't mind him. He's just a bitter old man.

Old 07-11-2011, 03:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Green T.

Captiva was touted to me as a full shade tolerant strain... like Seville. Maybe it doesn't like full sun.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

It loves full sun. But like any semi-dwarf, it has fungal problems with lots of rain and high night time dew points. It's not as spongey as Seville. And it has just suddenly died like another one of the St. Augustines touted as a wonder grass.

I'll post a current pic of mine later this evening.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:05 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Green T.

Captiva was touted to me as a full shade tolerant strain... like Seville. Maybe it doesn't like full sun.
jvan

Don't over look Bitter Blue as a shade tolerant St Augustine. I like it for both shade and sun and the fact it gets it's name from the beautiful Blue Green color it get from just a small amount of Fertilizer. Planted next to Floratam it looks Identical with the same larger blade. Bitter Blue was the first Cultivar of St Augustine and was first use in the 1920's in the Carolina's because it has cold tolerances.

BTW don't listen to Green T's politics. He wasn't even born on USA soil and is trying to bring the economics of his native Iceland to Obamaville.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-11-2011, 05:28 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
And it has just suddenly died like another one of the St. Augustines touted as a wonder grass.
Oops. That should have read "has not just suddenly died I had Palmetto many years ago. Absolutely beautiful until it just suddenly died. The Captiva is alive and well.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:40 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
jvan

Don't over look Bitter Blue as a shade tolerant St Augustine. I like it for both shade and sun and the fact it gets it's name from the beautiful Blue Green color it get from just a small amount of Fertilizer. Planted next to Floratam it looks Identical with the same larger blade. Bitter Blue was the first Cultivar of St Augustine and was first use in the 1920's in the Carolina's because it has cold tolerances.
I've read about Bitter Blue, but have never seen it available in my neck of the woods.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith View Post
Oops. That should have read "has not just suddenly died I had Palmetto many years ago. Absolutely beautiful until it just suddenly died. The Captiva is alive and well.
Got ya... but it's needy in full sun?
Old 07-11-2011, 07:00 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Maybe it doesn't like full sun.

Full sun exposure had nothing to do with it. It does perform well in the shade though.

Old 07-11-2011, 07:04 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
BTW don't listen to Green T's politics. He wasn't even born on USA soil and is trying to bring the economics of his native Iceland to Obamaville.

Two things...

a) I agree, don't listen to me and my views. Also stop bringing up politics here, you're more than welcome to come to the other forum.... or grow up. Your choice.

b) Are you always this confrontational with foreigners?