Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-16-2011, 01:06 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Gator blades comments and review

I cut several properties every other week or, 2 times monthly with no bagging. (Repo Homes)The blades I always have used on my Gravely Z 252 were standard high lift blades. I recently installed Gator high lift blade's by Stens. I am not sure how many brands are out there.

With the wet spring we had this year I just wanted to try them. My regular blades while always sharp just seemed to struggle through the tick grass. The decked clogged with build up and I would have to turn the PTO off and then on to clean the deck out some. This being done very often.

I installed the new blades last night to do an initial cut on a new property. This being a small lot in a close neighborhood I decided to bag. The blades were amazing and had much more lift. The grass packed in to my accelerator very tight. I had a dust cloud around me due to the blades lifting and creating much wind.

This evening I did 2 properties that are 2 times monthly (repos). These 2 I never bag but, in the past I would have to go over some of them 2 times due to poor cuts and leaving strips in thick area's. I also had a lot of thick grass clippings with the other blades. Tonight when cutting the clippings were much more cut up, expelled from the shoot much further and spread out more. I also noticed a much better cut over all and no more going over it again saving time and money.

This was my first experience with this type of blade. Tomorrow I will be doing jobs I do weekly and several more that are every other week. I expect the same good results. I am very happy with this type of blade. My only regret so far is having not getting a set of these several years ago. I also bought another set of regular blades when I bought these gator blades. Unless something changes I can't ever see me going back to regular high lift blades.

I welcome comments good and bad on this style blades and any tips to go along with.
Old 07-16-2011, 02:27 AM
LawnSite Member

On my grasshopper 321D I find the gator blades seem to not use quite as much HP as the standard OEM high lift blades. They also seem to not clump as much in wet grass. Still clumps but not as much. However on grass that has been cut I find it is more likely to leave a stripe of uncut grass while turning with the gators. Gators also seems to not leave as nice of a finish cut on my machine.

I like the gators for the first week or two of the season in the heavy wet grass and in the leaves in the fall. The rest of the year I prefer the OEM high-lift to the gators to minimize stripes of uncut grass and leave a nicer finish cut.

Your results may vary.
Old 07-16-2011, 04:39 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I've always switched back and forth between normal Gators and a standard notched foil high lift depending on the season. Until this year. I tried the Gator G6 blades and was blown away. They are 3" wide and a full 1/4" thick. I just cannot run into any grass, wet or dry, that causes my mower problems with clumps and stuff like that. I don't know what they've done to the design of these blades but I'm sold forever.

Old 07-16-2011, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wanted to see what all the hype was about. So, I bought a set of gators a few months ago.

I've run them once on my ZTR. Vs. reg., high-lifts...I'll take the high-lifts every time.

I'll use these in the leaves this fall. Otherwise, they'll sit on a shelf.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
I wanted to see what all the hype was about. So, I bought a set of gators a few months ago.

I've run them once on my ZTR. Vs. reg., high-lifts...I'll take the high-lifts every time.

I'll use these in the leaves this fall. Otherwise, they'll sit on a shelf.
Try the Gator G6. It's a whole different beast.

Old 07-16-2011, 01:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
I haven't had the chance to try a set but it looks like it would be a heck of a good blade. Looks just like the High Lift PZ blade with gators cut into the sail.

Here's a link

http://www.oregonchain.com/pro/products/oep/G6.htm

Q
Old 07-16-2011, 01:47 PM
LawnSite Member

I run Gator Blades on all my machines, John Deere 997's, John Deere Quick Trax's, Toro Grandstands.... They've worked out great, they last well and hold the edge real nice.... All around pretty impressed!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
I've always switched back and forth between normal Gators and a standard notched foil high lift depending on the season. Until this year. I tried the Gator G6 blades and was blown away. They are 3" wide and a full 1/4" thick. I just cannot run into any grass, wet or dry, that causes my mower problems with clumps and stuff like that. I don't know what they've done to the design of these blades but I'm sold forever.
Richard, where did you get the G6 blades and how much. When I bought this used Snapper 36" it had gators and was disappointed with their cutting performance,so I bought hi lifts at Ferris dealer and have been more than happy with the cutting performance but need a blade to shred leaves for fall clean-up.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:29 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:

I will know by the end of next weekjust ordered three.
Old 01-09-2014, 01:39 AM
LawnSite Member

I'd been reading about these blades for a while, also. My mower does not have a bagging function [hate to bag anyway], so I was looking for a way to improve the quality of cut, reduce clumping... The Holy Grail of blades.
I was needing a new set of blades, figured why not try. I got a set of G3 Gators. They were less $ than stock.
I've got a 850mm wide [34"], three blade fabricated deck, no baffles [wide open], rear discharge. The blades are short 11 31/32". The Gator blades are a 1/2" wider [2.5" vs 2"] than stock blades, this is [I think] one of the most beneficial aspects of this blade as just the width generates lift with the front beveled edge and they are thicker. They were in balance from the factory. This equates to the same difference of going from 2.5 stock high lifts to G5 or G6.
It was raining the day I picked them up, so I thought that I'd chuck them on and see what a worst case cut was like.
On regularly cut grass [short] there was no clumping, no streaks, no windrows. Then I went over to the front section of a rental house [doesn't get cut very often], and cut a 20'wide X 80'long that was about 6" tall. I left the deck at the normal 2.5" height.
The grass was wet, and tall, and I wanted to see what these blades would do. I was not happy with just one pass, so raised the deck 1/2" and went over the few windrows [two extra passes, not a complete double cut]. Cut was good, under the deck was as messy as I've seen it, an inch thick stuck to the underside of the deck.
I've heard that the design of the deck has a lot to do with the performance of these blades, and I've got a feeling that that is a very big influence on the way these work. I've yet to use them on normal dry cutting. If they cut as well as wet grass, and maybe a little less sticking of grass under the deck, these will be an improvement over stock mid/high lifts. They should last longer than the stock blades, they cost less, perform as good or better.
I'd been looking for information on these before I bought some, so thought that I'd contribute my experience.