Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-23-2002, 10:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Enclosed trailers

I am looking at enclosed trailers, not sure which brand to get. One thing I know, I would like to be able to get a 52 rider, and a 36" machine side by side at the rear of the trailer. I need to fit them in behind the wheel wells, or at least enough of the rider so that the 36" fits also. Will an 18 foot enclosed car hauler work, or are the wheels to far back to allow what I want? Can someone give me an idea of what size will work for me, and opinions on brands of trailers are appreciated.

Thanks
Jay
Old 10-23-2002, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

36" + 52" = 88" + 2" for side skirts of mowers = 90".

102" is the max legal width of a vehical.

Why would you want them both at the back of the trailer?

www.welscargo.com
Old 10-23-2002, 10:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

so you want to put them in the front side by side . why is the first question . if you do try to put them this way your gunna need a 8ft wide trailer
Old 10-23-2002, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dont think it will work unless you go with the 102" max. (8 1/2 feet).
Im guessing a 8ft wide would be a few inchs less on the inside than 8ft(96") plus the door way will be even a few more inches less. Probally around 92"? , making it pain to get your mowers in and out.
12x6.5 Open trailer
Exmark TTHP 48" (for sale)
48" Wrigth RH Stander 19hp
Walker 25hp 42" GHS
Honda HRC216
25" Trimmer Mower w/Honda 5.5
Shindaiwa EB-500
Shindaiwa EB-630
RedMax BCZ2400S trimmer
2 Shindaiwa T-230
Shindaiwa T-230/w hedge trimmers

Have you hugged your mower today?
Old 10-23-2002, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, I realize I need an 8.5 wide trailer. I need the shortest one I can get, though I would love the room. The reason is the tight areas, I work. I think an 18 footer would work, but only if I can go with a 52 and 36 in the very back. This would allow another tier of mowers, and some odds and ends at the front of the trailer. I would like to have room for a bench, and compressor, stuff like that up front. I just don't know if I have room to go across the back on an 18 due to axle placement.

Thanks guys
Jay
Old 10-23-2002, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

If you are going to buy an enclosed trailer (which I think is a wonderful idea) then get a Pace trailer. Every thing is bigger and thicker on them don't settle for anything else.

Brandon Shaw
Evergreen Landscaping Concepts
Old 10-23-2002, 10:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

For clarification:

My concern is wheel well placement in relation to the back door/gate. I know I will need an 8.5 wide, but how long of trailer will I need, to have the abilty to put those 2 machines side by side behind the wheel wells, ie. nearest the back gate? I am sure I did not explain very well, the length of trailer is my biggest concern. Thanks for the info on the Pace, anyone heard of Roadmaster?

Jay
Old 10-23-2002, 11:07 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I have an 8' wide trailer which was the widest they offered.....and there is no way you could get a 52" rider and a 36" w/b in side by side. I know, I have a 52" Z-Master and a 36" w/b.

I'm not sayin you couldn't get a 8.5' wide, just that "Competitor" brand didn't offer one, at least where I bought mine.

I'm sure you could get them in a 18'x8' (one in front and the other behind it) with plenty of room for some tools in the front though. You can always order a trailer with a shelf, or build in the shelves/cabinets yourself. You do want 60% of the weight in the front 50% of the trailer though for balance and braking, so I do know it would not be wise to consistently load a trailer tail heavy.

Remember there is alot of headroom in these enclosed trailers that is not used. The walls are useable for storage and the ceiling. You can hang ladders, rakes, spreaders, trimmers. Think it over.

The biggest thing is not to load it tail heavy all the time. I always park my 52" Z-Master or the Walker at the very front of my trailer, then a w/b, then another, then the push mower. My walls are full of "stuff".

Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 10-24-2002, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Member

LGF said it... wells cargo. Best enclosed trailers made... most expensive too. Haulmark makes a decent enclosed, and in my opinion, Pace American are rather crappy... but affordable.
Old 10-24-2002, 12:21 AM
Millenium Member

Pace the best? Humm.

Maybe it's time to look at Wells Cargo or Haulmark...much better trailers. And yes, I've owned a Pace also.