Register free!

Old 07-28-2011, 11:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

We successfully bothered the purveyor for installing a prv before the meter and made them remove it so we could control our client's whole house/irrigation system. It can be done.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:00 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

You don't even need irrigation in the pnw. It's a waste of water.
Old 07-29-2011, 12:01 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Leary View Post
We successfully bothered the purveyor for installing a prv before the meter and made them remove it so we could control our client's whole house/irrigation system. It can be done.
I forget, are your meters in basements/crawlspace/utility rooms like we have here, or out in the yard in a pit? Couldn't you adjust the pressure up at that PRV and then add another for the house if needed?
Old 07-29-2011, 12:36 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

All meters here are outside in pits

Typically here there is a PRV at the house, but not at the meter

What irritates me is that the water district should be regulating this themselves. In this particular job- when I first arrived there was a ton of fresh water flowing from the water meter box ( draining down a ravine), found out it was prior to the meter so I called up the WD and they came out the next day and repaired it.. I mean they should know this area is 165 right????

The 165 psi is accurate and this was on a house... even your thin wall class 200 PSI pipe can handle this pressure.. For a minute
Just like boots and dana say , it's all about elevation and the northwest for sure has some hills.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irritation View Post
I find that hard to believe. I've worked on systems down there for relatives and all have been 1" or less.
Don't think I ever said I've never seen them.

Your relatives must be on city water & residential. I work mostly in premier communities where the residents operate pumps for irrigation. I'm not sure what I'd call people who put in a pump & then run 1" valves & lines.

The normal is a 1.5 - 2 HP Gould. 1.5 -2 " imltake (depending on age) and 1.5" out to the 1.5' FIMCO or K-Rain indexing valves. Source is shallow well, lake or canal... not much lift & a boatload of head. (I don't see too many digital controlers & electric valve manifolds on residential here, that is in my "sphere of operations").

Our LCO subsidiary started in a "0" lot line community about 4 years old. All the HO irrigation is on city water with 1" pipe, cheapo combo valve & K Rain mechanical controlers & a X zone Fimco Hydroindexing valve.

These are the most difficult to manage because whoever installed them made some optimistic calculations. (no sir, I can't just add another mist head, there's not enough water for the mist heads you already have).

I have also seen some of them on older properties E of 95.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:25 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
All meters here are outside in pits.

The 165 psi is accurate and this was on a house... even your thin wall class 200 PSI pipe can handle this pressure.. For a minute
Just like boots and dana say , it's all about elevation and the northwest for sure has some hills.
Here also.. no PRV necesary but they are talking about installin PVB's just in case there is the remote possibility of sucking the potable water from the house back into the water supply... By the way the water meters in several cities have check valves buit into them.

<Why use CL200 when you can save 27cts a stick on CL160? I mean the specs on those things are conservative right? So a couple more PSI shouldn't make a difference >

I only use SCD 40 even if I'm only 6' above sea level.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:24 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

we only use sched 40 too

All new houses here have a check valve built into the water meter unit
Old 07-29-2011, 02:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchgo View Post
we only use sched 40 too

All new houses here have a check valve built into the water meter unit
The WA here has been installing check valves on new meters here for a while now. There have been some problems with houses that don't have thermal Expantion tanks on the water supply. The water heater blows off on high pressure because the presure is now contained within the house.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2011, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

ever notice how many water heater backflows are junk when doing a tie in?
Old 07-29-2011, 03:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I stay away from water heaters. I only herd turds; there's more money in it and sometimes peanuts & corn off the cobb.