Register free!

Old 07-26-2011, 01:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Depends on the cities if the levels higher or lower for tap water but wells are all high here..
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2011, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
I have well water, is that y it worked for me? I didnt understand the last sentence, as i am not as educated as you about this! Thanks.
Posted via Mobile Device
Well water is usually has a very low level of dissolved Oxygen (Anoxic). Adding proportionally large amounts to a pond can cause real porblems for all aquatic organisms from bacteria up to fish, they all depend on ample supplies of oxygen.The other problem with UNTESTED well water is that you do not know the levels of heavy metals, hydrocarbons or other harmful pollutants that may be present. Many wells across the country have been shut down because of the presence of these contaminants.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by turner_landscaping View Post
Depends on the cities if the levels higher or lower for tap water but wells are all high here..
Posted via Mobile Device
I would opt to use tap water in that scenario. If it is buffered properly, the only change in pH should come from the normal diel variance.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:46 PM
LawnSite Member

It depends on the cities some are high some are not for tap water.. Wells are all high here though
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2011, 01:51 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
Install a UV filter and Water lillies. UV filters are fairly cheap and will keep the water clear. The lillie will keep the algea down. My pond is in full sun all day and is very healthy with almost zero maintenance. I don't even test my water and the Koi are very healthy and growing.
UV clarifiers are a waste of money when proper natural balances between plant and animal is maintained.

How do you know if your pond is healthy if you never test it? Clear water doesn't mean healthy water any more than Green Water means unhealthy water. Water quality imbalances do not always produce immediate change in fish behavior, some damage is cumulative and will evidence itself only when it is too late for a remedy.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
UV clarifiers are a waste of money when proper natural balances between plant and animal is maintained.

How do you know if your pond is healthy if you never test it? Clear water doesn't mean healthy water any more than Green Water means unhealthy water. Water quality imbalances do not always produce immediate change in fish behavior, some damage is cumulative and will evidence itself only when it is too late for a remedy.
I agree but as long as my water is clear, fish healthy, Water lillies green and blooming I have no need to test. Most people have no idea of the chemistry of water and start adding chemicals to correct one problem only to create another problem. On another note, if a pond is simply in place to hold water and not life, why not install UV to at least keep it clear?
Old 07-26-2011, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussellB View Post
I agree but as long as my water is clear, fish healthy, Water lillies green and blooming I have no need to test.What if your local water utility took the same approach - 'We'll start testing when people start getting ill and die.' Most people have no idea of the chemistry of water and start adding chemicals to correct one problem only to create another problem.And that is exactly why you should test! On another note, if a pond is simply in place to hold water and not life, why not install UV to at least keep it clear?All ponds support various levels of life, whether introduced by humans or by nature.UVs work, they just do not address the cause of the problem. They are a 'Band-Aid' approach.
Testing is the ONLY means of accurately determining the status of any mechanism, whether organic or mechanical. Your doctor runs tests, your auto mechanic runs diagnostics, foods are inspected and tested and on and on.
Old 07-27-2011, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tadpole View Post
Testing is the ONLY means of accurately determining the status of any mechanism, whether organic or mechanical. Your doctor runs tests, your auto mechanic runs diagnostics, foods are inspected and tested and on and on.
Good post. Nice analogy.