Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I have had great results doing a similar application method. Cutting a 10-12 inch stem and putting it in a cup of straight glyphosate. (A small disposable plastic cup with a lid and straw hole works well.) Just stick the stem through the hole for the straw. Make sure that the cup is marked though. Certainly there is an idiot somewhere that will think, " Damn, I'm thirsty. That is one good lookin cup of something!"
Old 07-13-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamondlandscaping View Post
Can't find a pic online. It has shiny leaves with thorns and when you pull it by the roots it looks like a potato....also, will gly kill it??
Posted via Mobile Device

We call it "potato vine" because the tuber bulb is like a potato. I'd recommend using a brush killer, though gly might work but doubt it. Cut it down to ground level, then let it sprout some tender leaves, then spray it.
Old 07-13-2011, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Member

Sounds like smilax. It's a nasty one...don't think Glyphos will zap it without extended effort (could be wrong though).
Old 07-13-2011, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

smilax...paint with garlon...smoked
Old 07-14-2011, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Garlon or Crossbow for vines. No need to spray, just paint on a basal bark strength dilution.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-14-2011, 05:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In our region that vine is a "Saw Briar". If left unchecked those potato looking nodules will grow and multiply. I've seen places where it looked like a field of sweet potatoes had been dug. Many many pounds. Herbicides will only get the leaves and leave that "Potato" root alive. A method we use is to wick the vine by placing the vine in a coffee can with your gly or crossbow with below amount AI.giving the plant a chance to die a slow death; (Got some relatives that could use one of these). Cover the coffee can with lid and brick to hold it in place. The vine will take the chem into the root and in a month or so everything will die. Works super well on poison ivy also. Who ever said Similax genus is correct. Hope this will help--Roy
Old 07-14-2011, 07:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Keith

Thank you for pointing out the delivery method. I am not sure I will ever use it, but it is interesting. I find Garlon 4 does a great job using the stump cut method on controlling vining plant. My method is to use a new PVC glue can with lid dabber to store and use Garlon 4. I just cut the vine and then open the can to use the lid dabber to paint the stern end. You can purchase the brand new empty cans at most all irrigation supply houses.
I really want to make a point about how easy the Glue Can applicator is. It is the right wrench to fit a lot of different Nuts & Bolts. BTW I add Tracking Dye to my full strength Garlon 4 in my RTU Dabber Can.

BTW when you add Diesel fuel to Garlon 4 as per label instructions, It has about a 4 hour Mixed life. Therefore I only put straight Garlon 4 and Tracking Dye in my Dabber can.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

There's an even nastier vine that I'm dealing with. Skunk vine, it gets in all the hedges and lirope pretty much everything, wraps around branches and takes over. I dig it out by the roots but it just multiplies. Total pain in the ass. Might try the floral water pick and herbicide.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I've come to realize that all weedy vines in Florida are a pita to get rid of and are a huge nuisance. The only easy one to eradicate that I have come across is balsam apple.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-15-2011, 12:58 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Florida Lawns View Post
There's an even nastier vine that I'm dealing with. Skunk vine, it gets in all the hedges and lirope pretty much everything, wraps around branches and takes over. I dig it out by the roots but it just multiplies. Total pain in the ass. Might try the floral water pick and herbicide.
We have tons of that pest here as well. The only thing that kills it is Triclopyr(Garlon). It laughs at RoundUp.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738