Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 06-16-2013, 10:02 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

At what point do you add another guy?

So I'm running a crew of 2 out mowing while I do lawn applications, book work, and help,them out. We try to get mowing done in 4 days and leave an extra day for rain/pruning/mulch/etc. one is hopefulky year round and the other is seasonal. They are consistently working close to 34-36 hours by Thursday. Which leaves overtime hours mostly for the side jobs.

At what point would you consider adding another summertime or part time guy? Would you just increase the hourly labor rate for work to cover the expected overtime?

I like to give people a price for a job. Not "we expect to work 4-6 mon hours at $30/hr "
Old 06-16-2013, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
So I'm running a crew of 2 out mowing while I do lawn applications, book work, and help,them out. We try to get mowing done in 4 days and leave an extra day for rain/pruning/mulch/etc. one is hopefulky year round and the other is seasonal. They are consistently working close to 34-36 hours by Thursday. Which leaves overtime hours mostly for the side jobs.

At what point would you consider adding another summertime or part time guy? Would you just increase the hourly labor rate for work to cover the expected overtime?

I like to give people a price for a job. Not "we expect to work 4-6 mon hours at $30/hr "
35 hours by Thursday means they have 35 hours done at the end of Thursday?

You leave out how many hours over time you pay. So I assume you do not.

To me you have no need to hire another employee based on the information you have supplied.

Now if you your guys were getting 40 hours each, every week and then they were doing enough overtime every week. Say 16 to 20 hours total you then would have enough work to add a part time employee for 16 to 20 hours a week.

There is no needed to change hourly rate because you add employee's.

You charge $60 an hour a job takes 1 man 3 hours, $180.

Two men take 1.5 hours, bill is still $180.

Three men 1 hour, bill is still $180
Old 06-16-2013, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32vld View Post
35 hours by Thursday means they have 35 hours done at the end of Thursday?

You leave out how many hours over time you pay. So I assume you do not.

To me you have no need to hire another employee based on the information you have supplied.

Now if you your guys were getting 40 hours each, every week and then they were doing enough overtime every week. Say 16 to 20 hours total you then would have enough work to add a part time employee for 16 to 20 hours a week.

There is no needed to change hourly rate because you add employee's.

You charge $60 an hour a job takes 1 man 3 hours, $180.

Two men take 1.5 hours, bill is still $180.

Three men 1 hour, bill is still $180

I'm not saying I need to hire another guy now. I was just asking for opinions. So I could start evaluating before the need comes.

My two guys are getting 35 hrs by Thursday and the still leaves Friday work. So after lunch fridays I'm paying 2 guys time and a half. So I may have 8-10 man hours of overtime depending on side jobs. My guys would work Saturdays if I asked so overtime could really rack up.

The overtime hours and pay are usually spent on side jobs, so maybe raising labor rate is the best route since those hours may be overtime hours.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:07 AM
LawnSite Member

Its been discussed in detail on here, and the best answer that continuously comes up is when it starts to cost you money not to.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Your labor rate should be your labor rate, we don't pay overtime, we just schedule our work accordingly. We have enough accounts for two men 40 hrs a week, 2 man design install crew works 40 hrs a week or as work dictates but never more than 40 hrs a week.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:10 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Your getting off light my guys hit 35 hours by Thursday as well then they still have to work Thursday.

Yes one way to look at it is side work is mostly at OT rates and thus even less appealing than it other wise would be. Way I see it is the side jobs keep my clients happy and allow me to make my money where I am set up to make it which is mowing lawns. That said I am desperately trying to figure away out to slash the over time and if it means I have a weekend part timer that assists me than so be it but after I finish these last few large mulch jobs that will be happening.
Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I would say when you are turning down work constantly because you don't have the time/man hours to complete it.
Old 06-17-2013, 09:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcbailey View Post
I would say when you are turning down work constantly because you don't have the time/man hours to complete it.
Wouldn't you want to have someone in place before that so u aren't losin money?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-18-2013, 04:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am in a similar boat right now. I know I need another employee when we were working two guys roughly 45-48 hours a week. I was working Saturdays alone and by Monday I looked at the work that needed to be done and we were still behind and getting calls about "when will this be done" . I had to start charging more then I feel comfortable. I looked at the books and found that I can't afford another employee unless the work load we have now continues year round. So there is a possibility that im not charging enough and that's why im so busy. Possibly look into this as well!
Old 06-18-2013, 06:59 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunton Guy View Post
I am in a similar boat right now. I know I need another employee when we were working two guys roughly 45-48 hours a week. I was working Saturdays alone and by Monday I looked at the work that needed to be done and we were still behind and getting calls about "when will this be done" . I had to start charging more then I feel comfortable. I looked at the books and found that I can't afford another employee unless the work load we have now continues year round. So there is a possibility that im not charging enough and that's why im so busy. Possibly look into this as well!
I'm with you. I could use another guy if the work continues but if it dries up I'm in trouble. I have one full time and one seasonal guy. I'd love to keep 2 full time guys but winters are a little slow. No snow plowing here and would love to find a little winter niche to keep them busy after Christmas til the grass starts growing.

I just hate coming home everyday dog tired and a little testy to the wife cause I'm wiped out.