Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-14-2011, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

price of installs too low in Houston area

Just got my Texas irrigator license ( whew! what a test). Some of my compettitors are only charging $350-$400 per zone. I can barely buy supplies for a zone for that kind of money. Any one else run into this? Sure, I could put 2 or 3 heads on a zone to strech it out; but that's insane. Maybe I need to find a new supplier ( I have great pricing at area warehouses).
Old 07-14-2011, 03:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landscape dawg View Post
Just got my Texas irrigator license ( whew! what a test). Some of my compettitors are only charging $350-$400 per zone. I can barely buy supplies for a zone for that kind of money. Any one else run into this? Sure, I could put 2 or 3 heads on a zone to strech it out; but that's insane. Maybe I need to find a new supplier ( I have great pricing at area warehouses).
Maybe your pricing isn't as good as you think.

6 zonesx 400= 2400..... You buying from home depot? Also putting 3 heads on a zone is not logical, and the price difference between 3 heads and 8 is not that much depending on nozzles.
Old 07-14-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Member

I only buy from JD landscapes and ewing. Of course I will buy something from the depot occassionally. What if a client only wants 1 or 2 zones? It is sorta like sticker shock to me. I just moved from Mississippi where I was installing for $800 -$1200 per zone. I guess I'll have to get used to it.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Bidding by the zone is not wise in my opinion. I'd bid by head before I'd bid by zone. Wouldn't do either though.

Design a system that you can sell. This is so important to me. Make the system personal.
add the materials and figure the labor cost(including yourself), your overhead figure, and the profit you want. When you reduce your price it comes out of profit.
A 1-2 zone system needs to have a very high profit margin.
Old 07-14-2011, 04:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Heads are where the effort is, and more or less zone valves is not a giant factor.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't bother trying ot compete on installs here, there are too many illegal guys (not licensed) installing systems that don't meet the current laws or have even coverage for next to nothing. You'll be a lot better off if you just focus on repairs and retrofits to fix the $200 - $300 a zone systems those guys are installing. People are willing to pay to make it right once they see how bad it is for themselves but it's next to impossible to convince them that they need to pay more for a good install.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Member

I had already thought about concentrating on repairs and "do-overs" to get started with. thanks for all the suggestions.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIMCO-MEISTER View Post
Bidding by the zone is not wise in my opinion. I'd bid by head before I'd bid by zone. Wouldn't do either though.

Design a system that you can sell. This is so important to me. Make the system personal.
add the materials and figure the labor cost(including yourself), your overhead figure, and the profit you want. When you reduce your price it comes out of profit.
A 1-2 zone system needs to have a very high profit margin.
Bingo... Bidding by zone is horrible, and by head is less horrible.

Don't get your head down, there is money to be made on installs.

Follow these instructions:

1. RUN AWAY FROM EWING!!!

2. WALK QUICKLY AWAY FROM JD!

3. Find a local supplier. PM me if you would like.
Old 07-14-2011, 08:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I price by the job how long it will take and the conditions. I look at the property and give a price I figured out how many zones out once I start the job and flag it off. Never Price by the zone or head. Did a job today four zones it took 4 men 8 hours to completely install it. Supplies cost $700.00 Charge the customer $2750.00. Not bad for one day.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Irrigation is irrigation.