Register free!
Search
 
     

Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-18-2011, 12:08 PM
brian10048 brian10048 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Volusia County, FL
Posts: 9
Hungry worms

We've been noticing quite a few webworms and armyworms on the move in our yards (Volusia county). Have had some significant damage in some, others not much.

We use Arena WDG in all of our yards. It's been anywhere from 60 - 90 days since we put it out depending on the rotation, but we are still seeing damage in yards that were hit 60 days ago. The chinch bug control has been good, but not sure what to expect with these worms.

I thought the Arena was supposed to have up to 120 day residual. Any thoughts or suggestions?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian10048 View Post
We've been noticing quite a few webworms and armyworms on the move in our yards (Volusia county). Have had some significant damage in some, others not much.

We use Arena WDG in all of our yards. It's been anywhere from 60 - 90 days since we put it out depending on the rotation, but we are still seeing damage in yards that were hit 60 days ago. The chinch bug control has been good, but not sure what to expect with these worms.

I thought the Arena was supposed to have up to 120 day residual. Any thoughts or suggestions?



yes hire a professional lawn care company with a certified operator and a State license.



.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-18-2011, 03:43 PM
brian10048 brian10048 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Volusia County, FL
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
yes hire a professional lawn care company with a certified operator and a State license.



.
Let me rephrase my question:
Any thoughts or suggestions from one certified applicator to another?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:11 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian10048 View Post
Let me rephrase my question:
Any thoughts or suggestions from one certified applicator to another?
I find it hard to believe a CPO doesn't have a clue on how to control sod or army Worms. If I may suggest old school methods of applying 5 gallon per thousand Sq Ft of carrier with a insecticide calibrated for application of 5 gallons per thousand Sq Ft. Or you could just run the irrigation before and after your application at a lower volume. There a thing called WATERED IN not watered out of watered away. Had your first application of Arena been applied correctly and watered in, in a timely fashion I don't think you would be embarrassing your self with this question.

Looks like I have to stop telling people Florida has the hardest Pesticide Test in the nation. I have heard they dumbed down, I just didn't realize how simple it is now to get a certificate.



.
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:17 PM
brian10048 brian10048 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Volusia County, FL
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
I find it hard to believe a CPO doesn't have a clue on how to control sod or army Worms. If I may suggest old school methods of applying 5 gallon per thousand Sq Ft of carrier with a insecticide calibrated for application of 5 gallons per thousand Sq Ft. Or you could just run the irrigation before and after your application at a lower volume. There a thing called WATERED IN not watered out of watered away. Had your first application of Arena been applied correctly and watered in, in a timely fashion I don't think you would be embarrassing your self with this question.

Looks like I have to stop telling people Florida has the hardest Pesticide Test in the nation. I have heard they dumbed down, I just didn't realize how simple it is now to get a certificate.
Alright man, thanks for being a dick. Just thought I could get some honest advice here, not ridicule from someone who hasn't calibrated my sprayer. If you have nothing helpful to say, just go to the next thread, please.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-18-2011, 04:42 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by brian10048 View Post
Alright man, thanks for being a dick. Just thought I could get some honest advice here, not ridicule from someone who hasn't calibrated my sprayer. If you have nothing helpful to say, just go to the next thread, please.
Just use Lorsban it will control your worms
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:17 PM
brian10048 brian10048 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Volusia County, FL
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ric View Post
Just use Lorsban it will control your worms
I wasn't aware of Chlorpyrifos being labeled for a residential setting...

I guess my question isn't necessarily what to do now, but why would I be getting mixed results out of the Arena which was applied at a rate of 12.45 oz per Acre and in a carrier of 5 gal / 1000 sf.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-18-2011, 05:46 PM
Plantculture Plantculture is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: South FL
Posts: 126
From the arena label
"Arena 50 WDG has sufficient residual activity to provide high levels of control when applications are made preceding or during the egg laying activity of the target pests."
This could be a possibility.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Ric's Avatar
Ric Ric is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: S W Florida
Posts: 11,043
Brian

Most CPO's understand that products Like Arena, Alott, and Merit with longer residuals actually have windows of Opportunity for application that will control all target species on the label. Miss that timing and you miss controlling everything on the label. Bayer actually pays an Entomologist to travel the state of Florida digging up Mole Crickets in various areas. He then reports to local Golf Course and other large users the best time in their area to apply Merit to control both Mole Cricket and Grubs. BTW that timing can and will vary from year to year.

Here in Florida (the Bug Capital of America) you are going to have Pesticide failures. Excessive rain and heat speed plant growth and also hurt the efficacy of pesticides. Therefore you must stay on top of your accounts and check them regularly.

PS.Lousban is not only not labeled for residential it is now a RUP. But it will control Army worms
__________________
.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-19-2011, 01:58 PM
coiclawn coiclawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Orlando
Posts: 60
Brian, Although Arena is great against chinchbugs I've found that it is pointless against sod web worms. An app. of bifenthrin will knock them out fairly quick. Keep in mind that the manufacturer can put pretty much any pest on the label but it doesn't mean it has to work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
arena , armyworms , webworms , worms

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.com™ - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.10651 seconds with 7 queries