Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-21-2002, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Member

North Carolinians?

Well boys in our neck of the woods it's getting cold and the grass will soon become slow to grow. The fast paced days will give way to more relaxed ones and the question pops to my mind..............what will I do for income now?

How about you?

07' CHEVY 3500 HD, CC, DRW, D/A
TORO Z500 52"
TORO 44" HYDRO Walkbehind
TORO 22"
ECHO String trimmers & Edger
ECHO 750T B/P Blower
REDMAX B/P Blower
BILLYGOAT 10HP. Wheelblower
JD2305 Compact Tractor w/FEL & Attatchments
...and too many trailers!
Old 10-22-2002, 01:19 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm guessing your customers are not on 12 month contracts?
Old 10-22-2002, 03:41 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I try to use the off season to my advantage as much as possible. But I would be a lot more worried if this were my only source of income and I didn't have any annuals.

I try to do my best to sell all my customers on the winter fertilizing and get them scheduled. I am a firm believer that these feedings are some of the most important and shouldn't be skipped.

Then I try my best to get them to pay me to do all those little chores that needed doing but got neglected during the cutting season. i'll do any little thing just to keep a bit of something to do. I also like the fact that it keeps me in direct contact with my clients in the off season too.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:47 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Reduce labor cost( keeping them on a short string) Good ones are hard to find. Do my year round residential and our commercial properties "solo". Watch football, rest a little and gear up for next March.
In the event I have a long stretch of days with nothing to do(never happens) I make myself available to a friend doing odd jobs in the home repair business. Painting, roofing etc. Helps him and keeps me moving.
But!!!! overall I enjoy the downtime Dec, Jan and Feb. cause I know it's full bore come March till Dec. financial planning helps.
Old 10-22-2002, 06:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm incorporating structural pest control into my business. That way I'm in their homes all year round and can build both businesses from both sides.
Old 10-22-2002, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

well some leaves fell during drought . but around here they really havnt even started. this can be good if your customers accept that regular cleaning is just a way to avoid large leaf cleanup bills. this thing could go until christmas.
mabe mabe not.if the customer fusses remind them of all the missed cuttings during the drought.. heck just one little warm spell and my lawns would be hard to controll. conversely ,one freeze and the grass is dormant. good luck .
Old 10-22-2002, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

After struggling through my first two seasons I finally learned the value of budgeting and saving up for the winter.

This, my 3rd season, will be the first one that I can actually kick back and not worry about the bills, taxes, and insurance. Finally! I will spend this winter learning all I can about the "in and outs" of hiring a good helper and working on ways to make next year even more profitable through 'add on' services. Gonna whittle away at the ol' 'honey-do list' and spend a couple of weeks in the Florida Keys too.

What a year! My gross is up by about 45% over last year and I was able to purchase a new TTHP to boot! And I'm better prepared for the leaf cleanups that start this week...so I'm shooting for 50%.

A 'special thanks' goes out to God....for the steady rainfall that we received this season....and for keeping me healthy. It did not allow for a mid-season break from the action (and I'm tired!) but it sure is gonna make this winter a lot easier to deal with.

Also another 'special thanks' goes out to my fellow members here at Lawnsite. The valuable advice given here taught me that tailoring my customer base, keeping a tight route, buying good equipment, utilizing time-saving methods and tools, and culling non-profitable PITA clients (and avoiding aquiring new ones in that catagory) also made a big difference in my business.

Finally, I can enjoy my winter break...instead of stressing out because of it!
Old 10-22-2002, 09:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have 8 year round contracts, so I take care of those and also work at a large horse farm doing maintence for them. I also sell firewood, which is really good money around here. So,yes I like to stay busy.
Old 10-22-2002, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All but two of my customers are on 12 month contracts, so I just sit back on the beach in Florida or Alabama's beautiful Gulf Coast and chill. Thanking God for the good life He's blessed me with.

Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 10-22-2002, 11:42 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I plan on selling christmas trees