Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2011, 11:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Mowing 6 acres after itís been bush-hogged. Help on pricing.

I have a customer that asked me to quote a price on mowing 6 acres after he gets it bush-hogged. The land has one tree and is mostly flat. I have a 52" Grasshopper 721D and a Randsomes 48" hydro to cut with. I estimated about 8 to 10 hours for the first cut and less time with follow up maintenance cuts. I know there are a lot of variables but ,what do you think would be a fair price?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

65 dollars.
No!

Too cheap.
Then again the guy did just want the cheapest price.
But that is too cheap.

Try again...

120?
Hmmm...
I still think that's too cheap, mostly because it's only $20 an acre.
Still taking bids?
Old 07-14-2011, 11:56 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

"Lots of variables" That always scares me. Some bushogged properties would be easy to mow, some, not so much, especially if there is a lot of super thick grass, like fescue, or some sprouts in the mix. Also makes a difference in how low they have the bush hog set, how sharp the blades are, how big a hurry the operator is in, etc.

If it were me, I would tell him I would need to charge by the hour for the first cutting, then you could give a price for routine maintenance. If he won't go for that, I'd insist that I be able to look at it AFTER it is hogged, before I gave a bid.
Old 07-15-2011, 12:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
If it were me, I would tell him I would need to charge by the hour for the first cutting, then you could give a price for routine maintenance.
Same here, except I'd make it the 1st two cuts (@ hourly rate). I'd also add in the time and cost to change blades after each, if not new blades.

Good luck.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:37 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
I'd also add in the time and cost to change blades after each, if not new blades.
There's my problem, if new blades have to be factored in there's a fine chance
whatever took out the blade could have done more collateral damage as well.

Unfortunately with Ztr's, they have so much power and with the hydraulics, it has been my experience when the blades get damaged there is no guarantee that the blade will take all of the damage... That the blade will have to be replaced is pretty much a given, but I've had to replace close to $100 in parts other than the blade before and it isn't as unusual as one might think, it has happened to me more than once, sheared blade bolt $10, and believe me the broken parts list can get 3-4 deep quick and it just keeps getting longer.

Wb's are not as bad but I'd still prefer an older machine and once I start to thinking along this route I am also thinking why in the world are we even considering putting a finish mower on terrain made for a rough cutter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vencops View Post
Good luck.
Yes, indeed.
I normally won't touch fields that have to be bush hogged with a Ztr, mostly because again, why are we even considering this?

Last edited by topsites; 07-15-2011 at 08:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I should have gotten a pic of the field I cut last week. It was only about an acre.
Old 07-15-2011, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Member

Every time I brush-hog a field, the hog pulls up rocks and other debris that would destroy any ZTR.

The only time I'd recommend using a ZTR after brush-hogging is if *you* did the entire job. That way you would know for sure what sort of suprizes are waiting in the grass clumps.

Just finished hogging about 6 acres and pulled up rocks that were close to 1 ft in size. No way that particular field could see a ZTR without lots of work.

Lou Braun
Old 07-15-2011, 04:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for all the input. I take 3-4 set of extra blades with me at all times and change them in the field with an air impact so I always have fresh edges. From what I was told form the owner, the field was finished cut before but he didn't remember how long it had been. There is a house in one corner of the property(about 1,5 acres that is finished cut that he rents out , I may get to cut it also if the people living there pay me.
I'm going by the property tomorrow and see how I looks after the bush-hogging so I have a better idea of what's there. I'll take some pictures and post them.
My first taught was about $250-$300 total, thats taking in to account I will get to mow this property for a long time, maybe years.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:48 PM
LawnSite Member

I would charge $150 with my mower, believe it or not I do this very thing quite often. If I told somebody $250 for 6 acres they'd probably have a heart attack. Maybe you get more per acre in your area, I wish I could get that much. When I'm using my JD 110 Tractor I charge $30-$35 per acre.

edit: 8 hours would be a lot of time on 6 acres, if you can get $250-300 go for it!

"Perfect Is Good Enough."

Lifted 7.3 Powerstroke, Exmark, Stihl, Echo, John Deere 110 Backhoe(was just stolen from us, southern states keep your eyes peeled).

Last edited by ATLandcare; 07-15-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLandcare View Post
I would charge $150 with my mower, believe it or not I do this very thing quite often. If I told somebody $250 for 6 acres they'd probably have a heart attack. Maybe you get more per acre in your area, I wish I could get that much. When I'm using my JD 110 Tractor I charge $30-$35 per acre.

edit: 8 hours would be a lot of time on 6 acres, if you can get $250-300 go for it!
Is that a finish cut deck?
He wants it to look like a lawn again.