Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2011, 05:12 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

msma

I been out spraying some yards with msma for crabgrass. Yes I know I'm not suppose to but had some left over from last yr and drive just does not work. I had a customer called today upset that I killed his fescue. I knew it would set the fescue around the crabgrass but feel like that it will come back with rain and cooler weather. What do yall think. I only sprayed in the early morning. Hope yall will tell me what I want to hear. I did tell him that if it doesn't come back I will take care of it. I sprayed some yards last week and they look fine. Also what are yall using for crabgrass? I'm sorry I use drive last yr and tried it again this yr and yes I use mso and it will set it back but that is it. I feel with crabgrass we have lost a battle fighting it now with msma gone.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You can use your old stock MSMA...you just cant buy it anymore. That being said...I have found MSMA to be very hard on fescue...especially at the time when MSMA is applied (heat)...hell, its hard on bermuda.

"A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed."
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been using Q4plus this year. The results are pretty good. For crabgrass or foxtail the 3oz per gallon maximum rate is a must.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Quinclorac is definitely a lost cause without ample soil moisture.

I still have plenty of MSMA left, but am occasionally pairing it with .5 lb/A quinclorac w/MSO. I'm getting plenty of one app kills with that combo.

Not looking forward to running out of MSMA at all.

Fenoxaprop is no good and neither is fluazifop.

With RR crops here to stay, don't look for any new products to hit the market either.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superintendent View Post
I been out spraying some yards with msma for crabgrass. Yes I know I'm not suppose to but had some left over from last yr and drive just does not work. I had a customer called today upset that I killed his fescue. I knew it would set the fescue around the crabgrass but feel like that it will come back with rain and cooler weather. What do yall think. I only sprayed in the early morning. Hope yall will tell me what I want to hear. I did tell him that if it doesn't come back I will take care of it. I sprayed some yards last week and they look fine. Also what are yall using for crabgrass? I'm sorry I use drive last yr and tried it again this yr and yes I use mso and it will set it back but that is it. I feel with crabgrass we have lost a battle fighting it now with msma gone.
Drive should get it if it is crabgrass.
Is there a possibility you are mistaking it for dallisgrass.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I'm with sprayboy; drivexlr8 has totally killed crabgrass in my experience. DG just smiles and continues to grow. I never really noticed how much DG was in some of my lawns until I used drive, then I saw what I was calling large crabgrass was actually smaller DG
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2011, 10:28 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

yup, getting ready to use some of my msma on johnson grass. love the way it burns it down. gonna miss msma for sure.

there needs to be something better, other specialty herbicides are too damn much $, but cant say how they work for the hard to kills like johonson, dallis and barnyard grasses etc. anyone>? quinclorac wont touch them
Old 07-21-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I often think about having a complete lawn of nothing but Crabgrass. It stays green.....even in the heat, lack of water, and continues to grow when nothing else will.
Keep it mowed once a week.........cut it low and watch it flourish into a nice lawn.
Why fight something that is bound to survive.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassman177 View Post
yup, getting ready to use some of my msma on johnson grass. love the way it burns it down. gonna miss msma for sure.

there needs to be something better, other specialty herbicides are too damn much $, but cant say how they work for the hard to kills like johonson, dallis and barnyard grasses etc. anyone>? quinclorac wont touch them
Grassman, I never had much luck killing barnyard grass with MSMA, even with sequential apps. Celsius will kill it in one shot. Are you using the MSMA to kill this weed in cool season or warm season turf? I know you've said in the past that you have some bermuda up there...
Old 07-22-2011, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
I often think about having a complete lawn of nothing but Crabgrass. It stays green.....even in the heat, lack of water, and continues to grow when nothing else will.
Keep it mowed once a week.........cut it low and watch it flourish into a nice lawn.
Why fight something that is bound to survive.
Except it doesn't cut well and leaves stringers everywhere!
Posted via Mobile Device