Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-21-2011, 03:35 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

It is very very important to get the good quality hedge trimmer instead of the Craftsman, Troybilt type. The blade is the major difference, the cheap brand don't use real knife edge blades and most of them are not dual motion( both blades move opposite direction), they have just one moving blades and the other one is stationary.

You should get the HS45 or Echo HC150 or Kawasaki, those are the cheapest but commercial quality that will last for years to come. Don't be too cheap and regret, remember if it is not good enough, it is too expensive. I don't own Stihl but read a lot of good things about HS45. I own the Echo HC151 and it is a tough cookie, it is the most reliable piece of all my toys.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

When small equipment sits a while the carb can get gunked up with varnish. If you only use em 2x/ yr. then maybe see if your local equipment rental has them, would probably only be $30 for the day. if you pay 300-450 for one it has to laast 5-8 years to beat that.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.p...10#post4099310

Ex-mark 60" mulch kit with oregon high lift blades for sale MAKE OFFER! http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=364386

http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t...ighlight=agape

Old 07-21-2011, 09:32 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it's settled. I just bought an hs45. 2 years old and got it for 165.00. Its in good shape. I would have had a hard time buying anything but Stihl. I am pretty brand loyal to Stihl, Toro and Ford. None have failed me yet.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 07-21-2011, 11:02 AM
LawnSite Member

Way to go! Cutting is a blast with them.
Old 07-21-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
it's settled. I just bought an hs45. 2 years old and got it for 165.00. Its in good shape. I would have had a hard time buying anything but Stihl. I am pretty brand loyal to Stihl, Toro and Ford. None have failed me yet.
I am a Ford fan. I owned 3 Fords, never fail me yet. One, I had over 200K, all dented, I gave it to my friend and drove for few years and he finally drove it to the junk yard!!!!

Good, glad you decided not to get the cheap brands. Hedge trimmer is one of those you cannot be cheap.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlee View Post
I thought we were going to be best friends until you mentioned Ford. Now, unfortunately, we can never speak about any topic. My family has owned one Ford, and it has been nothing but a pain in the rear end, and although it is still on the road, it is constantly needing something repaired.

Driven countless Chevy's/GMC up to 150k and more, never thought anything of it. Outside of the standard oil changes and maintenance (which I'm not good at keeping up), never had any major problems (I will write off the one transmission that I just had to get replaced).

My business provides quality lawn care, but more than that, we offer even higher customer service.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravyTrain View Post
I thought we were going to be best friends until you mentioned Ford. Now, unfortunately, we can never speak about any topic. My family has owned one Ford, and it has been nothing but a pain in the rear end, and although it is still on the road, it is constantly needing something repaired.
My My last Ford F150 had 382,468 on Engine and tranny when I finally tore her apart and made a woodmaster vehicle out of her bones. My current Superduty has the 7.3 diesel with 157k on it. Both stayed/have stayed nice trucks.

My dad always said,
"If you want a workhorse, get a Ford".
"If you want a comfy truck, get a Chevy"
"If you want a nice looking, nice sounding, but will leave you broke down in the middle of nowhere truck, get a Dodge"

Personally, I have had all 3. Had 1/2 tons in all 3 and one 3/4ton.
Chevy fuel pumps went out alot, but they WERE good trucks. Until they became "Obama Motor Company"
Dodge was a good strong truck that I dropped 2 trannys into.
Fords were just alternators, starters, and one brake caliper.

RIP SFC Hall, SGT Forest, CPL Pautsch.I will never forget you guys!

I am the Infantry! Follow me!
Old 07-22-2011, 01:34 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

great choice man good luck with them.. ipicked up a pair with 24" blades a month ago.. im not really a sthil guy but every year i find myself with more and more sthil stuff lol..the first day i used these i had a smile from ear to ear
Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

buy the stihl, you cant go wrong you will it it a long time. i have a weed eater i bought over 15 yrs ago and it still works great, it is my back up now.
2003 scag turf tiger liquid cooled 61
2005 scag tiger cub 48
2007 exmark turf tracer 60 hydro
2006 exmark viking 36 hydro
3 echo trimmers
2 echo backpack blowers
1 redmax extended hedge trimmer
1 stihl hedge trimmer
Old 07-22-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Posted via Mobile Device