Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2011, 05:50 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdirrigation View Post
How do you figure more overhead ? and Labor? Pvc less friction loss , higher pressure rating , less steps to make a connection on pvc , 1 man can easily plow in pvc . 2000 ft of pvc fits nicely on top of the van , 7 rolls of poly doesnt . poly is lousy for a mainline . Minimal waste with pvc . The problem I have been having with poly systems for the last 8 years are pin hole leakes in the pipe I am back to these customers homes 5 to 6 times a year repairing leakes in the pipe .

my father in law has a sprinkler system in new haven ct , its pvc . Not a problem
but 7 rolls of polly fits nicely in the back of a pichup, pvc does not.Ive had customer I put in 12 yrs ago that I have yet to fix a pinhole. Cept if they put up a tent for an outdoor party and a stake is driven thru it.
Takes an experianced guy about 1 minute to plumb a head on poly.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcg View Post
Don't bother trying ot compete on installs here, there are too many illegal guys (not licensed) installing systems that don't meet the current laws or have even coverage for next to nothing. You'll be a lot better off if you just focus on repairs and retrofits to fix the $200 - $300 a zone systems those guys are installing. People are willing to pay to make it right once they see how bad it is for themselves but it's next to impossible to convince them that they need to pay more for a good install.
That's where the money is... I sub out installations and after their warranty expires I maintain them, that's the deal. Maintenance = monthly revenue; installations = 1 time pay-out & headaches and callbacks in my neck of the woods.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
but 7 rolls of polly fits nicely in the back of a pichup, pvc does not.Ive had customer I put in 12 yrs ago that I have yet to fix a pinhole. Cept if they put up a tent for an outdoor party and a stake is driven thru it.
Takes an experianced guy about 1 minute to plumb a head on poly.

Thats about the same amount of time for pvc .

I dont know whats causing the pin holes , the systems range from 5 years old to 25 years old , well and city water , all types of soils . I havent cut enough of a piece out to see the manufacturer ,if I could still read it. I still get paid to repair it no matter what
Old 07-19-2011, 10:30 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:

I dont know whats causing the pin holes , the systems range from 5 years old to 25 years old , well and city water , all types of soils . I havent cut enough of a piece out to see the manufacturer ,if I could still read it. I still get paid to repair it no matter what
Just out of curiosity have you ever installed poly? I am not trying to argue with you, you seem to have your PVC pulling down to a science. I just wonder if you are just saying you don't like it because it happens to be the material some of your competitors use who you think do less than quality work. I have never done an entire system with PVC but I have used PVC for larger mainlines and like AI said if I had to use PVC and a trencher on every job I would be doing something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 06:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Most likly the moron that took the tape off the rolls was clueless and sliced the pipe when doing so.
Old 07-20-2011, 06:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AI Inc View Post
Most likly the moron that took the tape off the rolls was clueless and sliced the pipe when doing so.
Or option b, the moron holding the roll of pipe stood in the driveway and let the roll slide along the asphalt because he was too lazy to hold it up and too dumb to stand on the grass.
Old 07-20-2011, 07:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

could just be a poor brand of pipe, sold in an area where the consumers just didn't know better
Old 07-20-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmonster304 View Post
Just out of curiosity have you ever installed poly? I am not trying to argue with you, you seem to have your PVC pulling down to a science. I just wonder if you are just saying you don't like it because it happens to be the material some of your competitors use who you think do less than quality work. I have never done an entire system with PVC but I have used PVC for larger mainlines and like AI said if I had to use PVC and a trencher on every job I would be doing something else.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have used poly , started with it . I dont like it because its akward to work with , wont hold up to the pressure I have in some areas. And since you always have to use some pvc on a system , it made no sense to have both on the truck , I keep minimal poly fittings less than a 20 on either service truck. I use the pvc adaptors fix and go.

Earlier this year I added a zone and the guy wanted poly , a 2 hour job , by myself , un rolling poly and running the plow was a pain and reminded me why I hate poly . When I do an install , I am running pvc alone , and the guys are setting heads .

I have 2 competitors that use poly on mains , no master valve , we have areas with 85 psi plus it doesnt hold up , clamps leak or pipe splits.

If I had to use a trencher I wouldnt be doing this either . I may trench 30 feet a season , havent used the trencher on the burkeen this year at all.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

MD would do my system if i lived in the land of pollyana.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-20-2011, 11:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I have 2 competitors that use poly on mains , no master valve , we have areas with 85 psi plus it doesnt hold up , clamps leak or pipe splits.
Then your either using the wrong poly, or doing it wrong. We have pressures that exceed 100 psi here, and poly mains are what most guys are using on residential now. Pressurized mains should be double clamped. Some guys triple clamp the mains, but not me. I don't see problems on poly mains any more than I see problems on PVC mains.