Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-19-2011, 02:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprayboy View Post
So with the filter and pump underneath a leak that could go undetected could cause some problems on lawns. Not very practical to clean the filter either.

Ted,
That can't be rust....remember......the T doesn't rust anywhere.
Must be brown paint.
Could go undetected, but if you pay attention you can catch it pretty quick, when i was running the old pump i had a fitting crack and started leaking, i noticed a flutter in my pressure guage, and i pulled onto the blacktop, ab=nd luckly no damage to the lawn.

The T tipps up on end really easy (note charles's photos) making it pretty easy to work on, granted i'm sure its not as easy as the Z-spray to service but there are many other benifits to owning a T, the pump was a nice upgrade, but it will be intresting to see long term results.

.....and ya...i also have some rust on some of the pullys, and tie rod ends

Old 07-19-2011, 07:21 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Hmmm. So... when you don't have the directo-valves engaged, the pump is constantly sending mix back to the tanks in the form of agitation. Is that correct?? If so, that seems like a good thing in one way and bad in another. Good because as long as the machine is running your mix will not settle out, bad because the pump is always running, even when not in use for actual spraying which I would think would reduce pump life due to constant wear on diaphrams and pump parts. It also seems like it would be more difficult to turn the spraying on/off(somewhat less control) Am I correct or am I misunderstanding or missing something?? Just curious, not trying to pick things apart...
Old 07-19-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Charles Cue, I just called my most experienced T-Man. He said it's possible the hose could be too short. If that is the case, you may want to install a slightly longer hose. If you do not have that size hose in stock, I'd buy it locally.

Regarding rust, for us it's usually a pulley or a spring. This is typically a once a year deal, and we keep these spare parts on hand. We keep extra belts, springs, and pulleys on hand (some of which we can buy locally). Regarding rust on T's -- it has never been a problem for us, cuz the unit itself should last for many years, and it's mostly surface rust.

Even if one has an early '08 model, they should work as good as a 2011 unit cuz the overall units are identical. Only minimal maintenance is required. All our T's still have pull cords cuz we don't need electric start, and we run 3 T's everyday. The main thing we did with our T's is increase the maximum speed from 5.0 mph to as much as 6.0 mph. (I think the guys that bought our '08 T's noticed the difference compared to the "factory set" T's they originally demoed). Oh yes, one T-Man opted for a flat fan nozzle on the spray wand instead of the cone nozzle it comes with.

IMO the T3000 is the most profitable/user friendly/most accurate/safest/most versatile ride-on unit on the market. Yet I would like to see future improvements: 1) The coiled hose replaced by a retractable hose (if that's possible), 2) Access panels for the front of the "tower". my 2 cents
Old 07-19-2011, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Hmmm. So... when you don't have the directo-valves engaged, the pump is constantly sending mix back to the tanks in the form of agitation. Is that correct?? If so, that seems like a good thing in one way and bad in another. Good because as long as the machine is running your mix will not settle out, bad because the pump is always running, even when not in use for actual spraying which I would think would reduce pump life due to constant wear on diaphrams and pump parts. It also seems like it would be more difficult to turn the spraying on/off(somewhat less control) Am I correct or am I misunderstanding or missing something?? Just curious, not trying to pick things apart...
Yes ted you are correct in all ways. I guess it's like every thing there are pro and con's to every thing we will see how long the pump last be i think it will last much longer than the Hypro pump.

It's not hard to turn off the spray or on for that fact.

My tractor is set up with a electric switch to turn on and off the spray. which is easyer but you do have a slight delay till the pump build pressure. Where with the pump running always the pressure is right there.

. But it's just what you get use to. But i did turn the knobs around on my T which i think is easyer to use.

Thanks for asking

Charles Cue
Old 07-19-2011, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Charles Cue, I just called my most experienced T-Man. He said it's possible the hose could be too short. If that is the case, you may want to install a slightly longer hose. If you do not have that size hose in stock, I'd buy it locally.

Regarding rust, for us it's usually a pulley or a spring. This is typically a once a year deal, and we keep these spare parts on hand. We keep extra belts, springs, and pulleys on hand (some of which we can buy locally). Regarding rust on T's -- it has never been a problem for us, cuz the unit itself should last for many years, and it's mostly surface rust.

Even if one has an early '08 model, they should work as good as a 2011 unit cuz the overall units are identical. Only minimal maintenance is required. All our T's still have pull cords cuz we don't need electric start, and we run 3 T's everyday. The main thing we did with our T's is increase the maximum speed from 5.0 mph to as much as 6.0 mph. (I think the guys that bought our '08 T's noticed the difference compared to the "factory set" T's they originally demoed). Oh yes, one T-Man opted for a flat fan nozzle on the spray wand instead of the cone nozzle it comes with.

IMO the T3000 is the most profitable/user friendly/most accurate/safest/most versatile ride-on unit on the market. Yet I would like to see future improvements: 1) The coiled hose replaced by a retractable hose (if that's possible), 2) Access panels for the front of the "tower". my 2 cents
Yes Larry your guy was right as you will notice in the 2nd photo the is longer now and works great thanks Larry

Charles Cue
Old 07-19-2011, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Yes ted you are correct in all ways. I guess it's like every thing there are pro and con's to every thing we will see how long the pump last be i think it will last much longer than the Hypro pump.

It's not hard to turn off the spray or on for that fact.

My tractor is set up with a electric switch to turn on and off the spray. which is easyer but you do have a slight delay till the pump build pressure. Where with the pump running always the pressure is right there.

. But it's just what you get use to. But i did turn the knobs around on my T which i think is easyer to use.

Thanks for asking

Charles Cue
Thanks Charles,
It sure is refreshing to get some credible, honest technical information about the T instead of just the same ole "used car" sales pitch.
As far as the rust goes. We all know what fert is capable of. If there is a way to find a "chink" in the armor of any piece of equipment, it will find it. It's silly for anyone to suggest that something is "bulletproof", including the Z. It just goes without saying and is why everything we use in our occupation needs maintenance.
Thanks again.

P.S. Keep us posted on how long/well that pump holds out for you.

Last edited by ted putnam; 07-19-2011 at 10:08 PM. Reason: one more thing.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Cool beans. We never have any settling of liquid product cuz we don't use wettable powders. The most common issue is fert dust buildup on the impeller fins during humid weather. Our latest shipment of fert was from AGRIUM. 30-0-5 50% XCU. It's about the dustiest fert we've seen for quite a while. It's either the filler or the potash - not sure.

Two of our T's have been using the Delavan pumps since early March -- so far, so good (no maintenance required yet). Our newest T lasted nearly 200 hours before we replaced the Hypro diaphragms recently. Currently, all 3 run production everyday. (2 Delavan + 1 Hypro) So far, so good. our 2 cents

p.s. We still have a few Hypro diaphragms for free if anybody needs them.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ted putnam View Post
Thanks Charles,
It sure is refreshing to get some credible, honest technical information about the T instead of just the same ole "used car" sales pitch.
As far as the rust goes. We all know what fert is capable of. If there is a way to find a "chink" in the armor of any piece of equipment, it will find it. It's silly for anyone to suggest that something is "bulletproof", including the Z. It just goes without saying and is why everything we use in our occupation needs maintenance.
Thanks again.

P.S. Keep us posted on how long/well that pump holds out for you.
Well thanks ted

I know what you mean about the used car thing

Charles Cue
Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by americanlawn View Post
Cool beans. We never have any settling of liquid product cuz we don't use wettable powders. The most common issue is fert dust buildup on the impeller fins during humid weather. Our latest shipment of fert was from AGRIUM. 30-0-5 50% XCU. It's about the dustiest fert we've seen for quite a while. It's either the filler or the potash - not sure.

Two of our T's have been using the Delavan pumps since early March -- so far, so good (no maintenance required yet). Our newest T lasted nearly 200 hours before we replaced the Hypro diaphragms recently. Currently, all 3 run production everyday. (2 Delavan + 1 Hypro) So far, so good. our 2 cents

p.s. We still have a few Hypro diaphragms for free if anybody needs them.
Larry we have spread agrium's 25-5-10 75% xcu for the last year and no dust at all but the potash does build up on the propeller.

Did Turfco Bob retire have not heard from him for a while

Charles Cue

Last edited by CHARLES CUE; 07-20-2011 at 09:17 PM. Reason: one last thing
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHARLES CUE View Post
Yes Larry your guy was right as you will notice in the 2nd photo the is longer now and works great thanks Larry

Charles Cue
Sorry i missed a word in the 2nd photo the HOSE is longer now and works great

For every one how didn't read in the missed word

Charles Cue