Register free!

Old 07-28-2011, 08:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

DanaMac:

Just out of curiosity, is the city's water plant at the top of the highest mountain? Our towers here range about 100-150Ft which is enough to give the homeowner about 40-50psi static (depending on location from the tower) I've seen it higher & lower but not by much.

You're right about low pressure being an issue... Specially on city and the installer puts 12-15 mist heads with 30-40 PSI dynamic through a 1" line.

I always get amazed when I see pictures of all the tiny little manifolds, 1" valves, etc. Most of the stuff I work on is from 1.5" & up, including residential. Although I'm seeing some of the smaller stuff now that I'm picking up zero lot line new construction residential properties.

Anyway, thanks for the education... knowledge is power!
Old 07-28-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

how is any PRV a cross-connection?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
I always get amazed when I see pictures of all the tiny little manifolds, 1" valves, etc. Most of the stuff I work on is from 1.5" & up, including residential.
I find that hard to believe. I've worked on systems down there for relatives and all have been 1" or less.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wet_Boots View Post
how is any PRV a cross-connection?
I'm not saying it is but when they first starting enforcing it here you couldn't have a quick coupler, boiler drain or a tee before the backflow. There was no way to drain the upstream side unless you used a Leary bicycle pump.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:59 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I'm not saying it is but when they first starting enforcing it here you couldn't have a quick coupler, boiler drain or a tee before the backflow. There was no way to drain the upstream side unless you used a Leary bicycle pump.
That whole line of thinking is blown out of the water by the existence of testcocks on backflow preventers, which could be used in a cross-connection sort of way.

For my money, it isn't about preventing deliberate tampering or cross-connecting, it's about preventing backflow through the line of water flow.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:06 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I agree and why I think underground DCVA's should be outlawed. The testcocks are the biggest threat.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I was on site when the water co had to shut off a section of a neighborhood because of a water main break. The suction was unbelievable and I heard one of the guys say "I hope the backflows are working"
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck_wheat View Post
DanaMac:

Just out of curiosity, is the city's water plant at the top of the highest mountain? Our towers here range about 100-150Ft which is enough to give the homeowner about 40-50psi static (depending on location from the tower) I've seen it higher & lower but not by much.
No, the water plant is not at the top of the mountain, but a lot of the water source is. Two reservoirs up on Pikes Peak help feed the supply. Not sure of their elevation, but our city average is probably about 6300' or so, with elevation change throughout town. I live at 7000',
Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
So, does the water co mandate prv's before the meter? I'm pretty sure that's a cross connection. What about cheap skate builders that omit them and the one's that quit working?
Yes, I believe PRVs are required before the meter now. Older parts of now do not have them. I once installed a system that had the PRV after the meter, and the meter had a plastic bottom. When done with install and testing the system the bottom of the meter blew out and was flooding the basement. System was on about 65 PSI, but I still blame the fast closing DV valves.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:02 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I doubt any water meter is rated over 100 psi. Sue them.