Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2011, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
Some of these so called "waterproof wirenuts" are not so waterproof.
I've undone some King nuts that clearly have corrosion caused by water.
King had a problem with their early versions in that the sealant hardened-up. The newer ones seem better. If I thought I'd have a flooded condition, DBY/DBR would be my choice.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:50 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Connections:
The newer version of the king Dry Conn, with the clear goop is a lot better than the ones with the white grease.

BTW, does anyone still use Penntite? Do they still make it? And wasn't it Spears that made the pre-filled Dry-Splice a.k.a. DS-400s?

You could get by with 3M Scotchlok wire nuts wrapped in tape and dipped in Scotchkote. More steps involved and messier than the Dry Conn, but probably greater peace of mind long term.

Filters:
City water or not, I always use filters with drip. I prefer the 150 stainless mesh to the polyester or nylon or whatever it is. I always use some kind of pressure regulation too, unless the static pressure is already below 50 PSI.

Microsprays:
They ones on fixed stakes get damaged by kids, gardeners and rodents here. I switched to Rain Bird 6 inch Xeripop heads with 5 ft. or 8 ft. nozzles years ago and haven't looked back. Do the math to see if they'll work in your situation. I even used them with MP Rotator nozzles recently with no problems.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
Connections:
They ones on fixed stakes get damaged by kids, gardeners and rodents here. I switched to Rain Bird 6 inch Xeripop heads with 5 ft. or 8 ft. nozzles years ago and haven't looked back. Do the math to see if they'll work in your situation. I even used them with MP Rotator nozzles recently with no problems.
I might look at the xeripops. They have a lot of options (xeribug, xeribubbler, xeri spray and mister, not to mention the XF dripline. I'm not quite sure what is the best - I'm using it for beds which are maybe 5 feet deep and then follow the length of my house or fence. I mostly have bushes but plan to plant more flowers in the future
Old 07-22-2011, 04:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I always use a filter with any drip system. I woluldn't say that it is always entirely necessary however. Some parts of the San Fernando Valley have awful water with lots of sediment from decaying pipes and passing through aqueducts. Other areas like Orange County have fine water that dosen't require a whole lot of filtration.

I've come across small crustaceans living in systems fed off municipal water. Usually in a valve or a filter. Sometimes I come across small aquatic snails or their shells in filter screens on sprayheads.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irrig8r View Post
City water or not, I always use filters with drip. I prefer the 150 stainless mesh to the polyester or nylon or whatever it is. I always use some kind of pressure regulation too, unless the static pressure is already below 50 PSI.
So, who checks the filters regularly, your crew or the client? I've been on a ton of cold calls where we finally tracked it down to either a clogged DCV or filter, or both. Got to either put that in your service contract or instruct the client (who will always forget).
Old 07-22-2011, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
So, who checks the filters regularly, your crew or the client? I've been on a ton of cold calls where we finally tracked it down to either a clogged DCV or filter, or both. Got to either put that in your service contract or instruct the client (who will always forget).
Something must happen to those drip filters when close proximity to the ocean (salt air exposure or something to that effect), never could figure it out, but on municipal water, the mesh filter and fittings up to the filter always clog up with a mossy type growth after non use during winter, when operational, no problems with clogging.

John
Old 07-22-2011, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by phareous View Post
I might look at the xeripops. They have a lot of options (xeribug, xeribubbler, xeri spray and mister, not to mention the XF dripline. I'm not quite sure what is the best - I'm using it for beds which are maybe 5 feet deep and then follow the length of my house or fence. I mostly have bushes but plan to plant more flowers in the future
I've been a big fan of the xeri pop up and use them in flower bed situations. Easy to move if need be, can get them low to ground and pop up to 8" or so above ground.

I use these on all my commercial color beds on my commercial maintenance accounts.

John
Old 07-22-2011, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I use filters, just in case some numbnuts contaminates the main or discharge lines when damage/repairs happen.