Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2011, 05:29 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

OSHA Safety Colors

So we are about to buy new shirts...guy working the counter says he heard that a lawn operator got fined a gazillion dollars for not wearing approved safety colors. Maybe if it was an operator cutting the right of ways or something but for normal type jobs? Sounds fishy to me. Any of y'all hear of such a requirement?
Old 07-26-2011, 08:02 PM
LawnSite Member

Required? Not sure but I wear this reflective belt due to safety issues to myself and from others.

http://www.harborfreight.com/support...rge-94235.html

Old 07-26-2011, 08:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Got told something very similar several years back. If you are line trimming or edging a road way and get hit by a car you can be @ fault if you (they) don't have safety colors on. I thought he (the cop)was full of sh!t but nobody with the state could say either way so I and my crew wear safety colors.
Old 07-26-2011, 09:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Osha

What a great topic for me to post my first reply... OSHA has volumes of regulations to cite an employer with... If they can't find one then they can cite an employer for violating the general duty clause. The general duty clause basically states an employer has a duty to keep employees safe and provide a workplace free from hazards. If an employer cannot engineer out hazards then they must provide employees with personal protective equipment, i.e. earplugs, safety glasses, etc.

OSHA is only concerned with employee safety. They don't care how difficult it is for employers to comply. If you are ever unlucky enough to have a fatality or a catastrophic event where 3 or more employees are injured, bend over and take it, cause they're gonna bring it.

Now to traffic vests... OSHA instructs employers to follow the MUTCD, or the manual of uniform traffic control devices. Interestingly enough, the MUTCD is written by vendors and released every two or three years. Now you know why the colors, stripes, sizes, directions and all the other garbage changes every so often... It's a way for them to make lots and lots of money.

The traffic safety suppliers/manufacturers throw lots of money around DC. They have folks who lobby for new laws just like everyone else. The latest and greatest states any employee working on a public road right-of-way shall (no exception) have the appropriate hi-viz attire on. The attire depends on the volume of traffic and the speed limit. Everyone should try to have a minimum of class 2, and get them retro-reflective if you cut in low-light conditions.

I promise you, an employer will be able to buy lots of the correct vests if an employee happens to be struck and killed next to a public roadway. Our last accident review included a fatality for a company where OSHA cited 5 offenses and the citation was $200k. The inspector saw a chainsaw on the truck and asked if there were chaps on the trucks for employees to use... there wasn't. Keep in mind this had absolutely nothing to do with the accident, but it was cited anyway. Those kinds of fines are tough for any business.

Anyway... if somebody actually finished reading this post, this is another reason why businesses re-locate south/north/east/west of our borders. EPA, OSHA, FMCSR, etc... all have become tough on the bottom line.

No more soapbox...

Good luck all... Saftgeek-
Old 07-26-2011, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

All my new shirts this year are safety green
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2011, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Coming from the supply side of the business a few years ago, I was usually one of the first to hear when OSHA nailed one of my customers. A big thing they would always get them for was the safty vest. Once caught the guys would go out and imediately by vest, and the smarter ones would order the safty orange, green, or yellow shirts with the reflective stripes and have their complany logo printed on hem. This way they didn't have to worry about the guys taking off the vest when the owner isn't on site. And They are not just needed while working near roadways. I had one company fined while they were mowing ball fields, the fields and trucks were parked a good 100 yards from the street.
Old 07-26-2011, 11:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

OSHA is a perfect example of why dumba$$ employees should not be considered under employer guidelines. I understand why they are in place but still does not explain why some employees do the things they do.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by saftgeek View Post
What a great topic for me to post my first reply... OSHA has volumes of regulations to cite an employer with... If they can't find one then they can cite an employer for violating the general duty clause. The general duty clause basically states an employer has a duty to keep employees safe and provide a workplace free from hazards. If an employer cannot engineer out hazards then they must provide employees with personal protective equipment, i.e. earplugs, safety glasses, etc.

OSHA is only concerned with employee safety. They don't care how difficult it is for employers to comply. If you are ever unlucky enough to have a fatality or a catastrophic event where 3 or more employees are injured, bend over and take it, cause they're gonna bring it.

Now to traffic vests... OSHA instructs employers to follow the MUTCD, or the manual of uniform traffic control devices. Interestingly enough, the MUTCD is written by vendors and released every two or three years. Now you know why the colors, stripes, sizes, directions and all the other garbage changes every so often... It's a way for them to make lots and lots of money.

The traffic safety suppliers/manufacturers throw lots of money around DC. They have folks who lobby for new laws just like everyone else. The latest and greatest states any employee working on a public road right-of-way shall (no exception) have the appropriate hi-viz attire on. The attire depends on the volume of traffic and the speed limit. Everyone should try to have a minimum of class 2, and get them retro-reflective if you cut in low-light conditions.

I promise you, an employer will be able to buy lots of the correct vests if an employee happens to be struck and killed next to a public roadway. Our last accident review included a fatality for a company where OSHA cited 5 offenses and the citation was $200k. The inspector saw a chainsaw on the truck and asked if there were chaps on the trucks for employees to use... there wasn't. Keep in mind this had absolutely nothing to do with the accident, but it was cited anyway. Those kinds of fines are tough for any business.

Anyway... if somebody actually finished reading this post, this is another reason why businesses re-locate south/north/east/west of our borders. EPA, OSHA, FMCSR, etc... all have become tough on the bottom line.

No more soapbox...

Good luck all... Saftgeek-
S., can you give link to the source?
thanks
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dem again how did it go with the vest thing. Did he fire you.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLAhaulboy View Post
Required? Not sure but I wear this reflective belt due to safety issues to myself and from others.

http://www.harborfreight.com/support...rge-94235.html

Is that you? Just kidding
10Ft Dump Trailer
12Ft Leaf Box Billy Goat
60" Exmark Lazer Z
52" Hustler Mini Z
44" Toro Z Master
36" Bunton WB
21" Honda WB
Redmax & Stihl Handhelds
Bunch of other crap!!