Register free!

Old 07-26-2011, 11:21 PM
LawnSite Member

Not sure on the pressure. It's a pull-behind Fimco. Here's a link to what I have:

http://www.fimcoindustries.com/trail...r_economy.html

The first frost here hits usually mid October sometime....Maybe a week or two sooner sometimes. I am willing to wait till fall to spray, that's not an issue. I'll take a picture of some of those broadleafs and give you an idea, but I think they are these:

http://www.bigga.org.uk/about-us/mag...eed/01035.html

What would you suggest to spray in the fall then to kill the dandelions, broadleafs, and alfalfa?

Thanks much!
Old 07-28-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I'll also stress that you hold off till fall. That's for ANY of phenoxys and in any formulation. Some guys here are masters of the dance at keeping that stuff where it is supposed to be in hot weather. We're infested with high dollar vineyards on the west side of the mountains and more than a few homeowners have had their home insurance dinged for severely damaging grapes.

It will volatilize even 4 days after application. Happened to me when the weatherman botched the forecast. Sprayed, had three days of mid 70s and the fourth it was 102˚. Fortunately it was at my place and all I hurt was my veggies.

Nice thing about fall is a lot of the woody vegetation and trees are starting to shut down for the year and most gardens are done. It's just harder to cause problems then.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:48 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You have the proper product for fall spray of dandelions. I am not sure about alfalfa--never tried that. The summer annuals will be killed by frost. (spurge, purslane,pigweed, crabgrass). For the tougher weeds something like Gordons Trimec is a better choice. Or maybe Ortho Weed B Gone Max.
The sprayer looks like the boom is almost 24 inches high. A boom that is closer to the grass is less likely to drift--but you might need more nozzles.
Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That sprayer has two conventional flood jet nozzles mounted high. Recipe for drift. A better set up is AI fan tips set at 16" above the ground. Flood jets put out a wide range of spray particles, many of them are fine enough to blow off target. I spray in a region where 10 MPH is a calm day. I use AI 110 nozzles 20" apart and 16" above the ground.

Your LV 400 is best used when it is not going to go above the 80s within a week of application and the humidity goes down. To kill volunteer alfalfa, you will need more than 2,4-D. I am thinking something like PBI Gordon Super Trimec or T Zone. Both of those products have other herbicides in combination with the 2,4-D ester that will do a good job controlling a deep rooted leguminous plant.

Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power.
Benjamin Franklin Poor Richard's Almanac1738
Old 07-29-2011, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendoctor View Post
That sprayer has two conventional flood jet nozzles mounted high. Recipe for drift. A better set up is AI fan tips set at 16" above the ground. Flood jets put out a wide range of spray particles, many of them are fine enough to blow off target. I spray in a region where 10 MPH is a calm day. I use AI 110 nozzles 20" apart and 16" above the ground.

Your LV 400 is best used when it is not going to go above the 80s within a week of application and the humidity goes down. To kill volunteer alfalfa, you will need more than 2,4-D. I am thinking something like PBI Gordon Super Trimec or T Zone. Both of those products have other herbicides in combination with the 2,4-D ester that will do a good job controlling a deep rooted leguminous plant.
Green

The Ric-A-Green is a Walker Lawn Mower turned Spreader Sprayer. On the very front of the deck is a boom 8 inches off the ground and nozzles just over 8 inches apart with the same nozzle tips with one exception. Right at my 12V pump is a in line Drip irrigation fixed 20 PSI Regulator. This Regulator is right up against the pump so there is no place for a pressure build up. That way the pump cut off switch works as a instant shut off. I did have to adjust the pressure switch on the 12V pump to get it working smooth.

BTW the Pump is wired to a Horn button on forward control Handle. That Horn button must be held down to spray. I tried toggle switches etc and found the horn button works best when doing smaller or tight areas.

In designing this low boom I made a template of the 110 degree spray nozzle out of putting 20 lb bond paper together. I was then able to measure any reasonable boom height to spray width ratio easily before putting the boom together. I kept that template for next time I do a boom. Once I had the basic design build I tweaked it by spraying straight water on concrete to get the pattern adjusted perfect.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

BTTT on this one.
Old 08-03-2011, 01:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Sorry I've been MIA for a bit. Thanks for all the wonderful info....

Nik - so you think fall would be the best time then? How bout every year, just do it once in the fall? I've talked to some guys and they spray in the spring and fall.

RigglePLC - so keep the stuff that I have and spray that in the fall? maybe i'll try that and see how it does on the alfalfa and then go from there

greendoctor - i can move this boom up and down. i'm not sure how low it goes, but it's quite the range i think.

would you guys suggest i spray more than once a year? what about the annuals....those are obviously best to be killed in the spring right?

thanks again!
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
LawnSite Member

hello! i'm back. we had our first frost about three weeks ago. pretty early for these parts, but nonetheless, i was planning on spraying for the first time here in a week or so. everyone has stated that the amine 400 that i have is the way to go for dandelion and broadleaf control correct? also, i have a slight alfalfa problem....and you guys have said that this will prob not kill the alfalfa and would need something else. i would need something that will kill the alfalfa but not the grass.

that sprayer that i have, does anyone know if i can switch out the nozzles? sounds like mine would not be very good as far as drift is concerned. i just don't want to kill some trees that i have where i'm spraying.

one last thing...fertilizer. am i better off putting the winter fertilizer down that comes in the pellets? this is what i put down in the spring. there is a gordon's weed and feed spray out there, and wondering what everyone thought of that? i have about 2 acres right now to spread. i do have a riding lawnmower and could use a pull-behind spreader, but most of the ones i have seen open up on the pull-behind, so if you stop, there is no way to close it unless you jump off very quick and even then you end up spilling quite a bit.