Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 10-27-2002, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't think you can go wrong with Ford or Dodge. I would much rather have a 6 cylinder Cummins than a V8 diesel.
If the cummins was in the Ford, ....well maybe.

I like the body style of the 94 through 01 Dodge better than any other, second would be Fords in the early 90s.

I compared both, way they rode, interior and service-ability, and reputation.

Before I bought this truck, I was a Ford-aholic. I do still own a classic mustang.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-01-2002, 11:26 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Overpriced. I got a 2001 Dodge Ram 24 valve Cummins 30k miles for $26k AFTER taxes and tag. It's not a 4x4x, though, so not sure how that would influence it. Just my thought.
Old 11-01-2002, 11:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Altalawncare, what type of Mustang?
I got a sweeeeet 68 Mustang, garaunteed to smoke anything! 1/4 mile in 9 seconds now. He he, I love it!

Old 11-02-2002, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

It's a 70 cnvertible..still in a very slow process of restoration, and use that word lightly.

It had extensive rust damage. I've replaced all the inner structure, floors, and even shock towers.

It has the 76B bodystyle (convert. with deluxe interior), and came with a 302 3 speed.

I'm planning on finishing it with slight engine mods, and a 4 speed.

I've owned it for over ten years now. Hopefully over the next 2 years, I can get back on it and finish it.

Altavista Lawn Care
Old 11-02-2002, 10:17 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Restoration huh? My car club and I are doing that right now with a 73 Mustang with the original 351 Cleveland in it.
Hmmm, three speed eh? Yeah, definately upgrade to 4 speed. We have a 6 speed on the 68 Mustang, and a five speed on the 73.
Extensive rust damage? Thats a bummer. the rust on the 73 was so bad that we had to order replacement fiberglass body parts!

Lemme know how it goes...

Old 11-04-2002, 10:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Look at kellyblue book for value of truck.
Old 11-19-2002, 01:04 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Just out of curriousity, I went and looked up my F-350 at the Kelly Blue Book website, and its worth $11,000. To me that truck is worth far more than that, its a priceless memory for me. Heck, I got my first kiss ever in the back end of it. The first deer I shot, I threw it in the bed, the first wreck I got into, was in that truck. My first speeding ticket. Lots of firsts.
Yall got any "Firsts" with the truck ya got now?

Old 11-19-2002, 01:11 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

First real work truck I've ever owned. 2001 Dodge Ram 24 valve Cummins Turbo Diesel.
Old 11-20-2002, 11:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you use Kelly Blue Book or NADA, either one, you'll way overpay. I suggest Edmunds.com as GreginAlaska said. The price does sound a little high to me. There are a few dealers around the country, Melton's in Oklahoma for instance, that will sell Dodges for under invoice. However, if you like the truck I wouldn't be afraid to get pretty close to that price. I have a '98 with about 135,000 miles on it, and it's running great. I still get good fuel mileage, about 14mpg when pulling about 11,000 pounds, 19 empty. There are some quirks to be wary of, such as they are notorious for bad fuel lift pumps (about $150). And if you plan on pulling much, you should plan on sinking about $2000 (or more depending on who you go with) into the automatic. If you do that though, you can spend under another $1000 and make it a truck that will pull with any truck out there. Stock is pretty good also though, mine is still stock.
Oh, for price comparison, you might get on Turbo Diesel Register and look in the classifieds.
I don't think you'd be disappointed in the truck at all. Good luck

Randy
Old 11-20-2002, 02:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Randy J hit the nail on the head. If your going to buy a Dodge, spend the $35 it cost to join TDR; www.turbodieselregister.com, not only can those folks help you with upgrades, they have every thing needed to do upgrades, repairs etc. They also have a list of dealers that are TDR friendly. You can get on the site and look at everything they have, read post and whatnot but you can't post unless you join.

All those on TDR a knowledgible and if you post a question they will steer you in the right direction.

Sorry to sound like a salesman for them but if your buying the Cummins its the best $35 you'll spend.