Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2011, 04:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Homeowner type riding mower recommendations

So, I'm thinking of retiring the 12 year old John Deere. It still runs and cuts pretty well, but doesn't look very good. The original hood is gone and replaced with a sheet metal wonder of my creation. I refused to give $350+ for a new one. It's a PIA to change / sharpen blades and, of course, JD parts are thought of highly by their pricing execs.

I've looked at Cub Cadets but they did not really do it for me.

Getting back to simplicity and basics, what about the old rear engine Snappers? They make a 33" cut with a 17.5 B&S engine (rather have a Honda tho) that looks intriguing on paper. Reviews are all over from love to hate.

Anybody care to chime in with recommendations or suggestions? It's just a typical 1/4 residential lot. The current Deere is a 38" cut with a 13.5 Kawasaki engine...it's plenty.

I want ease of maintenance (for me) and ease of operation (for the boss who usually rides it).
Old 07-13-2011, 09:29 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Bugs,

Why not look into the little 36 inch Hustler Sports? For just a few dollars more than what you would most likely pay for a JD rider, you can get a Z turn that will hold up for many many years on your personal property. Has some of the features that you are looking for in that you can easily lift up the front end without out a jack as it is light, stick on some ramps and change the blades. The belts and pully systems are easy to get to on the hustlers, the oil change is simple as can be on the kawi engines. Just my thoughts....oh yeah you can most likely find one on craigslist pretty cheap if not now about October.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-13-2011, 09:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Here you go Bugs...these are great little machines..this one has low enough hours that you should not need a mower for your own personal property anytime soon.

http://orlando.craigslist.org/for/2471621104.html

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 07-14-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

i will have to agree. i am just a homeowner also. but i bought a toro z master 11 years ago and it still runs great. easy to change the blades on change the oil in the winter and service the whole mower and only have put batteries and one voltage reg. and a belt since i've owned it. i mow an acre with it. in my opinion it was money well spent. it has also cut down on my mowing time also...
Old 07-14-2011, 04:53 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugsNbows View Post
So, I'm thinking of retiring the 12 year old John Deere. It still runs and cuts pretty well, but doesn't look very good. The original hood is gone and replaced with a sheet metal wonder of my creation. I refused to give $350+ for a new one. It's a PIA to change / sharpen blades and, of course, JD parts are thought of highly by their pricing execs.

I've looked at Cub Cadets but they did not really do it for me.

Getting back to simplicity and basics, what about the old rear engine Snappers? They make a 33" cut with a 17.5 B&S engine (rather have a Honda tho) that looks intriguing on paper. Reviews are all over from love to hate.

Anybody care to chime in with recommendations or suggestions? It's just a typical 1/4 residential lot. The current Deere is a 38" cut with a 13.5 Kawasaki engine...it's plenty.

I want ease of maintenance (for me) and ease of operation (for the boss who usually rides it).

If you can wait until Late October to November or even December when all the wannabe losers go belly up, You can get some great bargains. Those guys are looking for Beer money and that is when the un-irrigated lawn mowing has shut down for winter, they will sell their equipment cheap.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:52 AM
LawnSite Member

Good points all...thanks very much. I hadn't thought much about ZT types because my place is so small. Guess I'll just have a look-see around. I'm really in no major hurry...just starting my "research". Kudos to all you pros.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

I will prolly get bashed for this but, I looked at the residental lines of Yazoo/keys, JD, Hustler and toro. A few others but, those were the big names I looked at. I bought a Cub Cadet Enforcer 44. I have no complains. It cuts grass awesome runs great. Have had no problems. It had alot more for features the money. Just offered more for my money. Some of them use the same wheel motors and engines. What the cub had the others didnt was the larger rsidential ZT2800 charged Hydro gear wheel motors. The Commercial kohler engine. Suspension seat etc.......
Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy G. View Post
I will prolly get bashed for this but, I looked at the residental lines of Yazoo/keys, JD, Hustler and toro. A few others but, those were the big names I looked at. I bought a Cub Cadet Enforcer 44. I have no complains. It cuts grass awesome runs great. Have had no problems. It had alot more for features the money. Just offered more for my money. Some of them use the same wheel motors and engines. What the cub had the others didnt was the larger rsidential ZT2800 charged Hydro gear wheel motors. The Commercial kohler engine. Suspension seat etc.......
I did not know that the Enforcer had the Suspension seat... Was that an option?
Old 07-16-2011, 05:54 AM
LawnSite Member

As far as I know they all came with them. It was in there commercial line of mowers but, I wouldnt call it that. I would consider it a heavy duty homeowner model. I am pretty sure you have to have a large size wheel motor. I think they have to be at last the hydro gear ZT 3100's to be considered commercial.