Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-29-2011, 02:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Christmas Lights and Landscape Lighting

I sadly don't really understand the concept of these businesses. Could someone kindly explain how it works?

From what i understand, you put up, take down and store there lights. There has to be more to it then that and Dave seems to be a big player so im sure he has some insight.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Basically that is the jist of it. Of course there is design of the display, maintenance etc.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 06-29-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Yes. I assume this is a profitable business.. Do you do it all year round or is it something that could be a half year business with lawn care in the summer?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I do not see why it could not develop into something year round. For us it augments our construction/landscape season, there are a few on here that are involve din landscape lighting and this is how they fill their off season etc.

What it is, profitable and fun. I am up in NY. and last year is was down right cold when we were installing projects - after Thanksgiving it was just brutal with the wind. Then we got roughly 12' of snow which started the 27th. We ended up with roughly 12 feet total last year, and needless to say, projects were up for quite sometime.

Most likely this weekend will begin the preseason checks on everything to make sure it is ready to go in a few months.
2000 Cat 312B
2000 Cat 304 CCR
2000 Hyundai H70
2012 Scag V Ride
2009 Ferris IS3100 z
Brown Bed Edger
Multiple trailers, hand tools and smaller stuff
A son to teach the value of life, business and honor
Old 07-18-2011, 12:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

while I could do a long and detailed post here about the ins and outs of owning a lighting company, the bottom line is both landscape lighting and Christmas lighting take a ton of time to build into a year round business. every one of my competitors does lawn care or chemical work, and they basically charge what they need to cover materials and employee wages.

As a stand alone business, In order to purchase trucks and storage space, cover insurance, and make a profit to feed a family, it still shocks me what we have to charge for landscape lighting and christmas lights.

but if you already have the basic overhead of trucks and employees covered, a Christmas light division or landscape light division can be a nice add on. The profits from it are no different than any other endeavor: revenue-expenses = profit.

Everyone does it different, we are successful the way we do it, but I am not sure what we do is a blueprint for success in other markets. I have helped others through my consulting efforts bring more revenue and profit to thier table, but they also made choices on their own that brought them success in Christmas and Landscape lighting areas as well.