Register free!

Old 01-24-2010, 05:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Lazyman Liquid Gold

Hey guys and gals, have any of you used the organic aeration and dethatch stuff? I'm mostly referring to Lazyman Liquid Gold but I know there are other brands out there. I've been reluctant in pushing aeration, mostly because the few times I either overseeded, dethatched, or aerated, I had to rent the equipment and that turned out to be a joke. I've certainly not had enough response or requests for any of the applications to warrant buying the equipment but I'm really interested in giving a heavy push if any of you have tried the Lazyman type aerator and found that it works.. Would appreciate any input. Thanks
Old 01-24-2010, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh boy....be gentle everyone!
Old 01-24-2010, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrganicsMaine View Post
Oh boy....be gentle everyone!
Like all these other "wonder" products ..... wild claims without substantiation. Their "research" is a joke.. No one with half a brain would ever consider that "research" proof of product performance. But heh, at least they made the attempt to make "research" available, unlike some companies.
Old 01-25-2010, 06:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heavily thatched lawns do well with sugar/molasses IMO. It makes sense that speeding up the digestion of dead plant material is going to reduce thatch, and from my observation the surface is more porous, but , that is the extent of my research.

It claims to have CT in it, so the question remains. Does CT do the digestion thing, as well as, sugar/molasses?
Old 01-26-2010, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

there is no substitute for aeration
buy one
there is no quick fix
Old 07-21-2011, 11:13 AM
LawnSite Member

I see this stuff like yogurt is to the human body. The Liquid Soil Doctor I use has over 40 good types of bacteria that are beneficial to our lawns. Just like there are many beneficial bacteria types that are good for our digestive systems.

Laying down food FOR the bacteria like syrup I personally don't think will help. Actually laying down the bacteria, like yogurt does for our digestive systems, is much more beneficial for our lawns.

They alsso decided to add fertilizer and other stuff to it but basically, the Lazyman Soil Doctor and the other products like it are the yogurt for our lawns.

It''s not gonna be like hitting your lawn with a liquid shot of Nitrogen and watching it get noticeably greener in two days. If you are looking for a short term gain with any of these products, it won't happen. Only the old, mechanical stand-bys like dethatchers will give you the immediate satisfaction you desire.

IF......these products truly contain this living organisms I truly believe it is beneficial for our lawns in the long run.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Applying biologically active liquids with a food source are helpful in breaking down thatch and promoting both soil and plant health. Mechanical aeration with the addition of organic matter works better to relieve compaction. I would not recommend a liquid application alone for soil compaction.

The nation that destroys its soil destroys itself.
Franklin D. Roosevelt
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

The yogurt analysis is a good one... My concern is that these new microbes are not going to survive very long because the environment they live in is not being provided by the lawncare person...

I like to wash down my yogurt with a six pack of beer... that's healthy, right...
Old 07-26-2011, 07:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a small RTU bottle and used it once this year, as a "summer" fert after applying a fungicide. It certainly did not hurt the lawn, at the same time one application isn't going to do much. It has some liquid fert in it also so at a minimum it helps with that. I wouldn't even pretend that the dethatching and aerating chemicals can do what mechanical systems could, but for a situation of minimal thatch it may help.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiTownAmateur View Post
I bought a small RTU bottle and used it once this year, as a "summer" fert after applying a fungicide. It certainly did not hurt the lawn, at the same time one application isn't going to do much. It has some liquid fert in it also so at a minimum it helps with that. I wouldn't even pretend that the dethatching and aerating chemicals can do what mechanical systems could, but for a situation of minimal thatch it may help.
The Point is not 'chemical', but 'living organisms', doing what normally is done in healthy soils... real thatch is created by too much fert, too early in the season promoting lots of surface growth and an endless cycle of dieback and new surface growth with no opportunity for natural processes to break down the dead stuff before the hydrophobic layer is formed...

Dish soap can help break surface tension and move water through soil more easily, but I don't believe it physically helps the structure enough to actually relieve compaction...

I agree with Phasthound in that the combination of strategies isn't a bad idea...