Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-29-2011, 10:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandsaping R.I. View Post
I would not say "hacked them up" I take offense to that! It takes skill to trim a jap maple like that, 10 years of pruning. Most people cant trim like that. I was unaware there was a rule book for trimming jap maples or trimming in general. Doing what I do to shrubs and trees has made me very successful , with many happy customers.The tree has never been stressed not once in 10 years. The customer did not request me to trim it that way . I felt that they would have to be trimmed that way to fit into the landscape.
The Jap Maples looks great that way!, and yes, they fit into the landscape better trimmed that way! That is a work of art that you did! As long as the homeowner is happy with the way they look now, then that's all that matters!

Don't pay any attention to what they say on here. Maybe some are jealous they can't trim that way.

I have seen Jap Maples trimmed that way in this area. Those trees can take a lot of trimming and it doesn't hurt them at all. Those trees are NOT destroyed like one member said.

Keep up the good work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
In fact there is a rule book for trimming, for trees ISA International Society of Arborculture has a lot to say. The American National Standards Institute is referred to as the ANSI 3000 standards is what all professional tree trimmers adhere to.

Here in Az there are rules for trimming shrubs and there probably are in your state too. Do yourself and the industry a favor and educate yourself. Just because you have been doing it this way or that for 10 years and nothing has died does not make it right. I would say these trees have survived in spite of you not because of your trimming.
LMAO. A rule book for trimming.LOL. Never heard of that before. I guess I'm in trouble for trimming trees the wrong way too.

There are not any rules for trimming shrubs in this area. LOL

You need to quit bashing him by saying that he needs to educate himself. That's the problem with this site, Too many people like to bash other members. IT NEEDS TO STOP!
Old 07-29-2011, 11:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

They actually look great. I think. Did the customer request them to be trimmed that way? Where we are located a lot of customers actually like having their jap mapes trimmed and formed to look like bushes and also the traditional way. Like a tree.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

So? What hedge trimmer did you use?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

The Burning Bushes look great and i think the Japanese maples look good in that landscaping but would probably not trim them that way. Do you have any pictures of the whole property to see how you spent 2 months on that property.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:22 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman24949 View Post
The Burning Bushes look great and i think the Japanese maples look good in that landscaping but would probably not trim them that way. Do you have any pictures of the whole property to see how you spent 2 months on that property.
Hahahah i was wondering the same thing!
Old 07-29-2011, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Nice work! If you really took the time to clean up your cuts on the trees that's great. The problem with shearing them is that the stub of any trimmed branch will die out back to the first lateral coming off of it and will become susceptible to infection and weaken the tree in general. Taking that cut back to the first lateral allows for proper recovery from the cut and no dead wood left on the tree. Technically even the shrubs would benefit from this but it is not common practice due to cost and time constraints.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawnman24949 View Post
I will upload more pics of the property to my computer. Then post them on the forum. It took 2 months to fix all the mistakes from the previous landscape company. The property is 6 acres situated on the ocean. The rhodys on the property alone took 1 week to trim and repair (bad cuts,dead wood,crossed overlapping branches, etc.....) That it is 8 to 10 hours a day of trimming . Like I said the trees , shrubs and beds were neglected for 3 or 4 years.
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by StihlMechanic View Post
So? What hedge trimmer did you use?
On the the jap maples I used a Redmax SRTZ2401 Hedge Trimmer (articulated) NOT CHEAP!!! and Felco #2 Hand Pruners. I also used a Little Wonder single sided gas trimmer and a small Shindaiwa double sided hedge trimmer on the property also.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Have the homeowners seen it yet?
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Awesome work on all of it. I have seen jap maples trimmed with hedge trimmers, but they were not that tight. Impressive talent.