Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Member

workers pay question

Ok guys,sorry for the long post ahaed of time.
For the most part I am a solo operation,except for the days when its too hot or too much work,that is when family members pitch in like my father-in-law,brother-in-law,couple buddies.
50% of the time,it was like you help me for a day or two in my job,I'll help you a day or two removing their carpet,putting up a fence,woodfloors... it worked out quiet good for a few years,some times I pay them extra in money or steaks and pizza...No harm done,everyone is happy.
But this year,it looks like I bit more than what I can handle and took on lots of work.
I have a couple of helpers who we used to work together back in the day in a resturant who would answer the phone if I called for help on big mulching or trimming jobs.
Now,I want to know if I am paying them too much.
I pay $10.00 per hour each
I pick them up and drop them off (10 miles away) $16.00 in gas extra
I buy them lunch $10 total
make sure they have at least 3 gatorade each in my cooler $6.00 total
plus water i never calculated that(i think that should always be stocked).
The good part is if they were both busy,they can get me somebody to help for that day almost always.
I want to ask them to work for me full time and ditch their work or leave it as part time( regular paychecks and so)not a day here and there.
How much extra in taxes it will cost me.they do hustle and make my day easy.so should i pay them more or 10 is more than enough( i am fully insured,fully licensed) no workman's comp yet,but my agent said it shouldn't cost that much extra.
thanks
Echo and stihl handhelds
Old 07-21-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Member

If you can afford to do this, then keep on because a happy employee is a more productive employee.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Member

sounds like you've got a couple really good helpers that you don't want to lose. I would keep treating them like gold. They will also realize that they have a really nice boss and it shows that you appreciate them and they will also realize that they can't find that everywhere.

A little appreciation goes a long way. Keep it up and they will keep busting their hump for you.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:53 PM
LawnSite Member

and I would think that as long as $10/hr is fine with them, it's not too much in my opinion.
Old 07-21-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmowingmaster View Post
How much extra in taxes it will cost me.they do hustle and make my day easy.so should i pay them more or 10 is more than enough( i am fully insured,fully licensed) no workman's comp yet,but my agent said it shouldn't cost that much extra.
thanks
You need to look to someone for your area to answer your question about what the taxes are going to cost you as state income tax will obviously be different state to state.

As far as workman's comp., dependent on your state, you may not have to have it if you do not wish to dependent on the size of your company in terms of employees and/or other factors.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!