Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-08-2011, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Z-spray spreading heavy to the right

Could someone offer up the name of a thread that discusses the issue of a z-spray spreading heavy to the right. My searches came up empty.

Here is some background on my issue. This summer I switched to a granular grub control product offered by a company called Prokoz and the product is called Zenith (http://prokoz.net/site_files/products/file/Zenith.pdf). It is a straight Imacloprid product with no fertilizer in it that has a very small prill size that is preventing me from adjusting my Z-Spray pattern to get the product to evenly spread in front of the machine. This product is staying on my spinner plate too long and is being thrown off to the right. After struggling with this adjustment on a couple houses to get it right I stopped to look for suggestions. FYI Z-Spray was helpful over the phone in illustrating how the mechanism works and offered up that to properly adjust it you only need small adjustments to the cable to change the pattern greatly 1/8" at a time. Unfortunately, I could not get this product to properly spread after several attempts at these micro adjustments.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:14 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Adjust the accuway setting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2011, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave,
This is backwards--difficult as Z-Spray spins in the opposite direction. Not sure if I understand the situation. If the platter spins clockwise, product landing near the outside of the platter--leaves the platter first--falling mainly to the left.
So, you want more product falling onto the outside of the spinning platter.

You may need to put some duct tape or thin plastic over parts of the opening to adjust where it hits the platter.
Don't you wish you could control hole adjusters on the fly? It would be great to control the pattern when it is visible without getting off the driver position.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcreech View Post
Adjust the accuway setting
Posted via Mobile Device
Rcreech, that is the adjustment I described in the OP. I have tried adjusting it in 1/8" increments anywhere from all the way in to adjusted all the way out and in-between with little change. The best I could do is to have the center of the spread pattern wind up somewhere around 2 o-clock if that makes sense. I then had to change my driving pattern to compensate for the spread.

One thing I forgot to mention is when I would slow the spinner down from roughly a #4 setting to a #2 setting for a narrower spread, the dispersion pattern would then center.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Dave,
This is backwards--difficult as Z-Spray spins in the opposite direction. Not sure if I understand the situation. If the platter spins clockwise, product landing near the outside of the platter--leaves the platter first--falling mainly to the left.
So, you want more product falling onto the outside of the spinning platter.

You may need to put some duct tape or thin plastic over parts of the opening to adjust where it hits the platter.
Don't you wish you could control hole adjusters on the fly? It would be great to control the pattern when it is visible without getting off the driver position.
Yes this is difficult and frustrating in that I cannot get it to center without modification to my machine. BTW, you are correct in that the spinner platter spins clockwise so it does appear that I need to get the Accuway to place more product near the outside of the platter so it is dispersed more quickly and to the left. This is definitely the solution to my problem. It is also possible that the Accuway is completely out of alignment. I have never taken my hopper apart to check though. My searches have come up empty for a thread someone started here that suggested different solutions to this exact problem. Most of the conversation was about changing to a different spinner platter design if I remember right. Someone here will remember it.

Riggle unrelated but I posted a comment on a thread you started about a mole you caught in a trap this summer, and realized I bought my machine from a company near you. The company was called Mole Busters out of Grand Rapids...small world. Also heard on the WGN News that your city had a murder suicide up there last night, tragic.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Have you called LT Rich and talked to Andy?
Old 07-08-2011, 07:38 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It ain't just Z's. Have you tried swapping out the Spyker impeller with a LESCO impeller? (Andy & Scott have probably run into this before). 2 of the 4 Spyker impeller fins are "curved right" The LESCO impellers are all straight blades. my 2 cents
Old 07-08-2011, 10:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Dave, yeah we were nervous as heck last night. I checked the door locks 3 times. Bipolar--off his meds. He shot 7 people including his own daughter. Then--when cornered with hostages--he shot himself.
Sure I know the Tuffturf/Mole Busters people, not far away.
Maybe the imidicloprid stuff you are using with the small particles flows too freely. I suggest (duct tape) cover one-third of the opening near the center so no product can flow out onto the spinner near the center (as that product always leaves the spinner last and goes to the right.)
You may need to build an adjustable flat plastic cover to block product from that center area. Get it where you want it and tighten the screws. Drive across 10 paper plates to calibrate the pattern. Count the particles in each plate.

Regards,
John
Old 07-09-2011, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Service 1st Lawn Care View Post
Have you called LT Rich and talked to Andy?
Yes, in the OP I said that I called Z-Spray and adjusted the Accuway as they suggested. They were helpful in illustrating how the problem is happening and that the solution is to adjust the Accuway but in my case it did not correct the problem. It did bring the center of the spread somewhere around 2 o-clock. From there I had to adjust my spread pattern so I got the correct overlap. I believe part of the problem is the prill size. This Prokoz Zenith insecticide is about the same size as patio paver base.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Dave, yeah we were nervous as heck last night. I checked the door locks 3 times. Bipolar--off his meds. He shot 7 people including his own daughter. Then--when cornered with hostages--he shot himself.
Sure I know the Tuffturf/Mole Busters people, not far away.
Maybe the imidicloprid stuff you are using with the small particles flows too freely. I suggest (duct tape) cover one-third of the opening near the center so no product can flow out onto the spinner near the center (as that product always leaves the spinner last and goes to the right.)
You may need to build an adjustable flat plastic cover to block product from that center area. Get it where you want it and tighten the screws. Drive across 10 paper plates to calibrate the pattern. Count the particles in each plate.

Regards,
John
The discharge opening in my hopper has one large door that allows the product to pass over the Accuway teeth to control where the product is dispersed. It does not have the three openings you mention. My trusty PG ultra had those though and they were great for adjusting the pattern. I dont have that option in this this case.