Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 07-26-2011, 09:12 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
In many cases, it gets the person exactly what they deserve. Nothing offends me more than when I see the following when I get to a client's property and they are price shopping:expensive car, parking pass for the most expensive private golf course in the state, and the parking pass for a private school. In the mean time, they are acting like I am too expensive. Trying to chop a professional gets them Pablo or Ernesto.
I had 2 different people on the same street last year approach me because they wanted me to do work on their property. Both lived in 1M+ homes and acted like hotshots. I was too expensive though compared to the Latinos they went to pick up for the day and paid 8-10/hr. One of the people wanted me to work for 15/hr and the other person actually lied to me and said they used an lco when they actually picked up a guy from the labor pool and had him use their electric trimmers to trim a hedgerow of seagrape. Both of these people acted like big hotshots and they are probably in debt up to their eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-27-2011, 04:05 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

In debt? Not my kind of client anyway. I do not want people to be in debt with me as well. Fact is that profile I described in my previous post usually does not have a dollar to their name at the end of the month and maintaining their landscape to match their home and neighborhood is not a high priority. Correction. There are entire multimillion dollar neighborhoods I do not touch because every one there is like that. They can have the non English speaking yard crews who do not know how to groom zoysia properly or manage the health of the landscape.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-27-2011, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
In debt? Not my kind of client anyway. I do not want people to be in debt with me as well. Fact is that profile I described in my previous post usually does not have a dollar to their name at the end of the month and maintaining their landscape to match their home and neighborhood is not a high priority. Correction. There are entire multimillion dollar neighborhoods I do not touch because every one there is like that. They can have the non English speaking yard crews who do not know how to groom zoysia properly or manage the health of the landscape.
I agree. The best neighborhoods here are the ones that are gated bc nobody can just waltz in the neighborhood and start trying to lowball to get work. It's also usually easy to tell who really has the money bc the ones that do aren't coming off like they do and those are the ones that can and will pay for quality.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

So here is the update, homeowner is thrilled with the install and the fact that I over estimated and his cost were much more than expected. He has already stated that he will be calling in September to finish the back lawn which is a additional 14 pallets. Karma is good
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2011, 03:13 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You know a customer is a keeper if he does not get all bent out of shape over an overestimate. Things are not the same for an underestimate where you need to go back and ask for more money.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:01 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
You know a customer is a keeper if he does not get all bent out of shape over an overestimate. Things are not the same for an underestimate where you need to go back and ask for more money.
Yep, Ol boy was not upset at all that his total bill was less that the estimate and neither do I as long as he follows it up with that 14 pallets. It is a win win if you ask me.

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
Old 08-02-2011, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I read a bunch of guys talking about just giving the customer the total price.

What kind of crap is this?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If someone does not want a price for the whole job complete, they can buy their own grass and have Juan or Pablo put it down. I do not think you can get a price per brick laid from a mason or per board nailed up from a contractor. Either people want a pro doing the job or they want someone else. This all relates to lowballing, everyone calling themselves a "landscaper" when they do not know beans and fostering this mentality in one's clientele.

Old 08-03-2011, 08:51 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will P.C. View Post
I read a bunch of guys talking about just giving the customer the total price.

What kind of crap is this?
Umm.... the correct way of quoting. Why should the customer benefit from any wholesale discount you get on materials?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-03-2011, 12:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
If someone does not want a price for the whole job complete, they can buy their own grass and have Juan or Pablo put it down. I do not think you can get a price per brick laid from a mason or per board nailed up from a contractor. Either people want a pro doing the job or they want someone else. This all relates to lowballing, everyone calling themselves a "landscaper" when they do not know beans and fostering this mentality in one's clientele.
Green

I have a friend who is a mason. He gets paid by the Brick Laid. He has to lay so many bricks a day to earn a days pay. Doesn't matter how long it takes him.

But I catch your point about pricing work and agree in most cases. But in this case Mickey mismeasured and also quoted a Per Pallet price which is SOP here in Florida. I can show you bids from long time Sod Companies that quote the sq ft of Sod to be installed. This is done for Legal reasons if nothing else. It is hard to hit a guy for a free extra if the Sq Ft Numbers are correct. BTW a typical General Contractor trick

Mikey might not be the quickest wit but hopefully he is smart enough to know his mistake could or would get caught sooner or later.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.