Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-22-2011, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Kawasaki vs Briggs & Stratton Pro

Can someone please educate me on why a Kawasaki engine is better than a B&S Pro? Is there a site I can visit that can give me repair statistics? Or does this go back to the perception that Japanese engines are better than American?
Old 07-22-2011, 07:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnfingers View Post
Can someone please educate me on why a Kawasaki engine is better than a B&S Pro? Is there a site I can visit that can give me repair statistics? Or does this go back to the perception that Japanese engines are better than American?
unfortunately it's not just a perception.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryB View Post
unfortunately it's not just a perception.
Basis for that comment?

I'm not trying to stir the pot, it's just that everyone seems to diss the B&S Pro and I've never had a problem with a B&S engine, dating back several decades.

Now if it was a Kohler I could understand...wore one out in 4 years of homeowner use.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

25 yrs in the industry multiple Briggs failures, unimagined luck with Kawy, Honda and Subaru. To be fair Kawy's new big blocks are garbage and Briggs' Vanguard series are amazing but built in Japan. If your putting over 400-800hrs a year on an engine Briggs ius not an option unless a Vanguard.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
25 yrs in the industry multiple Briggs failures, unimagined luck with Kawy, Honda and Subaru. To be fair Kawy's new big blocks are garbage and Briggs' Vanguard series are amazing but built in Japan. If your putting over 400-800hrs a year on an engine Briggs ius not an option unless a Vanguard.
How many homeowners put more than 400-800 hours a year on a lawn mower? It is always amazing to me when some one comes on this site to ask about a mower for say an acre lot how the recommendations always seem to instantly jump to needing a full commercial mower with a 2000 hour rated motor. For typical homeowner use the homeowner will need to be re-carbed before the mower. Maintenance can go a long way to keeping a so-called non-commercial engine running longer than seems to be common opinion. My Lawnboy brickhead has been cutting grass for 30 years with just common maintenance.
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I get better service from the Kawasaki company on parts, and tech support, that's why we push them here. Next day for parts here comes in really handy on odd ball stuff. I am having good luck out of the Briggs professional stuff this year, especially the new engines with the cyclonic air filter system...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-22-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
How many homeowners put more than 400-800 hours a year on a lawn mower? It is always amazing to me when some one comes on this site to ask about a mower for say an acre lot how the recommendations always seem to instantly jump to needing a full commercial mower with a 2000 hour rated motor. For typical homeowner use the homeowner will need to be re-carbed before the mower. Maintenance can go a long way to keeping a so-called non-commercial engine running longer than seems to be common opinion. My Lawnboy brickhead has been cutting grass for 30 years with just common maintenance.
Look at the man's question . Kawy vs Briggs. Lawnboy makes a great 2cycle engine BTW. If he asked What's good for a homeowner?Then that's a different question.
Old 07-23-2011, 07:45 AM
LawnSite Member

Used in a mower for your own lawn only, you'll be fine with the Briggs Pro. If it's to be used for commercial mowing or if you have a very large lawn then you should go with a Kawi or other commercial engine.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Look at the man's question . Kawy vs Briggs. Lawnboy makes a great 2cycle engine BTW. If he asked What's good for a homeowner?Then that's a different question.
It's posted in the homeowner's section not in commercial mowing. Leap of logic?
Lawnboy 10227 2T push mower
Stihl BG86 handheld blower
Stihl BR550 backpack blower
Stihl KM110R kombi system with lots of attachments
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer 24-inch blades
Stihl MS260PRO
Stihl MS460
Stihl MS660
Echo SRM210 trimmer

Klotz SuperTechniplate
Old 07-23-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IS500Z View Post
It's posted in the homeowner's section not in commercial mowing. Leap of logic?

I posted the question because I am a homeowner user and I only read the homeowner forum (thanks IS500Z) and that's why I'm confused by so much of the negativity wrt the Briggs engines. For a company to have been around for as long as B&S has I just find it hard to believe that they don't produce a quality product for the homeowner market (which I would imagine is their largest).

Please don't get me wrong, I really appreciate all the info you commercial guys provide - but as in every forum sometimes it's hard to separate truth from bias.