Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-27-2011, 03:10 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Owning multiple businesses in addition to landscaping???

honestly The lawn business isnt all that anymore. 20 years ago when i got into the business it was like the best thing since sliced bread!... I make it sound like this business sucks but its just OK especially since the season is like over since most of the lawns are BURNT!
Only reason i dont get out of the business altogether is plowing makes me some good money .

Anyone own any other business' in addition to the landscaping company. I am thinking about opening a nice little sandwich joint....
if so what do you own?
Old 07-27-2011, 03:23 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A sandwich joint would be great. But those type of business can be self impossed slavery. Good luck to you!
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't own another business but I do trade options on the market. It's not for everyone because it can be very risky if you don't know what you're doing. That being said, if I can keep my track record going strong, I'll be selling out of this business next spring. No employees, no client issues, no weather to deal with, no equipment other than computers and an I pad and an I phone.
Old 07-27-2011, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scagguy View Post
I don't own another business but I do trade options on the market. It's not for everyone because it can be very risky if you don't know what you're doing. That being said, if I can keep my track record going strong, I'll be selling out of this business next spring. No employees, no client issues, no weather to deal with, no equipment other than computers and an I pad and an I phone.
Man that sounds awesome. I have been thinking about this, but I really don't know enough about it.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:10 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Me and my father do rental properties. It's a pretty good deal to own a landscaping company as well as a rental company because I can use my equipment on the houses as well as for my clients. Just today we cleaned up a back yard and trimmed the trees on a house I got back from a renter. We would have had to hire that out if I didn't have both companies.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PremierT&L View Post
Man that sounds awesome. I have been thinking about this, but I really don't know enough about it.
Neither does anyone. Read the book “The Black Swan” By N.N.Taleb or “A Random Walk”. I do math for a living, so I know nothing about Wall Street, but the math is unconcealed. There is not a single individual, computer or cluster of the two that can weave through the bounds of information that it would take to predict anything stock related. Look up the surveys of actual monkey’s throwing darts at the stock page in comparison to supposed “knowledgeable” traders. The difference in stock-picking ability between the two is negligible. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either trying to sell you a loaded mutual fund or destined to be another minnow of the late daytrader 90’s—by the way, check your tech classified wanted adds. They are full of day-trader failures.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:38 PM
LawnSite Member

I also have a carpet cleaning business, with a truckmount system and also have a portable unit as well.Three years ago I was approached by a lawn care client wanting to know if I offered janitorial services.I replied yes and picked up a sweet twice a week janitorial contract, which enabled me to go part time in my " real job". Best move that I made as it freed up time for scheduling carpet jobs and allowed me to pickup more lawn contracts.Now work less and make more!
Old 07-27-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuttin-to-the-Max View Post
honestly The lawn business isnt all that anymore. 20 years ago when i got into the business it was like the best thing since sliced bread!... I make it sound like this business sucks but its just OK especially since the season is like over since most of the lawns are BURNT!
Only reason i dont get out of the business altogether is plowing makes me some good money .

Anyone own any other business' in addition to the landscaping company. I am thinking about opening a nice little sandwich joint....
if so what do you own?
That's Funny, I got out of the sandwich business to get into lawn/landscaping. LOL
Old 07-27-2011, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndNature View Post
That's Funny, I got out of the sandwich business to get into lawn/landscaping. LOL
I was talking to a guy today who owns a Landscaping biz, limo/ baturlette service, and has over 6 party stores....
Old 07-27-2011, 10:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah but somehow I don't think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence,
y'all don't think I've set out in search of that pot of gold at the end of the rainbow,
unfortunately I just don't see it, you want the money, you have to do the work.

And believe me, a sandwich joint ain't no walk in the park either LOL!

It's just always like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2ndNature View Post
Hey you didn't per chance think this'd be easier, did you?
Yeah, it's all good if you did, I'm a little bit guilty myself.

Well, I'm back to the 9-5 daily lawn mowing grind, might not be the greatest thing,
might not be the fastest money, but at least I usually know what to expect.

Last edited by topsites; 07-27-2011 at 10:13 PM.