Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM
LawnSite Member

there aren't many plants at all. I will snap some pictures when I am on that side of town this week.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:36 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In re-reading this thread, I noticed that you earlier mentioned that no chemical treatments had been applied THIS SEASON. Were there chemical treatments last year and, if so, what was applied?
Old 08-08-2011, 12:59 PM
LawnSite Member

I do not know what was previously applied. Here are some pictures. One of which is the filter which is missing some of its 'brushes' as the HO explained. They said the company that took the brushes out has thrown them away. So, if you recognize the filter set up, I need some advice on what exactly is missing and where to find a new one. There are 14 fish in the pond currently.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

It is amazing how much a couple of photos will aid in solving a problem.

I am guessing that this pond is 5+ years old and when it was installed this was the most likely location because it seemed more protected and provided that woodsiness that made it appear more natural. I have a customer with a pond installed in a similar location and like your friend has noticed something 'not quite right'.

With the passage of time, the surrounding trees have grown and, like my customer's pond, have almost completely shaded the entire pond.

This is the likely source of his problem. Without sunlight, photosynthesis can not take place. Most aquatic plants require full sunlight to survive, mush less thrive.
Your friend will need to do some selective pruning to allow the pond to receive more sunlight. Even the fish require a certain amount of sunlight.

The skimmer appears to be an Aquascape Mini-skim. Replacement brushes and support rod are available. Is the indicated object in the attached photo the ball for a float valve? Whatever it is, it will need to be removed to make space for the brushes.

I hope this sheds some light (pun intended) on your friend's pond problem.
Attached Images

Old 08-08-2011, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

that is the pump which is turned on its side. Not sure why. I just talked to the HO again, he said that a company took a rod with 6 large "bottle brushes" and did not return it. I assume that is the rod you are talking about in your doctored picture.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yep. Same rod. Pump would require repositioning.
Old 08-08-2011, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Member

thanks tadpole. I appreciate your feedback very much. So, would you advise me to just tell the HO that we need to prune and then just see what happens? Or are there any other tasks (other than getting new brushes and repositioning the pump) you would recommend we complete to help nurture this pond back to health?
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSUhardscaper View Post
thanks tadpole. I appreciate your feedback very much. So, would you advise me to just tell the HO that we need to prune and then just see what happens? Or are there any other tasks (other than getting new brushes and repositioning the pump) you would recommend we complete to help nurture this pond back to health?
Unless there is something else that you are unaware of, replacing the brushes in the skimmer and getting more sunlight to the pond should be all.

If the trees are on the HO's property, they may want to consider removing one or two of the less important ones. That may also be the least expensive option. A lot depends on how the pond is oriented directionally. Morning sun is ideal, followed by afternoon sun as a second choice and, as a last resort, midday sun. The pond will react quite quickly on its own to the additional solar energy and rapidly recover its 'life'. He may initially experience a 'greening' of the water as the microbial life will be the first to react to the change. This will correct itself, over time, without the use of algaecides, as the rest of the pond completes the transition.