Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-29-2011, 12:45 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

gps systems have come down in costs quite a bit...we use tracking features and mapping (real time) and have each truck and all of our ztr's fitted with it...we use it primarily for keeping track of our crews times in the field...but will most definately be helpful if ever stolen....i feel your pain as we too had a big loss due to theft back in 06.....been using the gps ever since..we also have car alarms on each truck and in each trailer...24hr video on 4 cameras recording onto a dvr as well as a infra red perimeter detection system that will call my cellphone if tripped...can also watch cams from phone...i admit its a little overkill maybe but after youve been hit you tend to get a little carried away...lol
Old 08-01-2011, 02:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR-G View Post
gps systems have come down in costs quite a bit...we use tracking features and mapping (real time) and have each truck and all of our ztr's fitted with it...we use it primarily for keeping track of our crews times in the field...but will most definately be helpful if ever stolen....i feel your pain as we too had a big loss due to theft back in 06.....been using the gps ever since..we also have car alarms on each truck and in each trailer...24hr video on 4 cameras recording onto a dvr as well as a infra red perimeter detection system that will call my cellphone if tripped...can also watch cams from phone...i admit its a little overkill maybe but after youve been hit you tend to get a little carried away...lol
I was going to say the samething! LoJack could be a good investment! I don't think it is overkill at all, I think you are smart!

Sorry to hear about your losses, nothing on this Earth pisses me off worse than a scumbag who steals a working mans equipment! Theft is out of control and it is getting worse, it is time for lawmakers to start making stiffer penalties. Obviously you were up against a pro and most likely you are not going to recover it, not to many people going through that hassle to steal equipment, they knew what they were doing! I would certainly look into LoJack or some other security devise! I hope everything works out for you!

LoJack Commercial.
http://www.lojack.com/fleet/Pages/fleet-commercial.aspx
Echo SRM-210
Stihl BR-600 Magnum
Stihl FS90
AMSOIL In Everything I own

Last edited by Capemay Eagle; 08-01-2011 at 02:07 PM.
Old 08-14-2011, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Member

Statefarm inland marine policy ...FULL REPLACEMENT (not depreciated)for like 12 bux per thousand insured ....250 deductible .......Best insurance company on the planet ...fast payers and they have offices i can walk into to actually talk to someone face to face ...i will never use an insurance company that i cant have a personal relationship with ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Landscape Services View Post
Sorry to hear that. I also got my equipment stolen back in April. Who do you have insurance with? Mine won't provide replacement coverage. Every company I've spoken with depreciates all equipment therefore anything older than a few years they won't pay enough for much help.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:45 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Sorry to hear about your equipment getting stolen. Stiffer penalties? I would say good luck making it off my property without catching a small speeding piece of lead...
Old 08-25-2011, 05:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by topsites View Post
Lessons learned...

All that security, and you didn't write down the serial numbers of your equipment,
now don't get me wrong but if you were to find one or more of these, how would
you prove they were truly yours?
Legally speaking, there is nothing you can do unless you can prove it's yours.
Looks to be yours and appearances alone may not be enough.
Topsite, not sure where you got that, but we're on top of our equipment inventory. Serial numbers have all been entered into NCIC on the off chance they are recovered. We have every receipt, repair log, and serial number for any equipment over $250.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Member

Update...........

Well, a lot has happened these past few weeks. First of all, the truck was recovered on the east side of Cleveland. A few dents and dings more than when it left, but otherwise ok. These guys were smart, took the battery out of the cell phone (knew we could ping it), took the fuel card but didn't dare use it, and only took the front plate off (not unusual to see vehicles without front plates). Furthermore, they left my FOP plate on the back (I'm a cop) probably knowing that most cops don't run other FOP plates.

While initially reassured by the insurance company, we've begun a fight to get some of what we lost replaced. They decided to depreciate all of the scheduled equipment and I've spent countless hours proving what shape my equipement was in. We're making some headway, though.

Baker Vehicle Systems in Macedonia, Ohio!!!! Can't say enough about this company. I contacted the sales guy, Ron Wolfe, and told him what happened. He lended us two brand new 2011 Hustler Super Z's, no questions asked and free of charge, to get through the hump. Without them, we would have been in some deep do-do...

Ironically, we have been talking about getting GPS tracking units for each of our three trucks. We signed the contract for 3 years through Advantrack the day before our shop was broken in to, receiving them four days later. Talk about a day late and a few thousand dollars short. It's installed and is AWESOME. Check them out

http://www.shadowtrackerlive.com/Home.aspx

I've been on Craigslist, Ohio Farm & Dairy, Ebay, Equipment Trader, etc. nearly every day. No luck on the equipment. I'm most pissed off about my new aerator and two snow blowers because they weren't on our policy yet. Live and learn, I guess.

Thanks for all your well wishes!
Old 08-31-2011, 02:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Hopefully you find out who did this!
Toro
STHIL
Shindawia
Western Salt Spreader
Billy Goat
Tomahawk

Minnesota certified pesticide applicator
NOT MY PRESIDENT!

Brotherhood 2000 plus fourteen
"The real lawn care Jesus"
Old 09-18-2011, 07:44 PM
LawnSite Member

kinda crazy you got hit after you signed up with Advantrack, but before you got the equipment....
call me crazy, but it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they have had any other of the same situation happen before....
seems like a good targeting too to hit someone whos spending on some security....
22" John Deere Commercial Push
Echo SRM-230 Trimmer
Stihl BG66 handheld Blower
Old 09-23-2011, 08:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Yea that happened to me also.

My stuff stolen the day before a security install.

Turns out it was a guy who worked at the store.

Hope you get your stuff back and the thief gets killed dead.
Old 10-24-2011, 10:21 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegendaryLawns View Post
kinda crazy you got hit after you signed up with Advantrack, but before you got the equipment....
call me crazy, but it wouldnt hurt to ask them if they have had any other of the same situation happen before....
seems like a good targeting too to hit someone whos spending on some security....
Nothing other than coincidence, I'm afraid. We had the GPS units shipped to our home, which is a different location than our shop. I just wish we had pulled the trigger last year and put them in then. We absolutely love them now. I even caught an employee freelancing with my equipment knowing full well that I had installed the units in the trucks!

Tags
auction , classifieds , stolen , thief , thieves