Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-31-2011, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Member

Just bought a new Dewalt power washer; 4200psi @ 4.0 gpm. Instructions say not to use bleach, but talks about use of other soaps and chemicals(mentions nothing specific). This is my first venture into power washing and would like to do it right without ruining equipment and clients siding or paint. Please help me out.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
LawnSite Member

You wouldn't want to run bleach through the pump itself. I run it through the pump and gun all the time. Just be sure to flush the chemical injector and lines with water after you're done. Since the chemical injector only draws at low pressure, that means you'll need to get a bucket of clean water and put the chemical hose in it, and then use the black soap tip (low pressure) to pump the water through it.

Dont forget to do that because bleach IS corrosive, but it should be fine to use for a short time as long as its flushed afterwards.

You could mix bleach-water in a pump up sprayer and use it that way. I do that some as long as its not a 2 story house I am washing.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

You can use an xjet or a downstreamer.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torque454 View Post
You wouldn't want to run bleach through the pump itself. I run it through the pump and gun all the time. Just be sure to flush the chemical injector and lines with water after you're done. Since the chemical injector only draws at low pressure, that means you'll need to get a bucket of clean water and put the chemical hose in it, and then use the black soap tip (low pressure) to pump the water through it.

Dont forget to do that because bleach IS corrosive, but it should be fine to use for a short time as long as its flushed afterwards.

You could mix bleach-water in a pump up sprayer and use it that way. I do that some as long as its not a 2 story house I am washing.
Sorry, I meant I run it through the pump and hose and chemical injector all the time.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:39 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressure Washing Cleve View Post
You can use an xjet or a downstreamer.
I dont know if his machine would work with an X-jet, plus its a big expense. And unless I am confusing this thread with another one, I think he is just a homeowner wanting to wash his home. I dont think he would want to spend $125+ on an X-Jet he might only use once or twice.

I have general pumps version of the X-jet and honestly I hate it. I dont like it at all. You cant tell where the chemical is being applied because you cant see the stream all you see is the freggin mist coming off of it. Its like using a zero degree tip. Cant hardly see where the stuff is landing unless you're up close. Big no no on vinyl siding

A downstreamer I think is what he has on his machine already. Thats the one he said the instructions say not to use bleach with. I'd do it anyways if it were me. In fact I DO do it with my downstreamer all the time. I prefer my downstreamer to anything else, its just a pain to soap, clear the line, rinse, move to another area, fill the line with soap, apply soap, clear line, rinse, move one, over and over. Would be fine for a one time thing for a homeowner, but a giant pain and time waster for someone like me doing it all the time. Time is money $$$$
Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Just started downstreaming this year. Still carry the xjet for emergencies.
Old 09-01-2011, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Thanks for the helping info. I've been using a lesser and older model to apply the soap/bleach/water and the higher pressure Dewalt to rinse. Not the most cost effective way to operate but have had some good results.
I thought when I bought this Dewalt I was getting a professional power washer but I'm seeing 13HP Honda powered power washers going for twice what I paid. I'm guessing I bought a high end homeowners washer. Am I correct?
Old 09-02-2011, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Member

yep, its a high end home owners washer
Old 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroskie View Post
Just bought my first home and noticed in areas theres mildew or small mold spores on the siding, Ive used several different vinyl siding cleaning chemicals that you spray on then hose off and shocker non of them work, mother inlaw said to use bleach but cause it worked on her house but i dont wanna kill my grass and plants and im sure its not good for the house period, can anybody point me in the right direction?
Jc powerwash is correct. It is an artillery fungus that comes straight from your mulchbeds. Ive been in this line of work for a long time and after hours of research ive found only one thing that will take it off with ease. Its a chemical called "The Brown Stuff" run it through your chemical injector let it sit for about 5seconds, wash down real real good and it melts right on off like butter. Failing to remove all chemical from house will result in a very ugly brown stain that will not come off.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierLandCare View Post
Jc powerwash is correct. It is an artillery fungus that comes straight from your mulchbeds. Ive been in this line of work for a long time and after hours of research ive found only one thing that will take it off with ease. Its a chemical called "The Brown Stuff" run it through your chemical injector let it sit for about 5seconds, wash down real real good and it melts right on off like butter. Failing to remove all chemical from house will result in a very ugly brown stain that will not come off.
where do you find "the brown stuff"? I would like to test it