Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-30-2012, 04:25 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I was in a local Burger King and overheard a guy talking about the two 3100's he had recently bought. (He didn't actually say whether or not he bought them new....just that they were "fairly new").

He was talking to another landscaper, and said both were leaking at the rear main seal. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

He did say that he had owned quite a few Kubota machines of one type or another, and was pleased with all but these two 3100's.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by StanWilhite View Post
I was in a local Burger King and overheard a guy talking about the two 3100's he had recently bought. (He didn't actually say whether or not he bought them new....just that they were "fairly new").

He was talking to another landscaper, and said both were leaking at the rear main seal. Needless to say, he wasn't happy.

He did say that he had owned quite a few Kubota machines of one type or another, and was pleased with all but these two 3100's.
Stan,
I think you may be mixing up the Kubota 331's number with the Ferris 3100?
Old 07-30-2012, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Stan,
I think you may be mixing up the Kubota 331's number with the Ferris 3100?
Man.....you're exactly right! I'm thinking one thing and typing another. I meant to say "331 Kubota".
Old 10-23-2012, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I'm going to take my 331 to my dealer soon along with this thread printed out and ask they cover what is clearly a widespread defect. If they refuse I guess I'll be out $600 or so for repairs on a diesel motor with less than 300 hours on it. (That's about $2 for each hour on the engine - Wow!)

The Dealer has told me that there is a kit to fit this. The "kit" as he explains has a harder seal and a beefier holder with bolts that won't "stretch". This kit will make my seal the same as being shipped on new models.

I do trust they will do the right thing as they have done so before. Anything can go wrong on an assembly line and the manufacturer should not be condemned for a small defect like this but rather judged by how they rectify it with customers. I'll let y'all know how it turns out.
Attached Images

Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM
LawnSite Member

My dealer replaced the rear seal and the parts were in fact different than stock. Much different. A new sleeve assembly ships with the seal replacement kit among other variances. The dealer service tech did a great job and I have no complaints with their quality of work nor their shop rates but...

...Kubota did not cover ANY of the cost, parts nor labor. About $700 all said and done for a repair on a current model with less than 300 hours. I had hoped for some participation from Kubota since this IS a widespread known issue.

Oh well, I guess I have been spoiled by my Mitsubishi tractor which now has about 2500 hours on it. It's thirty-one years old and has never been in a shop. Solid as the day I bought it and does not leak a drop!
Old 03-16-2013, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the update. Sorry that they didn't take care of you like they should have. This will definitely keep me from ever buying one of their machines now.

Kubota- get your act together. You will lose a lot of potential future customers like this.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:15 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridin' Green View Post
Thanks for the update. Sorry that they didn't take care of you like they should have. This will definitely keep me from ever buying one of their machines now.

Kubota- get your act together. You will lose a lot of potential future customers like this.
Ridin', I'm with you here. Unless there are some facts we aren't aware of that are "game changers", it appears that Kubota should have covered this, especially since it doesn't appear to be an isolated incident.

I've actually considered buying a Kubota, but this incident definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Stan
Old 03-16-2013, 11:25 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Ridin', I'm with you here. Unless there are some facts we aren't aware of that are "game changers", it appears that Kubota should have covered this, especially since it doesn't appear to be an isolated incident.

I've actually considered buying a Kubota, but this incident definitely leaves a bad taste in my mouth.
Stan
Buddy who has ran kubotas since the early 2000's is switching them to exmark gas. Less then 6 months 300 hrs his zd331 ran out of oil (yes he checked it that morning) and kubota wouldn't cover it as it was out of oil. No external leaks either.

His other 2 zd331's had the rear main seals done. Also he was eating a gearbox or two a year. All 2008 or newer. All under 1500hrs.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-16-2013, 11:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

you guys and your horror stories, never had anything but one rear main seal after 1000hrs. they are stout machines. all our dealings with kubota, they even warrantied out of date items for us. i will always question true maint kept in most of these instances.
Old 03-17-2013, 01:25 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Stan
I'm obviously a Deere guy, but I have always thought highly of Kubota and have even considered buying one of their mowers. Not now. It is't just this site, I have found similar stories by googling. Too many to be ignored or a fluke.