Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-24-2011, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Latest Update

Well, we got the call from our insurance company, State Auto, to tell us they were not renewing our policy. Just wonderful, right? When all was said and done, we had about $40,000 in losses and were reimbursed about $31,000. We will have to eat approx $9k, struggle to find a new insurance company, and pay out the nose for higher rates.

What companies do you guys use and give me your impressions, please?

B
Old 10-24-2011, 08:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

typical insurance company....you buy insurance for situations like stolen equipment...but heaven forbid if you actually make a claim. They fight tooth and nail to not pay you for your claim and then they drop you after the claim.
Old 01-30-2012, 06:50 AM
LawnSite Member

Theres a ad on Columbus C.L stolen equipment.. i posted it on here., We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever. I have been thinking of some low jack type system. We got robed at a garden show during tear down last year. $800 cash laptop with everything on it, and my lead book from the show 30 leads for hardscapes... Killed my year, it was another company that did it..
Old 02-07-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by andersontl2 View Post
Hate to hear about your stuff, but I would also keep an eye on the pawn shops...If they stole all that stuff and they are smart (God I hope their not) then they won't be selling that stuff around town. Good Luck and hope you get them, kick em in the face for me when you find out who did it!
Why just kick them in the face, why stop there ?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:17 PM
LawnSite Member

I have had numerous trucks and trailers stolen over the years. 5 trucks to be exact. We have gotten 3 of them back thanks to gps. I urge all of you guys to consider getting gps. We us fleetmatics. Awesome system as well. System will notify you of start-up on your smart phone. The last guy who thought it would be fun to take one of my trucks was apprehended within an 1 hour.
'05 chevy 2500 pu
'06 chevy w4500
'07 chevy w4500
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-450 dump
'08 ford f-250 pu
'08 chevy avalanche
'09 chevy 3500
'97 & '10 new holland skid steers
'07 toro dingo
19 - scag tiger cubs,hydro walkbehinds
1 - turfco 3000
4 - Mclaren edgers
14 - shinandiawa S.trimmers
18 - tanaka bp blowers
38 - tanaka hedge/pole trimmers
32 - toro snow blowers
6 - snowex tailgate/vbox salt spreaders
Old 09-19-2012, 06:22 PM
LawnSite Member

cell phone idea/ dog tracking idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by All_Toro_4ME View Post
What's messed up about a situation like this is theft is actually a "strike" against you in the eyes of the insurance company. Only thing that doesn't count as a "strike" are acts of God. It blows but I'd check with every pawn shop in your area within like 50-75 mile radius. Dewalt has a unit out now called the MobileLock you might look into. It certainly wont prevent them from stealing your stuff but it will definately help you find it.

www.dewaltmobilelock.com
WEll I was thinking about the idea of hiding a cell phone somewhere in/under trailer/ mower, or /truck , and if stolen you can trace with some sort of gps locator program"

Another possible solution:
How about those tags they use on dogs or other animals? We should be able to conceal it in trailer or mower? I do not have exact solution, just pondering.

Does this make sense?
Old 09-21-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic lawn View Post
WEll I was thinking about the idea of hiding a cell phone somewhere in/under trailer/ mower, or /truck , and if stolen you can trace with some sort of gps locator program"

How about those tags they use on dogs or other animals? We should be able to conceal it in trailer or mower? I do not have exact solution, just pondering.

Does this make sense?
Maybe just tie a long string to the truck, then when you notice it's gone, just follow the string from your shop to the crook!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:02 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by basic lawn View Post

Does this make sense?
This actually sounds like a brilliant idea. Not so much as a tracer as it is something to identify the EQ.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

[QUOTE=Trueblue108;4109985]Through steel security doors, dead bolts, padlocked overhead doors, some jerks made off with $61,000 in equipment. Truck, trailer, two Z's, aerator, 2-cycle equipment, and tons of other stuff, gone overnight. Other than Craigslist, Ebay, Equipment Trader, and Ohio Farm and Dairy, does anyone know of any on-line classified or auction sites in NE Ohio where I can look for my stuff?

Brian[/QUOTE
Local pawn shops.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Member

Glad to hear you got the part that you needed the most back...thieves got me in June and it wasn't a full time machine, just a spare, but still sucks when you lose another one the next week and need what isn't there...

See below on my insurance experience...

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneLineAtATime View Post
We have State Farm you pick the price to cover. All mine is covered for more than its worth.. We love our insurance, laid back policy ever.
That's how my Nationwide policy was, pick the price to cover. But when something happens and they total it, I get 3800 for a mower that I had 8K in coverage on.

Check the fine print in your policy, and if it is actually covering whatever value you put on it no matter what, I'm switching first thing Monday morning. I looked at a couple other companies and they all depreciate everything to actual cash value.

'07 Dodge C/C; quadcab flatbed; Western 8.5 Pro;

'04 Dodge quadcab; Western 8.5 Pro Plus; Western wings; Boss TGS 1100; Ebling if I hit the lottery!

'06 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '11 Cub Cadet M48 Tank; '10 Cub Cadet H1748 walkbehind; Stihl handhelds

'10 Timberwolf TW-5; '08 Kawasaki Teryx; for the firewood...conveyor in the works

Tags
auction , classifieds , stolen , thief , thieves