Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-17-2011, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Member

Bermuda grass on purpose

I live in KS and it's hot here. Don't want to waste water trying to keep up a fescue lawn. My lawn front and back is ~ 9300 sq/ft. Approx. 25% is already volunteer bermuda. Would like to convert it to Yukon Bermuda or a better grade. Can I just seed it in and let it take over? or do I need to kill out and start from scratch? If so, seed in the Fall? Thanks.
Also, my yard is very bumpy and clay-based. Can I put a load of topsoil down and spread it even? or do I need to roto-till and rake to smooth out.Thanks.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:35 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Penbar welcome! I'm not in the business, just a homeowner like you. But if it were my lawn I would do most of what you talked about but next spring. Again, I'm no expert but I think you may have missed your window so far as planting this year. When you plant Bermuda it needs to be as early in the season as possible so the roots will have enough time to get established before it goes into dormancy in the fall. What you can do is get ready for next year. If you haven't already done so, get a soil test so you know what you're dealing with. If it is determined you need to lime then go ahead & do that now. You local extension office can tell you exactly what you may or may not need to do.

10k sqft is certainly a manageable area. By this time next year you can have a gorgeous lawn. When you feed Bermuda on a regular schedule it grows like nobody's business.
Old 07-18-2011, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Penbar

I am not familiar with your climate. So I can only feed you some facts and let you make your own decisions.

First Bermuda Grass is drought Tolerant. But it also needs a lot of water to get established. Bermuda Seed Germinates at 75 Degrees Soil Temperature and above. It does best when slit seeded at 1/4 and watered and fertilized well. A starter Fertilizer is expensive but well worth it. Follow up with a Pound of Nitrogen every month of your rainy growing season. So seed when ground temperature is 75 or higher and a lot of rain or irrigation is expected.

Quality of Work input is directly equal to the Quality of the finish job. Therefore you could throw seed on existing weeds and cover them with a light dressing of top soil and get Bermuda grass. You would however have a much better lawn by tilling in some top soil and raking level.

Bermuda is a 3 level grass.

1. It is an excellent low maintenance utility turf for erosion control.

2. With a little care it can a Medium Maintenance's Home Lawn.

3. With a lot of High Maintenance it is the preferred Turf of Foot Ball, Base Ball and Golf Courses where a High quality turf is demanded.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.