Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-24-2002, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Kindness pays off!

On tuesday i was finishing up mowing my yeard and i was on the side with my neighbors. Well they really dont take care off there lawn and the dad screwed his back up last spring and hasnt been working sence and i am kinda friends with them. Well he drives up to his drive way and i go over and talk to him then I ask him if he wants his yard done for free and hes says yea sure thanks. Well i spent about 2 hours doing it and just because im doing it for free doesn't mean im not going to do a good job. The yard has never been trimmed or edge at all so i did that took a while then it hasn't been mowed in like 3 weeks, There were piles of leaves everywhere. but i got it all mowed and trimmed and edged and cleaned it up real good. Well the next day he somes over and wants to hire me for the rest of the year and next year for lawn and snow and i agree but i give him a break on the price cause of what hes going thorugh and hes a friend. Then today he comes over and tells me that he had refered me to some of his realatives and friends and they were intersted in having me do there lawn and snow to.:blob3:
Well for the price of gas and trimmer line and my time i got 6 new lawn and snow acocunts which goes to show you that a little kindness wont kill ya and it pays off in the end.

Wesley's Lawn
Old 10-24-2002, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good for you, glad to hear you had a good turn of events for your efforts .....
Old 10-24-2002, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

You don't have to load the trailer for that one. It should be a little cheaper. Same here, I didn't solicit any of my neighbors until after I had several other accounts and started using a commercial mower on my own property. I picked up two across the street from me. One just bought a Cub Cadet hydro lawn tractor and the cut s__k_d. They came to me. I also aerated and seeded/fert them both about 3 weeks ago. The one constant that I've heard while being a member here is that most business is gained through referrals.
Old 10-24-2002, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I mow my neighbors Lawn. I told him I wouldn't take any money for it. I do it about every 2 weeks or whenever I feel like it. In return he drops of a case of beer. It's the thought that counts, Right? Lucky for me I only have 2 neighbors, so nobody will ever see me do his freebe.

give a man a fish feed him for a day; teach a man to fish feed him for a lifetime!
Old 10-24-2002, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Luke 6:38
38 Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you."
NIV

Scott

Ps 23:1-2
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want. He makes me lie down in GREEN PASTURES
Old 10-24-2002, 12:31 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I am glad your act of kindness was rewarded so quickly. I just goes to show you if you do a great job people will notice and if you do a crap job people will notice.

Gravely_Man
Old 10-24-2002, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

good going. i am personally never that lucky, for me it would be, "how much"? so and so said u do his for alot cheaper
Old 10-24-2002, 06:41 PM

Congrats. It's great to hear things like that. You get more with honey than you do with vinegar.
Old 10-24-2002, 08:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

i personnaly knew a man who was left 80 acres of prime developement land.
all he did was befriend an elderly lady.
needless to say he sold the land for much more than enougfh to live on the rest ofv his life.its not the reason to be kind ,but this did happen.