Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-23-2011, 06:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Well we got our truck out of the Chev Dealer shop this week. The total cost under warranty was $8000. They replaced all 8 injectors and both rails. And the cost of the loaner during that time was $1800 which they covered.
The 4x4 is the one we rented from enterprise. Truck was 4 years and 11 months old, so under warranty. It had 38,000 miles on it. So makes us wonder how often this kind of thing happens. We bought two of these a year apart. Sorta considering extended warranty. Anybody know what that would cost? So in the shop about 4 months.
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2011, 06:10 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

So can we assume you'll be trading it in on a Dodge or Ford this week?
Old 10-23-2011, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
So can we assume you'll be trading it in on a Dodge or Ford this week?
One expert I talked to says there rail are problematic so stay away from
engine that use them. No we won't be trading. We figure that chev will take care of us for awhile on this one, since we didn't smash face them on getting it fixed.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:22 PM
LawnSite Member

The 04.5+ trucks aren't that problematic about anything but trans cooler lines. Every once and a while you'll hear of a head gasket going bad on ones built before the last month of 05 to the first of 06. I've never heard of a rail "going bad" since there's no moving parts to it. I have an 06 myself as do a few of my friends and no real problems that weren't self inflicted :-).
Ext warranties arent a bad idea if your going to keep it a while. Avg injector job is $4500 and head gaskets are around $3k.
Old 10-23-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyjack View Post
Sounds like they don't know what it needs and are going to try injectors, cause like diesel tech said seems odd that all 8 fail at the same time and 06 isn't known for injector problems,
Could be a short in the harness , all years have that problem
Posted via Mobile Device
01-04 are notorious for injector problems,only the 04.5-05 have the harness rub problem
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieseltech View Post
Very unlikely all 8 injectors failed all at the same time...
Posted via Mobile Device
Agreed, unless the fuel filter was old and bad fuel was introduced
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDiepstra View Post
If that is what you are looking for you should go with a pre 2007.5 Dodge Cummins 5.9. Then it will last you longer than that easily with nothing but a few u joints, fuel filter once a year, and oil changes once a year. Oh and get a modified valve body and have the fluid changed every other year.
This truck will do the same if a good tech had looked at it first before these guys.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

I call b.s. I'm willing to wager the stealership was throwing parts at it. During the replacement of injectors and fuel rails they decided to replace the fuel filter. Joila! It runs. Luckily GM covered the cost.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
I call b.s. I'm willing to wager the stealership was throwing parts at it. During the replacement of injectors and fuel rails they decided to replace the fuel filter. Joila! It runs. Luckily GM covered the cost.
Doesn;'t the computer know when/if the fuel filter was changed? On a newer chev if you don't change oil and stuff it keeps telling you every time you start the truck. They had the truck 4 months and they didn't dig into it until they got the 8 parts then it took one week.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:06 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Doesn;'t the computer know when/if the fuel filter was changed? On a newer chev if you don't change oil and stuff it keeps telling you every time you start the truck. They had the truck 4 months and they didn't dig into it until they got the 8 parts then it took one week.
The computer's recommendation on filter and fluid change is based on driving style (the average throttle position sensor reading and engine load) and mileage. Once the recommendation is set on the DIC (driver information center) it's up to the driver to reset it. The computer does not know if the fluid or filter was actually changed.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:47 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Well we got our truck out of the Chev Dealer shop this week. The total cost under warranty was $8000. They replaced all 8 injectors and both rails. And the cost of the loaner during that time was $1800 which they covered.
The 4x4 is the one we rented from enterprise. Truck was 4 years and 11 months old, so under warranty. It had 38,000 miles on it. So makes us wonder how often this kind of thing happens. We bought two of these a year apart. Sorta considering extended warranty. Anybody know what that would cost? So in the shop about 4 months.
I'm surprised you didn't rent a truck from Longhorn Truck Rentals. I hate Longhorn but it's the only place in town you can rent a truck for towing trailers. Plus the trucks usually have a little wear so you don't have to worry about your guys causing a little wear you get billed for.

The Duramax 6.6 is better then Fords 6.0 & 6.4 but I'll prefer my 02' 2500 Ram, 06' Ram 2500, and 09' Ram 3500 with 5.9 24 valve, 5.9 CR, and 6.7 (DPF Deleted). There are actually companies like Destroked who specialize in yanking our the engines in Fords and replacing them with Cummins engines. There are no companies that specialize in putting Fords 6.0, 6.4, or GM's 6.6 in other trucks.

If you go to the track or sled pulls the Cummins powered trucks rule the roost followed by Duramax's. Ford is a rarity being on the podium at any event unless it's the Special Olympics. The ultimate insult is Ford using the Cummins 6.7 in their F650 & F750.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I'm surprised you didn't rent a truck from Longhorn Truck Rentals. I hate Longhorn but it's the only place in town you can rent a truck for towing trailers. Plus the trucks usually have a little wear so you don't have to worry about your guys causing a little wear you get billed for.

The Duramax 6.6 is better then Fords 6.0 & 6.4 but I'll prefer my 02' 2500 Ram, 06' Ram 2500, and 09' Ram 3500 with 5.9 24 valve, 5.9 CR, and 6.7 (DPF Deleted). There are actually companies like Destroked who specialize in yanking our the engines in Fords and replacing them with Cummins engines. There are no companies that specialize in putting Fords 6.0, 6.4, or GM's 6.6 in other trucks.

If you go to the track or sled pulls the Cummins powered trucks rule the roost followed by Duramax's. Ford is a rarity being on the podium at any event unless it's the Special Olympics. The ultimate insult is Ford using the Cummins 6.7 in their F650 & F750.
Chev told us to got to enterprise and the cost was $1000 a month not the amount I posted. And we did bang up the brand new unit but took the insurance and it was paid by warranty.