Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-13-2011, 07:47 PM
LawnSite Member

How do you track your schedule?

Im a small operation, 7 at the beginning of the year, 19 now, and Ive been able to get buy with simply writing clients names on a calendar when they need to be done.

Now that Im getting more clients though, I have had my first slip up and missed a cut. I need a new system.

How do you know who needs to be mowed when? I figure there has to be a program to keep track of it all. Thanks!
Old 07-13-2011, 08:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshman108 View Post
Im a small operation, 7 at the beginning of the year, 19 now, and Ive been able to get buy with simply writing clients names on a calendar when they need to be done.

Now that Im getting more clients though, I have had my first slip up and missed a cut. I need a new system.

How do you know who needs to be mowed when? I figure there has to be a program to keep track of it all. Thanks!
scheduling programs vary by writers..i will say this...we have tried a few and still preffer to do it the old fashioned way...we use day planner books that will fit more hand written names than we can even do in a day on each page...we have 3 crews and well over 300 accts...each crew leader is responsible for scheduling their accts...however our office can track them daily using a good gps system that tells us exact addresses each crew stopped at, what time they were there, and for how long...we also have each crew turn in a sheet at end of each day that should match the gps.....the big problem with scheduling programs is they dont know when it rains, or you get behind, unless you tell it so...there are programs that allow you to barcode all your accts. then you carry a penlike scanner to scan after each visit...problem is it has a hard time with rain delays and what not.... fors cheduling it is extremely important to keep it simple to be able to adjust at a moments notice.....just write it in your book at each visit...today we do xyz customer...they are to be done weekly so i would turn to the page a week ahead and just write them in....after we do the job we cross out the name and forward it again another week.....sorry so long a post...hope this helps some.

Last edited by MR-G; 07-13-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 12:12 AM
LawnSite Member

I keep track of everything on Google Docs, the Excel looking files.
Old 07-14-2011, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Member

An Excel spreadsheet will serve you well for quite some growth. It also allows you to be flexible and change the schedule as the need arises.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:35 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I have it all memorized. Yes i have an excel or other sheet somewhere in a folder or on my desktop but when you have a a lawn crew and you cut everything weekly it gets engraved in your brain! I know which subs we do on each day. Its a route and should be done on the same week day every week! Its not good to cut the lawn on a saturday then come back on a wedsday... makes no sense!
Keep it consistent! At this time in the season everyone wants you to skip so it gets a little confusing. But with me on the crew i can remember who called me usually when i pull up to the area.

Same when we plow! I print out an excel sheet then the guys catch on about how its alot easier to memorize the houses then to search for an addresses! After that its just like a habit!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow, cuttintothemax, I bow at your feet. My memory sucks like crazy
Which puts me at a little deficit for being a business owner... but i seem to manage.

Would it be possible for anyone to hook me up with an excel spreadsheet for this just so I could see how to lay it out? I use excel for tracking my income/expenses, but Im not sure what it would be designed for tracking clients.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:08 AM
LawnSite Member

I just started with a basic list in Excel for each mowing day, and over time have added things to it I find useful.. owners name, contact info, a start/finish time spot, and room for notes at the bottom.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use a date book like they sale at Wal-mart. Works great. 52 customers this year.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use Gopher lawn software.

Has automatic schedule tracking and invoicing.

You can try it for free for 30 days with no card required.

We have about 500 properties equating to about 1200 cuts per month and the automatic scheduling does all of the work.

You basically set up a customer with their information, go to the calendar, tell it how often and or what day it should be serviced on a regular basis and it schedules it.

When you come back from mowing that day, you tell the system to complete the job (or postpone it if needed). Once you complete the job it removes it and you can generate invoices for all completed jobs.

The job already shows up for its next service, at which time, you can print out your route list and off you go.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is a VERRRYYYY BASICCC Schedule i whipped together in 5 min. My guys usually have this for the first week or so. Then they're good. Only difference is i usually keep the grid lines on it. When i converted it to a PDF i lost them!

My plowing schedules are almost the same way... Streets. notes and numbers!
But my guys are pretty good about memorizing where everything and whats mine and whats not.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Sample Mowing Schedule.pdf (24.0 KB, 174 views)