Old 10-05-2015, 12:44 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Ecolawn 2016 Season by Plantscape Solutions

I got the chance to do a Hail Mary top dressing & aerating bid last week on 20 acres of sport fields for a small city northwest of Austin. This would be the only job I've ever done where the material would be delivered. Usually I'm loaded by a guy dumping out of my 20' dump trailer with two wheel barrows which loads me in about ten seconds. I will rent a dingo for loading on this job.

This also includes aeration which I have never done before. I'm going to buy the Toro/Exmark ride on machine for about $11,000 if I get the job. This is 855,984 square feet to aerate. I threw out $10 per 1K not knowing exactly what to price it at. The aerator is supposed to handle 2 acres per hour (87K square feet). I won't make enough on the aeration to pay for the machine but it will pay for a chunk of it.

I have the older version of the Ecolawn but I'm going to buy the 200 model if I get this job. This would be 513 yards of material to spread which is a bit insane. I usually use 200-300 yards a season.

Because of the small town location I doubt there will even be any other bidders. The top dressing has to be trucked in from 100 miles away. The deliver fee is $400 for a 40 yard load.

With two guys top dressing we should be able to do 75-100K square feet per day. This could just be a two week job for three guys. My bid was $80.5K and I hope to put half of that in my pocket for two weeks work. I'll let you know if I actually get the job.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, AOLP, NALP, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 10-07-2015, 12:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Make sure you ask about the newest Eco 250 machine. The design combines both the 150 tub & 200 dual spin.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-07-2015, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Congratulations and good luck getting it signed. Make sure all sprinklers are flagged so you don't hit them with aerator. It might pay to talk to a couple golf course superintendents and see if anybody has a tow behind/ground driven Mete-R-Matic topdresser they would rent you.

Are you planning (or required) to drag it in? Are there multiple places you can have this delivered and dumped so you don't have to run so far to the pile to re-load? I've found that the bottom 10% of the pile gets wasted and I have a repair job to do if it is dumped on grass. Cheap plastic tarps underneath each pile will make your final cleanup easier. Or dump on parking lot, just be sure to blow it off first and protect any drains.

You're going to love doing this kind of work, I believe. See if you can see them on an overseeding trial on the worst couple fields.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

If I did sports fields as a target market the CR-10 or CR-7 would likely be the way to go. Those things loaded can be 6,000 to 7,000 pounds. I'm guessing those machines are in the 20K to almost 40K price range from what I can see online. Then you need a tractor with turf tires to pull it.
Owner- David

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, AOLP, NALP, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Old 10-07-2015, 06:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Those are a lot bigger than what I was talking about. Not too portable or affordable. I have a tractor with turf tires but use it to load the topdresser. I have a 12 HP tractor that is more than 30 years old I am able to pull the Mete-R-Matic with. Surprised me that it worked when I first tried it.
Old 10-07-2015, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by foreplease View Post
Those are a lot bigger than what I was talking about. Not too portable or affordable. I have a tractor with turf tires but use it to load the topdresser. I have a 12 HP tractor that is more than 30 years old I am able to pull the Mete-R-Matic with. Surprised me that it worked when I first tried it.
Do you have any pictures
Owner- David

Old 10-07-2015, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah but I am limited to an iPad tonight and don't know how to post them. Check sports field forum here for a topic by me about renovating a football field under continuing use. It is about 2 years old, shows equip and every step.

I paid $800 for this topdresser around 12 years ago. Still works perfectly. I had to put the chain back on once and put air in tires, grease it, etc. it was a heck of a buy in hindsight. I also use it to place Turface on baseball infields. Looks like they were painted with a wide roller. I'd do this and fertilizing work everyday if I could.
Old 10-17-2015, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Member

Did you land the job?
Old 10-17-2015, 11:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I won't know for a few weeks. The bid was about $167,000 and after taking a closer look I'm not doing the aerating part which if fine with me. Aerating is way less profitable.
Owner- David

Old 10-18-2015, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I won't know for a few weeks. The bid was about $167,000 and after taking a closer look I'm not doing the aerating part which if fine with me. Aerating is way less profitable.
Hope you win it. But how is aerating not profitable? I like "raking it" when aerating season gets here.
09 Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36"
21" Toro SR4 Super Recycler
Stihl KM90 Kombi w/ straight shaft trimmer & tiller heads
2 Husqvarna 125B Blowers
Turfco XT5 Aerator
Turfco LS-22 Overseeder
EcoLawn 200 Applicator

I can do all things through Him who gives me strength.
Philippians 4:13