Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2011, 04:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't get your legal advice from the internet....you get what you pay for.
Old 07-19-2011, 05:40 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Better make sure you're zoned for running a biz from your house. Towns usually look the other way with small businesses...........until someone complains.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-19-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown & Co. View Post
And I prolly wouldnt say anything in return just flating out whoop your ass right there on the spot. We'd police it because its the right thing todo! Your obviously uneducated or knowledgable so please get the **** off my thread. I said "knowledgable individuals"! Under age and under 5k a quarter you don't need ****! Plus its a kid...you would **** with a kid... You either read the previous posts and didn't follow it or just jumped straight in. I won't be responding to your post any longer after this either. You've shown everyone in here they type of person your cut out to be :/ field of mowing grass...it's called "Agriculture"! You struck me as they same type of person to say mowing isn't rocket science...and it's not but running a company with 60+ biweekly clients (quality and quantity) for 12 years IS! And as much as I know and went to school for, got a degree in, and all the snazzy certifications Im still learning...here's a good learn for yourself...it's a book...although it maybe alittle tough for you..."winning friends & influencing people".
Posted via Mobile Device
First, after 15 years of boxing, I doubt you'd be capable of "whoopin my ass on spot"!! Second, I do only have an associates degree but it's just in industrial electronics. So I guess I am uneducated to todays standards. Third, Call it agriculture or whatever...... even worthless Mexicans thrive at the job we do!!!!! If you can start up a mower, you can get it done!!!

Why make waves in your neighborhood over what the guy next door does!! So he can install a f'n sprinkler system!!!! Do you really think you are the only one that can/should???? My neighbors suck, but damn..... If one of them tried to sue me cause we were in the same field, he'd instantly be considered the ****** bag of the neighborhood by all!!!

Get a life man, let this die and save yourself the humiliation.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
So I have my Irrigation & Applicators License as well as my DBA which is all that is required for my region par Texas Department of Agriculture. I have a 2 mil umbrella insurance policy. I also do my own work with an occasional helper (legal day laborer).

My situation is...

I've been in business for about 12 yrs not including my peers. I've done what i needed to legally. I run the business out of my personal garage (Last 12 yrs. as I've been doing this all throughout my schooling. Recently we've gotten new neighbors beside us. One is an Irrigator, the other is a handy man that does anything from irrigation and plumbing to landscaping installs and maintenance. I'm almost certain the latter of the two doesn't have a license. Not that I'm losing much or any profits... Its the idea of the matter moving next door to me...We both have our trailers out to be seen. You hear about these bigger corporate companies suing others in the same industry for copying what they are doing. I feel that this is the same situation only on a much smaller scale...Legally its the same thing no matter what the size of the issue is.

My question is

Can I sue them for potential lost profits if they are found to be running illegally/not in compliance with the local and state laws?

Is this a new age way of getting rid of illegal companies (Lowballers) in my/your area? Every job they land is potential profits taken from your portfolio. If they weren't around that's one more chance to land that lead. Just one wont be a change but repeatedly throughout the year can add up to 100's of extra leads for the year equaling thousands in profit. I'm not a dick, and don't mind legal competition at all (pay your dues)...but next door is too much of a slap in the face IMO.
so your the one tying up the courts with FRIVOLOUS lawsuits. you may not be a dick (your words) but if you sue for this you're a jackass
Old 07-19-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
I should have added a my feelings/thought page so I don't get called particular names

My feelings: I have no problem with either of them as a family moving in. Yes they have just as much a right to be there. That's common sense. What they don't have is a legal right to be inbusiness without a license. I'm not the type to sue...never have. I feel that whoever polices the industry should have a much bigger appearance than they do. Maybe they do in other areas where agriculture influences are greater but it is an issue I'd like to see a change in. As far as the shoe being on the other foot. I could careless if they want to make an issue and try to sue me for something. That's why it's taken me as long as it has to grow my company. I do have lawyers and ironclade protection. I didn't ask him becaus like i said before I'm not the type to sue but I will ask to see a license and/or send their information to whom it concerns if they are found to be illegal. As far as using them for help as a network that's always a possibility once I know they have all legal issues cover. I'm not out their for quick buck. I'm running a legal company. With structure and a plan (business and personal plans). Thanks everyone for your input this is a matter I was alittle curious to hear others input on. Yes if they were lawyer as I in this hypothetical situation then yes it would be the same scenario as the one I've ask your input on "Sammy". This has nothing to do with them as a family. It's not a civil matter that I proposed but a business/corporate matter. If they used thier home as thier business address then I ask is there a law or regulation in place that stops/henders a company of the same kind opening up so close to another? These are lagit business questions. And I would take a guess that thier books would be legally ceased. And those clients that were found to be in a comptetive service area would be pooled together as a class action lawsuit and dispersed to ALL thee companies with thier address showing that they are there in that region. I'll leave with this statement..."It's just business ...nothing personal".
Posted via Mobile Device
Since when is it a law that a similar business cannot open up next door to another? I see BK and McDonalds next to each other all the time. Banks are in the same plazas...and so on. Who says you can't open the exact business next door to another one..

One more thing...is it even legal for you to be running a business out of your home. Around us it isn't unless you are in a multi zoned property commercial and residential.

I would look into this more..if you are so much better than the other companies than what are you so worried about?
Old 07-19-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zturncutter View Post
If I were you I would consider the possibilities of networking with these guys, they may get jobs that they can't handle or don't want for some other reason or they might be able to help you out with labor or some skill they have that you do not. The only people that usually get ahead by going on the attack are the lawyers.
Solid advice right there! Scratch my back,I'll scratch yours.
Filling up the court rooms will stupid frivolous lawsuits isn't the answer but you have some jerks who think that's the American way of solving matters
Old 07-19-2011, 11:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlane View Post
Do you stop them on the street ? Go onto private property to confront them? They could have a harassment case against you.
yup....we break all the rules to hunt them down....only an idiot would even post such crap ....we politely contact them and ask them for their credentials....the ones that dont produce them get reported....no harrasing ever....every business is required BY LAW to post their licenses so the public can view.....get real
Old 07-20-2011, 12:15 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
I'd tell you to suck it........ Why do you think you need to take it upon yourself to police your local industry. You sound like a real dick hole.

This is the problem with the country today.... No one can take out the competition by doing a better job or out working them. They have to ***** and complain and try to sue them.

My neighbor pays the kid across the street to mow his grass. He knows that I have a legit business in the field of mowing grass, I guess I could sue them both. I mean, the kid doesn't have a business license and the neighbor knows this. Hell, I'll sell off my equipment and keep my business license and just sue the piss out of the competition!!! That way all I gotta do is sit and watch "everybody loves raymond" reruns all day.

In short without the sarcasm: If you're to f'ing stupid to be deal with the competition, then hang up your f'ing boots. Don't be a little b*tch about it.
and you would be a 15.00 per cut bottom feeder....we dont care if some kid wants to make a few bucks over the summer...but when you portray yourself as a legit business ..well..you damn well better be one...its guys like you that give our industry a bad image....we have been very successful in our 25 yrs in this business and no help from the bottom feeders for sure...all they do is ruin the business...go back to mowing grandmas lawn and get out of the way of the people playing by the rules...when you grow up you will realize what im saying....good luck to you LAWN BOY.....LOL MAYBE YOU JUST HAVENT HAD TO COMPETE WITH THE TYPE OF CRAP IM TALKING ABOUT...IF YOU DID, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND...

Last edited by MR-G; 07-20-2011 at 12:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2011, 04:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
and you would be a 15.00 per cut bottom feeder....we dont care if some kid wants to make a few bucks over the summer...but when you portray yourself as a legit business ..well..you damn well better be one...its guys like you that give our industry a bad image....we have been very successful in our 25 yrs in this business and no help from the bottom feeders for sure...all they do is ruin the business...go back to mowing grandmas lawn and get out of the way of the people playing by the rules...when you grow up you will realize what im saying....good luck to you LAWN BOY.....LOL MAYBE YOU JUST HAVENT HAD TO COMPETE WITH THE TYPE OF CRAP IM TALKING ABOUT...IF YOU DID, YOU WOULD UNDERSTAND...
I hope you are successful!! Cause you sound like a real class act!! You sound like a straight up snitch!! Sure, everyone should play by the rules, but I ain't gonna waste my effort tattle tailing!! If I lose an account because Jim bob and his push mower lowballed me..... Well that is my fault for taking on a customer that is looking for the cheapest price. It'd only be a matter of time before they dropped me anyhow without a contract......

You give the industry a bad image for looking like a b*tch!!!

Going out of your way to police the competition and suing your neighbors cause they are in the same line of work is just ******ed!!! The law may be on your side, but you still end up looking like a b*tch!!!

I also like how I am a $15 bottom feeder just because I called you out as being a b*tch!!! Stay Classy!!
Old 07-20-2011, 08:33 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc3xx0 View Post
I hope you are successful!! Cause you sound like a real class act!! You sound like a straight up snitch!! Sure, everyone should play by the rules, but I ain't gonna waste my effort tattle tailing!! If I lose an account because Jim bob and his push mower lowballed me..... Well that is my fault for taking on a customer that is looking for the cheapest price. It'd only be a matter of time before they dropped me anyhow without a contract......

You give the industry a bad image for looking like a b*tch!!!

Going out of your way to police the competition and suing your neighbors cause they are in the same line of work is just ******ed!!! The law may be on your side, but you still end up looking like a b*tch!!!

I also like how I am a $15 bottom feeder just because I called you out as being a b*tch!!! Stay Classy!!
It isnt some kid with a push mower we watch for...there are large co. here operating lawn and spray services without licenses and insurances...and the pricing can be quite low and unfair for us playing by the rules...if you could comprehend what you read you would also know it wasnt me suing my neighbors...im happy for you that you dont have the scale of problem we do...hopefully you never will...unlicensed co's is a big problem in our area...for us and our clients.

Last edited by MR-G; 07-20-2011 at 08:41 AM.

Tags
illegal , leads , license , lowballer , theft