Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The ole diesel chev wouldn't start at the shop...pretty good place to fail. It was late in evening so I left a backup to switch out. Did google thing and realized I didn't try to prime it. I pumped it up about 50 times and unit fired up. Filter had gone 13K so got it changed at chev and they said all good to go. I wonder if any codes get posted when it loses prime?
Old 05-22-2013, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Member

I don't think it does. 10k is my absolute max on the fuel filter. if it does it again fairly quickly the filter head may be cracked or need to be rebuilt.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name Taken View Post
I don't think it does. 10k is my absolute max on the fuel filter. if it does it again fairly quickly the filter head may be cracked or need to be rebuilt.
Fuel filter and oil filter at the same intervals. Always. The fuel filtration is more important then the oil filtration. Seriously. Im a cummins driver but the cr engines are very similar in delivery system. The smallest amounts of mold forms in the fuel and when under high pressures is like sandblasting the injectors. They are all great engines but the fuel filter change outs are small insurance payments for long term use. Fass and airdogs are great alternatives to adding filtration as well.
Old 05-23-2013, 09:56 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name Taken View Post
Is the rebuild difficult? yes I just have to get on top of our truck maintenance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo c View Post
Fuel filter and oil filter at the same intervals. Always. The fuel filtration is more important then the oil filtration. Seriously. Im a cummins driver but the cr engines are very similar in delivery system. The smallest amounts of mold forms in the fuel and when under high pressures is like sandblasting the injectors. They are all great engines but the fuel filter change outs are small insurance payments for long term use. Fass and airdogs are great alternatives to adding filtration as well.
I did start using an addative from schaeffer...but will chg filter at 10K which is about a year use for us
Old 05-23-2013, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post
Is the rebuild difficult? yes I just have to get on top of our truck maintenance.

I did start using an addative from schaeffer...but will chg filter at 10K which is about a year use for us
Personally for such a low use operation. I would use a calendar as well. 6-8 months max. Molds love low use diesel ops. Anyone know what lubricity additives have good mold killers too ?
Old 05-23-2013, 11:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed2hess View Post

I don't believe it's too hard. Stanadyne is GM's recommended additive ; I use Opti-Lube as it's been tested to excel in additive testing
Old 05-25-2013, 06:21 PM
LawnSite Member

wow some of you only do 10k miles a year. last year I did 30k and so far this year I have done 15k. I haven't changed me fuel filter in 30k + miles. had new injectors put in at 110k. I have a 2002 GMC 2500hd. I out pull dodges all day long.

the biggest problem with GMC/Chevy in the diesels is they did put in a lift pump like ford and dodge. you put a lift pump in and your injectors will last a lot longer. if your looking for parts or have questions about your trucks look up dx2parts.com. they have a lot of parts and will help you out with almost anything you need. when I had my new injectors put in , I paid 4200 total. dx2 parts is in Washington state but able to ship anywhere in USA. give them a call. number on website-
Old 05-25-2013, 07:05 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedidthatllc View Post
wow some of you only do 10k miles a year. last year I did 30k and so far this year I have done 15k. I haven't changed me fuel filter in 30k + miles. had new injectors put in at 110k. I have a 2002 GMC 2500hd. I out pull dodges all day long.

the biggest problem with GMC/Chevy in the diesels is they did put in a lift pump like ford and dodge. you put a lift pump in and your injectors will last a lot longer. if your looking for parts or have questions about your trucks look up dx2parts.com. they have a lot of parts and will help you out with almost anything you need. when I had my new injectors put in , I paid 4200 total. dx2 parts is in Washington state but able to ship anywhere in USA. give them a call. number on website-
A FASS or Airdog is money well spent to help your injectors. My 02' Ram had 140K on the injectors and still worked great when I swapped in a set of F1 90 HP injectors for less then a grand. Those OEM Dmax injectors are crazy expensive. If I'm going to spend $4K I'd better get some serious HP out of the deal.

The Cummins is the most popular engine for swapping into other trucks and that's not likely to change. You will see the Cummins not only under the hood of the Rams but also the Ford F650 & F750 and other trucks as well. There are multiple companies that specialize in making kits for installing the Cummins in the Ford trucks that came with the 6.0 & 6.4 and anything else as well.

The Dmax isn't a bad engine but it's not as popular as the Cummins and internally the pistons, rods, crank, and other parts can't handle the stress or aftermarket power the Cummins will.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-25-2013, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
A FASS or Airdog is money well spent to help your injectors. My 02' Ram had 140K on the injectors and still worked great when I swapped in a set of F1 90 HP injectors for less then a grand. Those OEM Dmax injectors are crazy expensive. If I'm going to spend $4K I'd better get some serious HP out of the deal.

The Cummins is the most popular engine for swapping into other trucks and that's not likely to change. You will see the Cummins not only under the hood of the Rams but also the Ford F650 & F750 and other trucks as well. There are multiple companies that specialize in making kits for installing the Cummins in the Ford trucks that came with the 6.0 & 6.4 and anything else as well.

The Dmax isn't a bad engine but it's not as popular as the Cummins and internally the pistons, rods, crank, and other parts can't handle the stress or aftermarket power the Cummins will.
the injectors I put in aren't stock. DLS wanted 249 per injector and I paid 125 for 75 HP gain injector. still haven't put it n the lifter pump but I get about 25 mpg towing everyday.
Old 05-25-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedidthatllc View Post
the injectors I put in aren't stock. DLS wanted 249 per injector and I paid 125 for 75 HP gain injector. still haven't put it n the lifter pump but I get about 25 mpg towing everyday.
I'm going to have to BS a bit for claiming 25 MPG towing. If you had a short box 4x2 regular cab 2500 unloaded doing about 45 MPH with the wind at your back every day you might hit 25 MPG's. If your were able to hit 25 MPG towing even a light load that would mean you could get at least 28 MPG unloaded and that a crazy number unless you getting some help from propane injection.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/