Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
LawnSite Member

Hungry worms

We've been noticing quite a few webworms and armyworms on the move in our yards (Volusia county). Have had some significant damage in some, others not much.

We use Arena WDG in all of our yards. It's been anywhere from 60 - 90 days since we put it out depending on the rotation, but we are still seeing damage in yards that were hit 60 days ago. The chinch bug control has been good, but not sure what to expect with these worms.

I thought the Arena was supposed to have up to 120 day residual. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian10048 View Post
We've been noticing quite a few webworms and armyworms on the move in our yards (Volusia county). Have had some significant damage in some, others not much.

We use Arena WDG in all of our yards. It's been anywhere from 60 - 90 days since we put it out depending on the rotation, but we are still seeing damage in yards that were hit 60 days ago. The chinch bug control has been good, but not sure what to expect with these worms.

I thought the Arena was supposed to have up to 120 day residual. Any thoughts or suggestions?

yes hire a professional lawn care company with a certified operator and a State license.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
yes hire a professional lawn care company with a certified operator and a State license.

Let me rephrase my question:
Any thoughts or suggestions from one certified applicator to another?
Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Let me rephrase my question:
Any thoughts or suggestions from one certified applicator to another?
I find it hard to believe a CPO doesn't have a clue on how to control sod or army Worms. If I may suggest old school methods of applying 5 gallon per thousand Sq Ft of carrier with a insecticide calibrated for application of 5 gallons per thousand Sq Ft. Or you could just run the irrigation before and after your application at a lower volume. There a thing called WATERED IN not watered out of watered away. Had your first application of Arena been applied correctly and watered in, in a timely fashion I don't think you would be embarrassing your self with this question.

Looks like I have to stop telling people Florida has the hardest Pesticide Test in the nation. I have heard they dumbed down, I just didn't realize how simple it is now to get a certificate.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
I find it hard to believe a CPO doesn't have a clue on how to control sod or army Worms. If I may suggest old school methods of applying 5 gallon per thousand Sq Ft of carrier with a insecticide calibrated for application of 5 gallons per thousand Sq Ft. Or you could just run the irrigation before and after your application at a lower volume. There a thing called WATERED IN not watered out of watered away. Had your first application of Arena been applied correctly and watered in, in a timely fashion I don't think you would be embarrassing your self with this question.

Looks like I have to stop telling people Florida has the hardest Pesticide Test in the nation. I have heard they dumbed down, I just didn't realize how simple it is now to get a certificate.
Alright man, thanks for being a dick. Just thought I could get some honest advice here, not ridicule from someone who hasn't calibrated my sprayer. If you have nothing helpful to say, just go to the next thread, please.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Alright man, thanks for being a dick. Just thought I could get some honest advice here, not ridicule from someone who hasn't calibrated my sprayer. If you have nothing helpful to say, just go to the next thread, please.
Just use Lorsban it will control your worms

Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Just use Lorsban it will control your worms
I wasn't aware of Chlorpyrifos being labeled for a residential setting...

I guess my question isn't necessarily what to do now, but why would I be getting mixed results out of the Arena which was applied at a rate of 12.45 oz per Acre and in a carrier of 5 gal / 1000 sf.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
LawnSite Member

From the arena label
"Arena 50 WDG has sufficient residual activity to provide high levels of control when applications are made preceding or during the egg laying activity of the target pests."
This could be a possibility.
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Brian

Most CPO's understand that products Like Arena, Alott, and Merit with longer residuals actually have windows of Opportunity for application that will control all target species on the label. Miss that timing and you miss controlling everything on the label. Bayer actually pays an Entomologist to travel the state of Florida digging up Mole Crickets in various areas. He then reports to local Golf Course and other large users the best time in their area to apply Merit to control both Mole Cricket and Grubs. BTW that timing can and will vary from year to year.

Here in Florida (the Bug Capital of America) you are going to have Pesticide failures. Excessive rain and heat speed plant growth and also hurt the efficacy of pesticides. Therefore you must stay on top of your accounts and check them regularly.

PS.Lousban is not only not labeled for residential it is now a RUP. But it will control Army worms

Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Brian, Although Arena is great against chinchbugs I've found that it is pointless against sod web worms. An app. of bifenthrin will knock them out fairly quick. Keep in mind that the manufacturer can put pretty much any pest on the label but it doesn't mean it has to work.

Tags
arena , armyworms , webworms , worms