Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-22-2002, 02:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Exmark demo

Well I'll try to get this up again!!! It didn't post the 1st time.

I went this morning and picked up a 52" Lazer Z HP for a demo. While getting familiar with it in the parking lot, I noticed a problem right off. The striaght line tracking was off bad! The left lever had to be pusted a good bit farther forward than the right to stay striaght. I figured it just needed an adjustment and didn't really think much of it.

As I headed out back to my hometown, the threat of it raining on my little parade looked like a threat. So, I stopped at my 1st account on the way back.

The property there is a decient little slope and the terrain is pretty rough overall. I found the Exmark easy and smooth to operate althought I had to compensate a bit for the adjustment it needed. It turned very nicely and I didn't even incur any turf damage with it even though things were still pretty wet from yesterdays rain. I figure it must handle pretty good for a rank beginner to do that well.

I did save a lot of time on the job. But the 52" gave me quite a bit more deck to work with too. I didn't really feel I was able to take much advantage of the extra ground speed without beating myself to death. But the ride was better than I expected from a unit with no give or pivot points.

The cut was clean. But it didn't leave behind any striping effect at all. I'm guessing it probably needed a good deck rake adjustment as well.

The slope handling was good. I never felt even the least bit uncomfortable even when sidehilling. But this account is not nearly as steep as some of the others I service but an OK test nonetheless. The rain set back in again as I was loading back up. So I didn't get a chance to put it to a real test.

My only complaint about the Exmark is the price. The so called good deal I was offered was on a 44" Lazer Z HP w/20 HP Kohler that the guy had left over still in the crate. The price was $5,700 + tax and was only good on that particular unit he had in stock.

Frankly I wasn't very impressed with the deal. I can get several other brand names with more HP and width of cut for the same or less money.

Now for a couple of questions....
Is the 44" like most other small deck models? No trim overhang on the deck. What is with the odd front caster off set? What do you think would be a fair price for say a 48" or 52"?
Old 10-22-2002, 02:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $5995 for the 44" Toro with the 20 hp Kohler. I kept it two weeks and traded in on a 52" Toro Z Master 255 with the 25hp Kohler for $6995. I was much happier with the the larger mower. $5700 is not a bad price, but if you can i would go with at least the 52". There is no overhang on the 44".
04 36" 15hp Metro
05 60" 31 Hp Exmark Lazer XS
07 60" 35 Hp Exmark Lazer XS (Like a International)
07 Ferris IS2000 25 Kaw 61"(Like a Lexus) (sold 10/07)
07 Toro 52" Kubota Diesel (Like a Corvette)
Magna-Matic 9000
Out of Business in 2008 Due to High Cost of Fuel and full time job time requirements.
Old 10-22-2002, 03:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Blessed 1,

That's what I figured on the 44". I certainly don't want to buy and be unhappy. After taking the Exmark back early, I went and looked at a Ferris IS 1000. I'm now very very strongly considering it now. I can pick up a 23HP 52" for $5750 and personally i think it has a lot more nice features for the money. It was so nice I was afraid to ask the price. I'm glad I did now!
Old 10-22-2002, 11:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, as popular as Exmark seems to be, I though I would get a lot mre people with something to say.
Old 10-23-2002, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I paid $7100 for my Lazer HP. I got the 52 inch deck with the 23 hp Kaw. It will be nearly impossible to find a mower with overhang on a 44" ZTR. If they made the frame more narrow then you wouldn't have anywhere to sit. Hope this helps, Bill.