Register free!

View Poll Results: how much per zone for ave home.
400-500 1 4.76%
500-600 8 38.10%
600-700 1 4.76%
700-800 2 9.52%
800-900 9 42.86%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-11-2011, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

How much for install

Hey guys I am sure its been posted before but what is the CURRENT rate per head for installs? I have a 5 zone going I am designing now and was just curious.
Old 07-11-2011, 11:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I charge per psi at the head (multiply by 3.5). I used to charge per foot of pipe but it didn't always work out. Oh well.
Old 07-12-2011, 01:21 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

10,000 per 12 zone pigtail. (A new concept in bidding I'm pushing.)
Old 07-12-2011, 10:56 PM
LawnSite Member

I do agree with you to a point. I do think getting the basic pricing out there does help to lay out what going rates should be. Many new contractor still have no idea how to price a system. I can gaurantee 90% of the landscapers that install irrigation have never sat down to do a complete design, parts list and so on. They just know they got the last 10 jobs for $500 a zone and they think they made money.

In our area, I try to get $600-$650 a zone on average homes and we all know that is just a number and every job varies.

Seriously, if you have not, spend the time to price EVERYTHING!!! in a job, even the gas to get to the job and a follow up service call/warranty call. It will open your eyes for sure.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thank you! Exactly! When i started off in the landscaping almost 17 yrs ago I kept the same rate for 8 years! ( even though I was in College I still needed to go up regardless of the part time attitude I had way back then ).

We are all on this forum to help. You might think your giving away a secret??! If your smart enough to be on this site like I have since its conception! You are already ahead of 90% of your competition!!!!
Old 07-12-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by clyde View Post
You might think your giving away a secret??!
It's not that it's a secret. It just varies from town to town, state to state, region to region, company to company. You will find many threads in here with us telling all the variables about why installation costs vary for different companies. It depends on your overhead, not mine. It depends on what components you put in, not what I put in. It depends on what you pay your employees, not what I pay mine. It depends on the soil conditions, what kind of equipment you use, your methods for installing, what you want to make at the end of the job.

If you missed it, check out this thread that was moved. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=356246 The OP was quoted $2000 for a 9 zone system. Some clown might feel he is making money at that price. I would lose my azz on it. And Mike Leary would be crying all the way to the bank asking for a loan to cover expenses and materials.
Old 07-12-2011, 11:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

2000!!!! 9 zones!!!! ouch! no way I have a reasonably good idea of what things cost. I don't see how you can even consider that...
Old 07-13-2011, 09:24 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I've done jobs that were $7000 a zone.
Too many generalizations to know what you're asking.
Small lot, large lot, millionaire size lot, billionaire size lot, institutional?
Average to me is usually millionaire lot, which doesn't appear in the poll.
Old 07-13-2011, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I would say ur the exception to the poll. Wish i had that problem
Old 07-14-2011, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto

It's a zero sum question. So many variables and methods. Location and standard of living. We aren't in cahoots. I gave up installs because I couldn't get my price for quality systems. Figured if people were buying that garbage service and repairs would be where its at.