Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #61  
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 AM
ProMaintenance's Avatar
ProMaintenance ProMaintenance is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Corvallis Oregon
Posts: 37
So last night I read this thread. I honestly had never heard of or seen a Japanese Maple trimmed in the manner of your pictures. Sure enough a client asked me this morning to take a hedge trimmer to a neglected 50 year old jap maple in his front yard. I just cringed and grabbed a saw and my felcos and did it the right way. When it comes to trees if i wouldn't do it in front of my arboriculture professor I wont do it.
__________________
Veteran Owned
Not a Firefighter
http://www.jandersonmaintenance.com/

You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Reply With Quote
  #62  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:50 PM
lmlawn lmlawn is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Rhode Island
Posts: 92
jap maples all look like that in RI....keep up the awesome work man!!
Reply With Quote
  #63  
Old 01-05-2012, 03:52 PM
ArenaLandscaping ArenaLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by lmlawn View Post
jap maples all look like that in RI....keep up the awesome work man!!
Thanks man !!!
Reply With Quote
  #64  
Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM
weeze's Avatar
weeze weeze is offline
LawnSite Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: weezertonfieldville
Posts: 4,700
i think they look awesome. that's how you want shrubs/trees around your house. very nice and tight and neat. you don't want them all bushy looking. people talk about natural? there's no such thing as natural trimming. in nature they are out in the woods and never ever get trimmed. you trim them to keep them neat around your house. and the mushroom look goes along well with the other shrubs. it would look dumb to keep the jap maples bushy looking while everything else was tight, neat, and smooth looking. there's nothing i hate more than a home with bushy looking shrubs and trees around it.

i'm not saying there is a right or wrong way to trim them. maybe there is a better way but who cares? so what if they only live 50 years instead of 75. they look very healthy to me. so who knows. it really doesn't matter. the owner could easily afford to buy new ones to plant there to replace them when the time comes which will probably not even happen in the owner's lifetime.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #65  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:07 PM
ArenaLandscaping ArenaLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
i think they look awesome. that's how you want shrubs/trees around your house. very nice and tight and neat. you don't want them all bushy looking. people talk about natural? there's no such thing as natural trimming. in nature they are out in the woods and never ever get trimmed. you trim them to keep them neat around your house. and the mushroom look goes along well with the other shrubs. it would look dumb to keep the jap maples bushy looking while everything else was tight, neat, and smooth looking. there's nothing i hate more than a home with bushy looking shrubs and trees around it.

i'm not saying there is a right or wrong way to trim them. maybe there is a better way but who cares? so what if they only live 50 years instead of 75. they look very healthy to me. so who knows. it really doesn't matter. the owner could easily afford to buy new ones to plant there to replace them when the time comes which will probably not even happen in the owner's lifetime.
Thanks Jason !
Reply With Quote
  #66  
Old 01-05-2012, 05:39 PM
carloslawnmaintain57's Avatar
carloslawnmaintain57 carloslawnmaintain57 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: South Suburbs (Chicago) IL
Posts: 8
They look great,Awesome Job u seen to pay attention to detail of this which is nice.U don't get much of that really today.
Reply With Quote
  #67  
Old 01-06-2012, 08:30 AM
ArenaLandscaping ArenaLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by carloslawnmaintain57 View Post
They look great,Awesome Job u seen to pay attention to detail of this which is nice.U don't get much of that really today.
Thanks !!!!
Reply With Quote
  #68  
Old 01-06-2012, 04:15 PM
Mark Oomkes Mark Oomkes is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 5,739
Any chance we can see a pic of them now that the leaves are off?
Reply With Quote
  #69  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:07 PM
ArenaLandscaping ArenaLandscaping is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes View Post
Any chance we can see a pic of them now that the leaves are off?
Sure, but it will have to be sometime next week. I will be in that area and I will take a few pictures of all the japanese maples.
Reply With Quote
  #70  
Old 01-06-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnMan19's Avatar
LawnMan19 LawnMan19 is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Where I need to be
Posts: 3,206
Yeah, I don't trim jap maples like that but their kind of neat looking like that, and if that's how their kept where your at I understand. And your other shrub work looks great.
__________________
'' hard workers never slack and slackers never work hard.''
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:07 PM.

Page generated in 0.07945 seconds with 7 queries