Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-12-2011, 02:54 PM
LawnSite Member

did I do the right thing?

So a friend of mine called me about doing hedges for his girlfriend. I told him I would look at it. It seemed like alot of work but I felt I could do it. The hedges consisted of three small bushes about the size of a 55 gal drum. A 12ft tall tree (dont know the proper name), and about 70yrds of 12-14ft tall square shaped bushes (also dont know the proper name). I have done hedges before, but nothing this large. I started on them today, took all my ladders, tools, shindiawa hedgers, and and extension hedge trimmer for my trimmer. Well needless to say I got the three small hedges done, and half of the large square hedge consisting of one side and half way across the top. I then realized I couldnt do any more. I didnt have big enough or the right equipment. (A bucket truck is really what you need.) I called him and told him I couldnt finish the job, and he didnt owe me anything. I feel it is my fault biting off more than I could chew and thats part of business. He was very cool about it and didnt know how I was going to do it in the first part. So did I do the right thing? Thanks, sorry its so long.
Old 07-12-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Yeah i would say you did. We all get a job we can't handle or can't do all of. If you didn't charge him, you ended up saving him money b/c if he hires someone its more he don't havve to pay.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Should have charged accordingly. Rent a small lift for the day if you need to. They are only about $150 and it would have made your life A LOT easier!
Old 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM
LawnSite Member

I agree with Oakleft, I would have rented a small lift for the day as well. But now you know for next time.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

""For the want of a nail the shoe was lost; for the want of a shoe the horse was lost; for the want of a horse the rider was lost; for the want of a rider the battle was lost; for the want of a battle the kingdom was lost--and all for the want of a horseshoe nail."

Never ever turn down the opportunity to gain knowledge. Stop-regroup-seek help!
In this business do not admit defeat and quit.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Only you can know if it was the right choice, and as it seems, you are not sure.

Anyway, no harm done.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I meant by not charging the customer did I do the right thing sorry I should have said that in the first post. I know I couldnt handle the job after I got into it, the part I couldnt trim was on a slope so I had no equip to do that job correctly or effeciently.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-12-2011, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sms8921 View Post
I meant by not charging the customer did I do the right thing sorry I should have said that in the first post. I know I couldnt handle the job after I got into it, the part I couldnt trim was on a slope so I had no equip to do that job correctly or effeciently.
Posted via Mobile Device
It is up to you. If you are ok with it fine. If not, then you should not have said, No charge. Some will post and say that you should have gotten some money for the work you did, and they are not wrong, but that is not what you did, so move on. Maybe there is more work and money to be made at this property down the road. Perhaps if you have the time, you could do as another suggested and rent a lift and finish the job.

Chalk it up to learning, cause the answers are not written in stone.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

should have included some pictures of his girlfriend.
Old 07-12-2011, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Member

How good a friend is it? I prob. woulda said its on the house or asked for some beer. Anytime one of my dad's friends needs a mower fixed i just usually ask for a case of cheap beer or something along those lines.