Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

on behalf of the chipmunks, voles, field mice and other rodents; we extend our thanks during these extreme hot days for proving us with this finely manicured beach umbrella to help keep us cool. cheers!
Old 07-30-2011, 04:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Here is another couple of pictures of the "ruined specimen jap maple trees" before trimming in the first week of June.

Old 07-30-2011, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Poor trees. RIP poor little maples.
2010 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
2009 Equipment/Stripe thread Here
Hurricane blower video Here
Old 07-31-2011, 12:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is unreal, he did no damage at all to those maples. They look different yes, so do espaliered trees. Tell me what damage did he do? If left alone for a couple of years they will look as they did. You did a great job, keep it up. Lets see some of the great work you all do. Oh no it's not in the BOOK, you cant do it then.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:48 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WPS85 View Post

Here's some advice so you can be a professional someday?

Acting like a professional really means doing what it takes to make others think of you as reliable, respectful, and competent. Depending on where you work and the type of job you have, this can take on many different forms.

There are, however, quite a few common traits when it comes to being professional. This includes the following:

1. Competence. You’re good at what you do – and you have the skills and knowledge that enable you to do your job well. You highlighted skills but IMHO the knowledge should be highlighted you need the knowledge to use your skills properly. Take that picture to any one with a ISA certification or horticulture degree and they will tell you that is a very poor example of tree care

2. Reliability. People can depend on you to show up on time, submit your work when it’s supposed to be ready, etc.

3. Honesty. You tell the truth and are upfront about where things stand.

4. Integrity. You are known for your consistent principles.

5. Respect For Others. Treating all people as if they mattered is part of your approach. How about because they matter you probably just mispoke but that stood out to me

6. Self-Upgrading. Rather than letting your skills or knowledge become outdated, you seek out ways of staying current. I strongly agree your Knowledge needs to be consistently upgraded but if you are growing your business you will loose you field skills and that's not a bad thing, more like a badge of honor. You do need to be sharpening other skills like management, human resources, accounting, forecasting.

7. Being Positive. No one likes a constant pessimist. Having an upbeat attitude and trying to be a problem-solver makes a big difference.

8. Listening Carefully. People want to be heard, so you give people a chance to explain their ideas properly.
You spoke a couple of times about knowledge but it appears yours is limited in the field of Arborculture. This is not a slam or any disrespect to you just pointing out a fact. I have been on this forum for years learning and sharing my knowledge. It is just irresponsible to let that job pass as horticulturally correct.

The client may like it now but in 5 years or so when those trees begin to decline and they call a real professional out to diagnose the problem they wont have to look too hard to figure it out.

You know athletes on steroids look great for a while but in the long run that which made them so good causes their early demise.

Clients look to us for guidance, to know our craft. They may have ideas of how they like things to look but I have rarely had a client say "I don't care if it shortens the lifespan of the tree by 50% or more prune it like that."

Lastly if that's the look the client likes it can be achieved by making selective pruning cuts it won't be quite as tight but the look can be kept consistent and the trees will remain healthy. It will take longer but if they own 6 acres on the ocean cost should not be a concern. So its a win win you make more money and the trees get a better chance at survival.

That is if you are a professional and have the knowledge and skills to prune the tree properly...

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Az Gardener View Post
You spoke a couple of times about knowledge but it appears yours is limited in the field of Arborculture. This is not a slam or any disrespect to you just pointing out a fact. I have been on this forum for years learning and sharing my knowledge. It is just irresponsible to let that job pass as horticulturally correct.

The client may like it now but in 5 years or so when those trees begin to decline and they call a real professional out to diagnose the problem they wont have to look too hard to figure it out.

You know athletes on steroids look great for a while but in the long run that which made them so good causes their early demise.

Clients look to us for guidance, to know our craft. They may have ideas of how they like things to look but I have rarely had a client say "I don't care if it shortens the lifespan of the tree by 50% or more prune it like that."

Lastly if that's the look the client likes it can be achieved by making selective pruning cuts it won't be quite as tight but the look can be kept consistent and the trees will remain healthy. It will take longer but if they own 6 acres on the ocean cost should not be a concern. So its a win win you make more money and the trees get a better chance at survival.

That is if you are a professional and have the knowledge and skills to prune the tree properly...
Are you blind! They will never decline!! I have trained these trees to be trimmed this way. 10 years of trimming 2 times a year and I have never a had problem with the trees. These trees will turn into the ugly blobs touching the ground that you think looks good in 3 years if left alone. Did you look at the before pics thats only 9 months of growth. Your problem is your overly impressed with my work and you wish you had these skills. I am a humble person. I am not the best, but I am good at what I do because of many years of practice and experience.

Here is a few more pics especially for you.

Old 07-31-2011, 01:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

http://www.plantamnesty.org/PRUNING/shearmadness.aspx

".... shearing does great violence to plants which have been chosen for their secondary characteristic of fine branch patterns. Such a plant is Star Magnolia, which is valued for its flowers, but is also valued for its beautiful branch patterns and fuzzy buds. Other trees and shrubs highly valued for their fine branch patterns are the double file viburnum, Harry Lauder's walking stick, Japanese maple and Eastern dogwood. Shearing ruins them."

(boxwoods above look great, btw...)

www.PerfectEarthLandscape.com

Follow my updates and pictures on Facebook and LawnSite
Old 07-31-2011, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArenaLandscaping R.I. View Post
Are you blind! They will never decline!! I have trained these trees to be trimmed this way. 10 years of trimming 2 times a year and I have never a had problem with the trees. These trees will turn into the ugly blobs touching the ground that you think looks good in 3 years if left alone. Did you look at the before pics thats only 9 months of growth. Your problem is your overly impressed with my work and you wish you had these skills. I am a humble person. I am not the best, but I am good at what I do because of many years of practice and experience.
Wow10 years of a tree that has a 75 to 100 year lifespan if it takes monthly pruning to keep them healthy and looking good that's what it takes. But the fact is if you pruned them correctly making selective cuts you would have less vegetative growth and they would hold their shape better.

I have no interest in your "pruning skills" if you brought those pictures to me in an interview I would not hire you. I am more concerned in bringing up the standards of our industry, this is done by educating wherever possible.

I have not worked in the field consistently for nearly 20 years. I am ashamed to say I have a picture, similar to those you have provided, taken in 1980 with me proudly (and much thinner ) standing beside some Rosemary and Olives that looked very similar to your pictures.

The difference is that I was 19 and I have learned better. I still learn and I do teach and I am considered an expert in the industry by my peers here in AZ. So I'm not really jealous of your skill, just doing my part to raise the standards in the industry.

If you are as humble as you say, you will crack a book in the off season do some reading and come back a better more educated professional in the spring.

“If I accept you as you are, I will make you worse; however, if I treat you as though you are what you are capable of becoming, I help you become that.”
Old 07-31-2011, 03:18 PM
LawnSite Member

I think what is being said by some of the guys is being taken out of context. They are not saying you are a "bad trimmer". The shapes you have pruned are great. I believe that was said. What they are saying, not in a "bashing" way, is that the landscape value of a Acer palmatum is a natural look. They are to be hand pruned to maintain a tight form, but not shaped. That is what is being said by others. I am not saying you aren't good at what you do, I am just saying that the outcome of the trees is unpleasant to the eye. The boxwoods and other shrubs look very clean and orderly. With the trees shaped it takes your focus off of the other greenery that is very clean. I know books are over rated and you learn more by being in the field, but the longevity of the plant is very important for the homeowner. I am not bashing your skills as a pruner or your work, just giving some helpful advice.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:26 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectEarth View Post
http://www.plantamnesty.org/PRUNING/shearmadness.aspx

".... shearing does great violence to plants which have been chosen for their secondary characteristic of fine branch patterns. Such a plant is Star Magnolia, which is valued for its flowers, but is also valued for its beautiful branch patterns and fuzzy buds. Other trees and shrubs highly valued for their fine branch patterns are the double file viburnum, Harry Lauder's walking stick, Japanese maple and Eastern dogwood. Shearing ruins them."

(boxwoods above look great, btw...)
Thanks for posting the links, it's now in my favorites for educational purposes.For me, I think it's best to leave some character to avoid shocking the wife or neighbors and being labeled the butcher