Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2012, 02:49 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durabird02 View Post
I am not concerned with resale value and I will be painting all of my equipment with my company colors. I only buy equipment I need, so I will not be selling any of it, run it until it dies!
AGREED!! Re sell of equipment is the least of my concerns. We do not have much large equipment stolen but the little items tend to get taken. I actually had a kid on a bike grab a trimmer right off the back of my one work truck and head into oncoming traffic while myself and one crew member were inside eating pizza fro lunch. Could not believe the nerve of the kid. I am in a beach town so there was no way I was going to get him. Not to mention not everyone is a local kid either. My equipment could be in PA the next day.
I guess I am just to fat and slow.

I would say Spray paint name using stencils with company initials or name on frame. Then maybe spray paint some other parts with company colors. ALWAYS record the serial numbers. this may help you guys but around here like I said it could be int he next state in the morning. at least I have the police around here on my side as three of them have small operations in town so it makes them want to find the crooks faster as they are concerned it could be their equipment next!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:24 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I carve my initials into them somewhere obvious and paint a big old glob of blue paint on them I don't care about resale since the stuff is toast by the time I get rid of it anyway
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-17-2012, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
If your thinking of painting, do it on a part that isn't easily swapped out. Such as a Blower housing or shield on a trimmer. The bad thing is going to resale, some on may not want a green stihl.
not only want a green stihl but it might make it also look like a homelight/never the less people will steel anything-I like leaving an old non running decoy out
Old 06-21-2012, 04:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Replace the standard white recoil rope with one of a neon color that matches your equipment. Examples: Stihl/Tanaka= orange. Redmax/Shindaiwa= red or black
Old 08-05-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

One of the local construction companys has all their equipment from hand tools and trucks to dozers, and excavators painted baby blue. I'll tell you what you always notice them.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle View Post
One of the local construction companys has all their equipment from hand tools and trucks to dozers, and excavators painted baby blue. I'll tell you what you always notice them.
Bright , blatant marks such as this make for a great theft deterrent.
Old 09-18-2012, 12:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Here's what I do. All my trimmers I take the line spool out and engrave my name and phone number in them. I also paint the inside of the head orange! Echo trimmers you don't have to remove the head to restring so no one would think to pull spool out to look in there. Also the little aluminum blacks that u bolt on the trimmer shafts that slip into the rack to keep the trimmer from spinning, I paint the shaft orange underneath where the blacks bolt on. My back pack blowers I paint the under side of the base that the machine sets on a flat black. No one natices its been painted unless u really look. I also take the rubber flex pipe off that comes out of the blower housing and paint the inside orange, no one is gonna take the time to unscrew the clamps on the blower pipes to see that. I also take the blower housing apart and engrave my name and number inside there as well. Just what I do, hope it helps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Also I forgot to mention, all my hedge trimmers chainsaws and pretty much all my handheld tools. I pull the starter rope all the way out and paint the last 3 inches of the rope with a tan or white paint depending on color of rope, that way I can pull the rope out all the way and point it out but its not so noticable that the criminal will notice it if he is trying to start it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-18-2012, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Im going to go through my equipment a little more, great ideas!!! Lately it seems ive been taggin my equipment somewhere with some yellow spray paint i had left over from a project.. I know one LCO around me paints a lot his equipment blue, and numbers them! Looks uniform too lol..Blue gas tanks/cans/ blowers etc, awesome thread!
Old 09-18-2012, 12:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLSLLC View Post
Im going to go through my equipment a little more, great ideas!!! Lately it seems ive been taggin my equipment somewhere with some yellow spray paint i had left over from a project.. I know one LCO around me paints a lot his equipment blue, and numbers them! Looks uniform too lol..Blue gas tanks/cans/ blowers etc, awesome thread!
Yeah if you can do something like Sunbelt rental company, they paint all of their stuff a unique color of green, thats ideal. however personaly i like my Deere's to be Deere green and my Echo"s to be Echo orange, so i find places to difficult to quickly look at and paint or mark them. also if you engrave stuff, engrave more than in just one spot. if the theif finds one and grinds it out he will think ok now its untraceable since he ground off your engraving under the engine cover, but you will be able to I.D. it from the engraving thats on the engine block or someplace else as well as the paint mark hidden inside a part if the machine. also paint mark more than one spot. my theory is engrave or paint one place the theif will find after a few minutes to ease his mind, but i also mark someplace else that he would have to nearly disassemble the whole machine to find. the more markins the better.
*2011 Dodge Ram 3500 Laramie 4X4 6-speed automatic. Cummins 6.7 High Output Turbo Diesel
*John Deere Z425, Z-757
*All Echo Handheld 2-cycle Equipment
*6'5"x14' LandscapingTrailer
*35' Heavy equipment dovetail gooseneck 25k lb. load capacity
*21 Toro Super Recycler (3)
*And the most important thing... looking good at being clueless...